mtbr member

Best Tubeless Tire for a 29er

Looking for a great Lightweight, durable, Tubeless tire to go on a set of Stans Arch EX Rims for a Niner Jet 9 RDO 29er. I have 2.3 Geax Gatos on my bike now & I think they are very heavy. Woud like something that has good grip and can withstand some rough rocky terrain at the same time. Any suggestions?
    Single Track Rules!

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    It is hard to find lightweight tires, especially durable ones to withstand rocky conditions. I would check out Schwalbe's website. Get a tire suited for your riding style with snakeskin protection.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseNotes View Post
    Looking for a great Lightweight, durable, Tubeless tire to go on a set of Stans Arch EX Rims for a Niner Jet 9 RDO 29er. I have 2.3 Geax Gatos on my bike now & I think they are very heavy. Woud like something that has good grip and can withstand some rough rocky terrain at the same time. Any suggestions?
    Define "lightweight"?

The word "durable" for a tubeless tire will start to add weight, so what is your range of weight that is acceptable to you if the Geax Gatos 2.3 is around 790-850g per tire?

BB

Sup
    durability, traction , light weight
    pick 2
    The schwalbe nobby nic 29 snakeskin 2.35 is what I like on the front for midwest rocky riding. It works great here but might suck where you are. location location location is the most important thing when picking a tire.
    Start by asking the guys at the local trail what works for them vs hitting the web for the E riders.

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    I've been told to look into the Maxxis Ignitor and the Tioga Psycho. Not sure about weights. I think they are both lighter than the Gatos.
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    I am totally sold on Specialized tires. The Ground Control and Purgatory are good choices. Light weight and durable don't really go in the same sentence.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    +1 on the Ground Control.....I also ride the Bontrager 29.2 Team Issue....great fast rolling tire...

here is the one I am rolling with...

Bontrager: 29-2 (Model #08763)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Nobby Noc rear and Hand Dampf front is my favorite combination. Also really liking the Maxxis ignitor rear and ardent front. Depends on your trails and your personal preferences. Racing Ralphs are great light weight tires as well. Roll really well, have good traction but the sidewall flex is something you need to get used to. Still freaks me out a bit and they are pricey. Pick some, ride 'em till they wear out then try another

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Specialized makes great 29er tubeless tires. Their FEA tread is amazing. Claimed weights are often more than actual weight!

I keep wanting to try Ikon EXO but the 3 or 4 sets of Specialized 2Bliss over the past few years have never let me down in any regard. One of the few things I pay retail or close to retail for.

If you don't have a Speci dealer nearby or their selection is lacking you can order direct from the Specialized site.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    +1 on Tioga Psycho

I Ride Bikes
    I have the Specialized Purg's 2.3 and Ground Control 2.1 on my bike. I have no complaints. I ride in mossy, rooty, rainforest like trails. These tires grip and maneuver like a boss.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Another vote for Nobby Nic rear and Hand Dampf front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PB Matrix View Post
    +1 on Tioga Psycho
    Agreed!!! The Psycho will out last any Schwalbe product...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have S Works ground control, they are light, roll fast, corner nice and I have never had a flat. I ride cross country with lots of roots and sand. No much for rocks here. 537 grams on my scale

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    i use fast track, 2.0 rear and 2.2 front..... very fast and also for more grip schwalbe racing ralph 2.25 rear and rocket ron 2.25 front .... nice combination but less weight = more weak

Demon Cleaner
    Love the Hans Dampf air volume to weight ratio and tough sidewalls, but the tread doesn't like rocky trails. Like the Specialized Butcher tread pattern. Great front tire but could use more air volume. Current favorite is the Maxxis Ardent. Does nothing "great" (well maybe roll, it does roll fast) but does everything "well." Just a great all around tire in my conditions. (Dry and rocky)
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Wtb weirwolf and bronson. Have been very durable, i think they are fairly light.