Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142
Results 4,101 to 4,130 of 4130
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Any recommendations on formula or ratio for weather where temperature is around 104F?

saddlemeat
    ^Same same. Check every few weeks/monthly for evaporative shrinkage, top off. Beats walking home in the heat...
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    So I got a sidewall cut right above the bead.
    My home-brew will seal it but when I ride it moves around and ends up breaking the seal.

The tire also ... slighty bulges at this point. Not much but slightly.

What are my options here?

Sew plus patch? Or Add more chunkulators?
    Anyone have this?

I'd like to at least make the tire useable for some abuse on the road... and by abuse I mean just road miles....

damned rocks...
    If its a small cut, l just plug it, and patch it from inside.
    If it's a big cut, sew it and patch it.
    I have done some plugs and patches on sidewalls slaches and they last until the tire die of old age.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    If its a small cut, l just plug it, and patch it from inside.
    If it's a big cut, sew it and patch it.
    I have done some plugs and patches on sidewalls slaches and they last until the tire die of old age.
    Awesome ! Thanks, Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a pipe-dream.

I like turtles
    Ok. What does everyone think the "XL" crystals in Stan's Race formula are? My BAMFS is basically this...i use more cornmeal than I think is in regular Stan's by the looks of it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

I like turtles
    Less we not forget...http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6782931.html

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've been using the slime/amm/latex/af/cornmeal in tubes. I eventually dropped the cornmeal, as it just clogged the injector even on a schrader valve.
    I rarely keep these bikes longer than a week, and add sealant before sending bike out.
    Today, I found one flat. It had a small on the rim side of the tube. It spat sealant, but wouldn't seal. (This was with the tube out). I replaced the sealant with Stan's, it wouldn't seal either.
    This has led me to question whether the mix is working, or is the cornmeal necessary, or does it need constant sealant as it would get in the out circumference of the tube, where a puncture would normally occur? Any thoughts, on tube sealing?

chasing simplicity
    I know what it's like to be dead. "To Die & Live In LA."

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    The way the sealant works is the shear forces as it blows out of a tire caues the the latex to solidify. I can't immagine getting enough pressure in a tube that is out of a tire to do the job
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Anyone using the new Slime STR and actually had a puncture with it?

Couple advertised things I like about it:
    - Supposed to be able to mix with latex based sealant if needed
    - higher lower temperature range (in case levae bike in car on hot day or something)
    - General longer lasting not supposed to dry up over time.

Just looking for experiences and thoughts.

thanks
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Elitest thrill junkie
    I just use automotive slime in my mix. It's cheap.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    Anyone using the new Slime STR and actually had a puncture with it?

Couple advertised things I like about it:
    - Supposed to be able to mix with latex based sealant if needed
    - higher lower temperature range (in case levae bike in car on hot day or something)
    - General longer lasting not supposed to dry up over time.

Just looking for experiences and thoughts.

thanks
    Yes, I have a few gallons of the stuff. At this point, I'd stay away from it. There are several things going on with this new sealant formula from Slime, both good and really bad.

First the bad - the fibers that they've used as a plugging medium absolutely do not work. First off, if you have the big jug with the pump, the fibers clump and clog it up immediately rendering it useless, regardless of how much you shake it up to get the massive amount of fibers suspended in solution. Second, the rotation of the bike wheel causes the fibers to clump into really tight little pellets of felt, and the more they roll, the tighter they get, never again to float in suspension and seal punctures. So, once this happens, all that's left is the liquid sealant. See the felt pellets below.
    Best Tubeless Brew?-str-1.jpg

The good - I really think they're on to something with the liquid component of this sealant. It stays liquid and fluid for way, way longer than any Stan's or homebrew stan's clones I've used or made. Additionally, to date, there are no negative issues with the liquid solidifying out and making "Stanimals" due to CO2 or evap. The liquid component appears to do what I want it to, and even worked pretty good on sealing up some very porous sidewalls on a non tubeless Schwalbe Hans Dampf. Unfortunately, these Schwalbe's sidewalls were too thin and porous for ANY sealant to fix them permanently, so I had to abandon that project. I've since set up several Maxxis + and Schwalbe Jumbo Jim fatties and other tubeless ready tires without any issue whatsoever, NO air loss at all.

