Or, who can beat the Wiggle box -
Bike store race! This was a race to see whose free shipping arrived the quickest to Portland Oregon. All on-line orders were place on a Monday before 9 A.M. at the shipping location. Shipping was the default means of free shipping. All items showed as in-stock at the originating site at the time of order.
Performance Bike, shipping out of North Carolina. Shipping method - Ship to store
Universal Cycle, shipping out of multiple locations across the U.S. Shipping method - Ship to store
Jenson U.S.A., shipping out of California. Shipping method - U.S.P.S Priority.
A local well-regarded LBS, whose name shall remain namelessÖ Shipping method - U.P.S ground.
Wiggle, shipping from the U.K. Shipping method - Parcel Force > U.S.P.S.
Competitive Cyclist, shipping from Utah. Shipping method - U.P.S ground
And the winners are -
1. Universal Cycle. All items arrived in 2 days in perfect condition. All items shipped same day. Emails sent confirming order placement, shipment, and receipt at the store. As long as you can (or donít mind) pick the items up from their retail store, you get 2-day shipping on whatever you like for free. Considering that there were several originating locations for the items, their logistics model appears most sophisticated as well.
2. Competitive Cyclist. All items arrived in 3 days in perfect condition. All items shipped same day. Emails sent confirming order placement and shipment. Competitive Cyclist, aka Back Country, aka Chain Love, aka Steep and Cheap uses vinyl envelopes whenever possible. As long as the items and their packaging are tough, thatís not normally an issue.
And the runnerís up -
3. Wiggle. All items arrived in 6 days in perfect condition. All items shipped 1 day after the order was placed. There was no additional packing material in the box. Considering that the box was somewhat deformed from the trip and the distance involved, a bit of padding would be nice. You do get free shipping from the U.K though, and at least in this case they arrived with no additional duty. The stories of fast shipping are true. In this case they shipped 5000 miles in the same time that Jenson shipped about 500.
4. Jenson U.S.A. All items arrived in 4 days in perfect condition and were well packed. All items shipped the next day. Email sent confirming order placement.
5. Performance Bike. All items arrived in 13 days in perfect condition. Email sent indicating the items had been prepared for shipment. Performanceís ship-to-store free shipping is not the same as UniversalĎs. As far as I can determine, they donít ship individual orders. Instead, your items are added to the next scheduled delivery to the local store, whenever that is. Performance has other forms of inexpensive shipping for most items. If you want your items quickly, their store-to-store isnít likely to float your boat.
6. LBS. Items arrived in 17 days. No email or other communication of any type at any time. These were two items ordered (and confirmed as in-stock) from Specialized. Where were they? Who knows. The only communication was from me, asking where they were. It seems likely that, in order to save shipping costs, the shop requested that the items be shipped with their next normal order. Sorry LBS...
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Thread: Bike Store Race!
Check out the hottest mountain bike products from these brands!
See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »