Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 333940414243
Results 4,201 to 4,223 of 4223
    saddlemeat
    ^WSS, the Stan's clones.
    I ride with the best dogs.

I like turtles
    I have a video of my BAMFS, will post soon.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro are #@$%

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Have others had problems with homebrew formulations containing ammonia eating through the adhesive on various tapes? I've Gorilla Tape, Gorilla Clear Repair Tape, Chemtape (chemical-resistant duct-tape), strapping tape, and a few others fail on me using my Latex/PG/Windex/water/slime formulation.

It seems that many folks are using formulations without ammonia, so the question is WHETHER AMMONIA IS BENEFICIAL, or does it just result in me re-taping rims every month?!

I like turtles
    Been running ammonia-based homebrew for several years with no issues ever with my tape - both Stan's yellow tape and Gorilla.

B.Ike
    no problems w/ammonia and tape...or with out.

saddlemeat
    No problems with tape and ammonia, maybe scrub your rims with a solvent, alcohol, and soapy water.

mtbr member
    I have been running tubeless since year 2000.

Have tried most on the way to a perfect tubeless setup.

Started like most with latex based sealants.

They dry out and stop sealing pretty fast if you live in a warm climate.
    They also ruin clothes and whatever they get on (when you get a hole in the rear tyre and continue riding you get a nice pattern of latex on your back if the hole is not very small.

Like most I started out with rim strips and kits from Stan and Swiss and a couple of other similar inferior products. Did not know better.

Now I ride with real tubeless wheels, real tubeless (not tubeless ready) tyres, use latex- and poison- free sealant that is not drying out but last as long as the tyres do.
    That way I spend more time riding my bike and less messing around with getting the rims airtight, getting the sealant to cover too thin side-walls, which is really time consuming.

Latex is good for doctors and nurses gloves and probably a lot of other things, but for sealing tyres is sucks.

If you live in the US try Quadboss ATV sealant, it last the lifetime of the tyres, if you live in Europe there are now so many making latex free sealant that you can google and find them.

If you want to save a few bucks and spend a lot of time mixing and experimenting: Good luck.

I just want to spend my spare time riding my bike.
    errare humanum est

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by klavius View Post
    Hi

Are all the sealants the same? Do they all get that sticky?

I'm a pragmatic person, I prefer to enjoy the ride rather than worry about equipment, grams, ounces, obsesive maintenance, etc.

Attachment 1018010
    Attachment 1018011Attachment 1018012Attachment 1018013Attachment 1018014

No.
    Try latex free sealant from Quadboss. Will not dry out and will seal most holes and last liquid till the tyres need to be replaced.
    errare humanum est

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by las-palmas View Post
    No.
    Try latex free sealant from Quadboss. Will not dry out and will seal most holes and last liquid till the tyres need to be replaced.
    Yeah right...

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Has anyone else tried this Quadboss sealant? I'd love a sealant that doesn't dry out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    Has anyone else tried this Quadboss sealant? I'd love a sealant that doesn't dry out.
    Yeah. 5 years.
    No mess,
    no mixing,
    no waste of time trying to get a formula right,
    no sticky latex on clothes,
    no latex that dry out and need to be replaced (after a while the dried out sealant will be heavier than than the wheel),
    no fun trying to find a formula that is better than the companies that work with sealants professionally are doing.
    Lots of reasons to do what you like the most.
    Me: I like riding my bike more than mixing sealants!
    errare humanum est

saddlemeat
    ^Sorry you had such a bad experience, why are you on this thread about homebrew sealant? You kinda sound like a shill. Pretty obvious you don't really mtb and use sealant.

mtbr member
    But wait...there's more!!!

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    But wait...there's more!!!
    more!? you don't say?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    "after a while the dried out sealant will be heavier than than the wheel" - sounds like a challenge to me
    Anybody have dried out sealant in tires that weighs over 1450g? How about over 1000g?