I filtered out all the fibers through a paint strainer from the first gallon I got - resulted in a tight wad of paper like fibers about the size of a baseball - way too much stuff. I'm currently working on replacing these fibers with a different plugging media. Cornmeal, unlike in Stan's clones, does not swell up and get sticky, it stays like sand and sinks out - so that's not an option. I've got a small batch going with some finely chopped feather fibers, and these seem to be staying in suspension and not settling out, but also don't appear to be clumping, so I think I'm on to something. Glitter just sinks, pepper might be worth looking into. Anyone know where to get fine rubber crumb?
    I would advise not taking my advice.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    Anyone know where to get fine rubber crumb?
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s=rubber+crumb

mtbr member
    I've been meaning to try this for years... got out all the ingredients on my kitchen table, opened up my latex mold builder I bought in 2015 and it was the consistency of cheese spread, sort of solid and kind of sticking together. I assume it's shot? I've never opened it before and imagined it would be more like , I dunno, salad dressing. Like it would pour.

I can't remember ever having opened it before but I must have, the seal was peeled off.

Same as this stuff
    https://www.amazon.com/Builder-Liqui.../dp/B001E1XBLO

No Clue Crew
    Odd... my last batch separates in the jug. I don't seem to remember this happening previously...

28 oz PG
    28 oz RO water
    8 oz ammonia
    Mix well
    Small handful of hair
    1 tabelspoon corn meal
    1 teaspoon xantham gum
    Mix well
    16 oz mold builder
    Mix well

Best Tubeless Brew?-2017-07-11-18.14.56.jpg

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    couple of my observations I will add to this for you guys. First the type of caulk. I actually selected 3 different types of caulk. 1 was the common acrylic latex plus silicone caulk. Next was a 50/50 silicone/latex and the last was just labeled "white Latex".

I did a few experiments with them to test setting speed before I mixed anything. I found that as I went from Latex toward the silicone I went from quick setting to slow setting. Also, one other thing that made me select the cheap "White latex" was the weight. The Latex only caulk was significantly heavier than the other caulks, Had a weight similar to that of the mold builder...
    Anybody know how to identify just "white latex" caulking at Home Depot without Silicone or Acrylic?

SDS for DAP Model # 18542 Alex Flex 10.1 oz. White Premium Molding and Trim Sealant It's mostly Limestone, with small amount of petroleum dissolates, diethelyne gylcol dibenzoate and monobenzoate, titanium dioxide, parofinnic solvent, and quartz.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Odd... my last batch separates in the jug. I don't seem to remember this happening previously...

28 oz PG
    28 oz RO water
    8 oz ammonia
    Mix well
    Small handful of hair
    1 tabelspoon corn meal
    1 teaspoon xantham gum
    Mix well
    16 oz mold builder
    Mix well

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-07-11 18.14.56.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	1150559
    That's how WSS looks too, just shake.
    I ride with the best dogs.

DFMBA.org
    Just picked up a new container at Wally World for a few bucks. Called a Rubbermaid MixerMate (1 gal). Seals really well, pop-up pour top, and mouth wide enough to fit a drill mixer into. I'm In case anyone was Looking for a different container.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    I've been meaning to try this for years... got out all the ingredients on my kitchen table, opened up my latex mold builder I bought in 2015 and it was the consistency of cheese spread, sort of solid and kind of sticking together. I assume it's shot? I've never opened it before and imagined it would be more like , I dunno, salad dressing. Like it would pour.

I can't remember ever having opened it before but I must have, the seal was peeled off.

Same as this stuff
    https://www.amazon.com/Builder-Liqui.../dp/B001E1XBLO
    Its probably shot. New stuff pours but its really thick.

Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Wondering, how does Xanthan gum helps? what are the pros and cons of using this?

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post

28 oz PG
    28 oz RO water
    8 oz ammonia
    Mix well
    Small handful of hair
    1 tabelspoon corn meal
    1 teaspoon xantham gum
    Mix well
    16 oz mold builder
    Mix well

That's how WSS looks too, just shake.
    I know you can shake it to return to normal. I just didn't recall any version of BAMFS, OSS, or any other "Stan's Clone" that separated. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention...

