Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Blown out tubeless Kenda Sealant compatible tire

5K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  shiggy 
#1 ·
I have the new set of 29er Mavic crossmax SLR rims, decided on kenda small block eight tubeless using sealant compatible tires. They sealed up perfectly then added the stans thru the valve core no problem, aired them up to 40 psi and all is good. I checked the air today and no air loss, yeah! So i added a bit more to 50 PSI and went ona pavement test ride, this is in the early am, temp is in the low 50s and bike is stored in the garage, at lunch time i decided to clean the rings, the temp is now in the low 70s and was doing so when the rear tire blew of the rim giving me nice small shower of stans. The bike was in direct sunlight, so i am thinking the cold air from the morning in the tire expanded and since it was at max 50 psi it didnt take much to blow off. I was able to seal the tire back up but noticed i was able to reseat tire with my bare hands where it took some work with tire levers before. Has this happened to anyone, is the tire compromised?

#3 ·
I had a Kenda Small Block 8 explode after setting it up tubeless. It was a non-tubeless model tire and I am set up ghetto tubeless on WTB rims with gorilla tape and homebrew sealant. My theory has always been that something in my sealant mix caused the pressure to increase after I initially set it up... I cranked it up to 50 or so doing the lay-it-on-a-bucket-and-flip routine when I initially set them up... first ride out I aired it up to 40 or so (after pressure was lost overnight). I noticed a weird hop in the tire... looked like it wasn't seated up right, but it was...the tread was stretching out in a most weird way, and after about 2 miles, BOOOM. Sounded like a shotgun. The tread split wide open right down the middle.

I obviously voided the warranty by using it tubeless, but it was very weird. I have replaced it and have a pair of them set up ghetto tubeless now, with no issues after a few hundred miles. Could have been a defect, could have been a pressure increase due to some weird reaction in my sealant mix... I would expect it to blow off of the rim in that case though, not blast a hole right through the tread. At any rate, I use less pressure during initial set-up now. :lol:

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I started out with non SCT SB8s and the front held up fine, the first attempt with the rear, the tire started to blister in several areas and didnt seem to be sealing well, so then i bought the SCT version thinking its same as tubeless or 2Bliss but shiggy schooled me on that. I have run non SCT SB8 tubeless with no issues on the stock rims that came with the lefty. this is my first time to have issues, guess i was due. So I decided to 86 the Kendas and go with the 2Bliss ready Specialized Fast Trak on the front and Renegade on the back and I already have them on :) It took a month to get the wheels im ready to ride.

#9 ·
I now stay away from Kenda after having a Nevagal UST sidewall blow out in my garage as a result of using Stans sealant. I never went over 35 psi with the tire. I believe the sealant attacks the rubber and causes the tire to fail. I've also seen where some online sellers say the Kenda tires are not compatible with liquid sealant. I've since switched to Continental tires and have had no further issues.

#11 ·
Has this happened to anyone, is the tire compromised?
It has happened to other people. The tire is toast.
50 psi sounds a bit high, but if your tire has this hotpatch on it:

I'd say you have a good case for warranty replacement. You might check whatever gauge you used against another to make sure it is correct. Cheap pressure gauges like come on most pumps are often not that accurate.

#12 ·
I've got mixed emotions on the Kenya's, here in Austin I've been running an SB8 rear with Nevegal front at the nut for about a year. The Nevegal initially didn't want to seal up with Stan's, though after about a week it has been flawless since. The SB8 on the other hand sealed up right off the bat, but has been problem after problem since. Flats, won't seat, then wouldn't seal back up, all kinds of things. The traction is perfect for the loose over hard conditions around here, but it's such a pain to deal with. I a, running it now with a tube in the rear and tubeless front which I'm pretty happy with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.