I like turtles
    I have had a tire for a few years that in the end weighed ~100g more than it started with from dried sealant. I was shocked.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy13 View Post
    Any thoughts on the Caffe Latex additive and their claim it doesn't play well with ammonia?

image: http://68.media.tumblr.com/61d69fb11...u2bo1_1280.jpg

Effetto Mariposa has a prototype powder that is added to its Caffe Latex tire sealant. This additive allows for better sealing of larger punctures. It’s a similar concept to other tubeless solutions that feature additives, but the V-CL additive is not packaged with the Caffe Latex in order to facilitate easier installation. While it may work with other sealants, representatives were quick to note that not all sealants are created equal, so use at your own risk. Some sealants, for example, contain ammonia, which doesn’t play nice with the V-CL additive.
    Yep. with CaffeLatex I had a hole in the rear tire and got a long pattern up the back of my jersey. It never got off.
    errare humanum est

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    ^Sorry you had such a bad experience, why are you on this thread about homebrew sealant? You kinda sound like a shill. Pretty obvious you don't really mtb and use sealant.
    I am sure you are right. Everybody is right about something. What you are right about you may know or not know.
    I am here because I saw somebody asking if all sealants are sticky and I answered.
    I do not know what “really mtb” mean for you. Maybe you can tell me the secret words you use to be a real mtb’er.
    I used sealants from when it was a new thing (1999) because I was tired of changing or fixing tubes and back then latex was the only thing to use. Latex will dry out and stop closing punctures; still most of the “real users” of sealants use that kind of amateur stuff in their tires. Latex will harm some tyres and some paint types and also some of the types of material rims are made of.
    If you are the little chemist trying to make a new kind of sealant and improve what Stan and the others are doing: Good luck.
    I prefer to ride on the trails in the mountains with thorns and lava and rocks that to try to destroy to my tires and prevent the sealant I have in them to stop sealing the holes I pick up on my way. If you prefer mixing things that could be poisonous and harm the environment that some of us want to enjoy unharmed instead of riding that is your choice.
    Then again, what do I know, I am just an old guy riding my Mojo and the worst is that I am still on 26” so you are right. I must know nothing.
    errare humanum est

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy13 View Post
    "after a while the dried out sealant will be heavier than than the wheel" - sounds like a challenge to me
    Anybody have dried out sealant in tires that weighs over 1450g? How about over 1000g?
    That is right. Most will have worn out the tires long before that could happen. Exaggerate if you want to make your point.
    Still latex dry out, stop sealing holes and when you add new the weight will increase. I use a bit less than 200ml Quadboss sealant and when my tires need to be replaced the stuff is still liquid and will still seal holes. Get latex on your clothes and it will never get off again.
    errare humanum est

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by las-palmas View Post
    That is right. Most will have worn out the tires long before that could happen. Exaggerate if you want to make your point.
    Still latex dry out, stop sealing holes and when you add new the weight will increase. I use a bit less than 200ml Quadboss sealant and when my tires need to be replaced the stuff is still liquid and will still seal holes. Get latex on your clothes and it will never get off again.
    Adding 200ml to a tire is ~6.75 ounces. No wonder you do not notice it drying.

My home brew of 1 part latex and 3 parts windshield washer fluid seems to work on my road bike, fat bike and all in between. I experience ~ 50% evaporation/drying over 6 months, from a 3.5 oz dose in a 4" fat tire.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I just tried making up a batch of wss (1pt mold builder, 1 pt slime, 3 pts rv pg) and put 4 oz in each tire. I have Nates with fatty strippers. After 3 days the bead is still foaming and seeping out a clear looking liquid. I didn't have any seeping like this with stans. Is this normal?

The rv pg is 30% PG and 70% water

saddlemeat
    ^Have you been riding it? Because that can go on forever, with any sealant, if you are just letting it sit. Important to get everything seated properly by riding, especially a new install.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    ^Have you been riding it? Because that can go on forever, with any sealant, if you are just letting it sit. Important to get everything seated properly by riding, especially a new install.
    I hope to get out and ride today. I've just been doing the Stans shake and keeping them inflated.

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 333940414243

Members who have read this thread: 489