Quote Originally Posted by Neogen View Post
    Wondering, how does Xanthan gum helps? what are the pros and cons of using this?
    Xantham Gum is an emulsifier. It keeps all the chunkulators suspended in the mix instead of sinking to the bottom where they can sometimes tend to "seal" to the tire itself before they can plug a hole.

PROS: It keeps the mix... uh... mixed

CONS: In some instances it has been shown to cause or increase the instances or size of boogers.
    Myself, I found that XG and rubber chunk as a chunkulator caused boogers. Another person did not see the same results. My results using dog hair and corn meal with XG has not shown any increased boogering.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I know you can shake it to return to normal. I just didn't recall any version of BAMFS, OSS, or any other "Stan's Clone" that separated. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention...

Xantham Gum is an emulsifier. It keeps all the chunkulators suspended in the mix instead of sinking to the bottom where they can sometimes tend to "seal" to the tire itself before they can plug a hole.

PROS: It keeps the mix... uh... mixed

CONS: In some instances it has been shown to cause or increase the instances or size of boogers.
    Myself, I found that XG and rubber chunk as a chunkulator caused boogers. Another person did not see the same results. My results using dog hair and corn meal with XG has not shown any increased boogering.
    Thanks a lot.. I have had a bad experience of using rubber crumbs as chunkulator - splitting and boogers. Thinking to use XG and see if it helps. In theory, rubber crumbs seems to be a good choice. Let me give a try.

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Neogen View Post
    Thanks a lot.. I have had a bad experience of using rubber crumbs as chunkulator - splitting and boogers. Thinking to use XG and see if it helps. In theory, rubber crumbs seems to be a good choice. Let me give a try.
    Short version of why rubber crumbs isn't a good idea: when you cut/grind the rubber, the exposed surfaced is chemically active and induces the latex polymerization.
    Mini version: it causes boogers .

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    Yes, I have a few gallons of the stuff. At this point, I'd stay away from it. There are several things going on with this new sealant formula from Slime, both good and really bad.

First the bad - the fibers that they've used as a plugging medium absolutely do not work. First off, if you have the big jug with the pump, the fibers clump and clog it up immediately rendering it useless, regardless of how much you shake it up to get the massive amount of fibers suspended in solution. Second, the rotation of the bike wheel causes the fibers to clump into really tight little pellets of felt, and the more they roll, the tighter they get, never again to float in suspension and seal punctures. So, once this happens, all that's left is the liquid sealant.
    I've begun testing this sealant. I experienced clogging through the applicator end of an 8oz bottle within seconds...lol. Haven't checked for clumps yet, though ultimately it shouldn't be a huge issue. If the artificial latex solution stays fluid longer, then this is a big win for me, especially since I run tubeless road too at high PSI.

Orange Seal is the only commercial sealant I've trusted on my road bike for a while because using only 1-1.5oz of other sealants means they dry out really quickly. Orange Seal generally lasts 3-4 months before it dries out, and that's about how quickly I go through tires anyway.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    Just picked up a new container at Wally World for a few bucks. Called a Rubbermaid MixerMate (1 gal). Seals really well, pop-up pour top, and mouth wide enough to fit a drill mixer into. I'm In case anyone was Looking for a different container.

Oh yes, that's the jug I use as well. I also got the smaller one (3 qt) because it fit a 5-part-of-pints mix w/o a lot of airspace. With different recipes, that's not as useful.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

Dr Gadget is IN

28 oz PG
    28 oz RO water
    8 oz ammonia
    Mix well
    Small handful of hair
    1 tabelspoon corn meal
    1 teaspoon xantham gum
    Mix well
    16 oz mold builder
    Mix well

You might want to check the mix carefully. I got one that looked like that, and a lot of the latex had polymerized into strings. Maybe not, but worth a check. That batch did not work very well and had to be dumped.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm sure someone asks this every couple pages, but is there a current "best" recipe that's popular?

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    You might want to check the mix carefully. I got one that looked like that, and a lot of the latex had polymerized into strings. Maybe not, but worth a check. That batch did not work very well and had to be dumped.
    I'll have to keep an eye on it. The latex looked perfectly fresh and I didn't use the aluminum paint can this time...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    Its probably shot. New stuff pours but its really thick.

Thanks

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142

Members who have read this thread: 452