mtbr member
    May 2011

black flag pro vs stans flow

i use the black flag pro wheels on my xc bike and love them but i just built a horsethief that i put my spare set on.I keep reading about bigger wheels having higher volume and such so my question is will building a set of flows with hope hubs be a noticable upgrade in performance or will the extra weight be a disadvantage?im about 200# and ride what i guess what would be considered am or trail (it used to just be mountain biking)but i ride about everything norcal offers roots,rocks,singletrack,and lots of climbing.no huge air or giant drops but i do enjoy my downhills so what do you all think?

mtbr member
    I'm about your weight and ride hard sometimes on a Salsa Big Mama. I have Hope Pro 2 laced to Flows with DT Supercomps. I can't compare them to the other wheels you have, but I can say from personal experience that wider rims and running tubeless gives improved grip.

The above wheel spec has been reliable for 1 1/2 years and I find them OK for long extended climbs because they are lighter than what they replaced. I've never had an extremely light wheel set.

I think Flow/Hope/Supercomp is a spot on all round wheel for the Horsetheif, a bike I'll be having a big look a later in the year.

There's a decent thread on the 30mm Chinese rims that you've probably already seen. They seem OK on the surface and are a weight saving of about 100g per rim. Personally I'd like to see some mid to long term reviews.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    really only one opinion

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fast540 View Post
    really only one opinion
    I have been considering the Black Flags as a upgrade for my SS but have trouble pulling the trigger since they are only 28 spokes. Now I am over it and grabbed another set of Flow's instead. I have 2 sets of Flow's now, actually 3 if you count the ones on my Pitch, and no complaints. Bu my calculations, you will save about 7 oz or so with the BF's.....but the Flow's will have 4 more spokes per wheel and are bound to be stiffer.

I would really love to hear how you think these BF's perform for a bigger guy and would also like to know if you have ever ridden Flows. I mean, if the Ringles are working for you then why change? If you want something that is bomb proof then try the Flow's. I have personally come to realize that getting on your bike and not having to wonder about how something is going to hold up under a "big guys" weight is well worth the tradeoff of a few ounces here and there.,,especially with something like a wheelset.

Hell, depending on the tires you are running, you may be able to go with the "Flow" and offset the weight gain by getting into lighter tires.....if the weight is THAT big of a deal.
    The more you ride it, the lighter it gets.
    '12 Santa Cruz TallBoy
    '11 Vassago Bandersnatch
    '08 Specilaized Pitch Pro

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ive run the bf wheels on my 2011 spearfish since i built it and they are awsome so much so i got another set to use as spare/winter wheels with different tires so now i just built this horsethief and have a brand new wheelset w/tires hanging up so i threw them on but they are skinny, people keep talking about more volume from wide wheels so im thinking maybe gain some advantage there plus some fattie white wheels would look cool on my new bike,but looks alone isnt worth 500$ and a night of wheel building

Sweep the leg!
    I know a few Ringle employees so I've gotten the discount on a few sets of their wheels and so have a few other of their friends. We range from 100# girls to 260# former NFL players. We all race or for ride recreation. I haven't had any complaints and I haven't heard any complaints.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Carbon & Ti rule
    The truth is that some people have much more feel for what's going on with there bike than some others.

Between the 2 wheels being talked about it is true some people just wouldn't feel the difference but to others the difference would seem huge, So very hard for someone to advise you.

I like the Sun Ringle wheels & have many sets my self( Charger Expert ) & I also have many sets of flows. I like the Sun Ringle rims.

I did work out along time ago that I like the wider rims much more than the Narrower rim, But I do have alot of feel for whats going on.

I have not tryed the black flag pros but do have some Arch's so that is my reference point.

It's less about any extra volume you will add & more about the extra leverage the rim has over the tyre for a given PSI.

So it's your call from here, if you think it will help you or not.

But 4 my 2 c if you are riding your bike thinking that maybe you should be on wider rims, That will slow you down.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 03-14-2012 at 12:37 AM.

mtbr member
    If you can wait a little while, consider the Flow EX rims. They're almost 3mm wider internally (1.1mm wider externally) and are the same weight as the original Flow rims.

Even though I love my Flows (and they're practically new), I'll be relacing the wheels with the Flow EX's when they're available.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

The White Jeff W
    If you like the Black Flags why not Chargers?
    No moss...

mtbr member
    I have a set of black flag experts, the free hub went bad and had to be rebuilt. Ringle was nice about fixing the problem and warrantied the product.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    If you can wait a little while, consider the Flow EX rims. They're almost 3mm wider internally (1.1mm wider externally) and are the same weight as the original Flow rims.

Even though I love my Flows (and they're practically new), I'll be relacing the wheels with the Flow EX's when they're available.
    Any more info on availability for these? I had heard they were coming eventually, but no dates.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

BFP + 20mm = PITA

my only complaint with the black flag pros is the front hub with the 20mm adapter. when it's on the fork, it's great but the adapters don't fit tight on the hub until they are clamped in. This means getting everything to line up when adding/removing the wheel is a real pain.