mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Best TLR 29er Tire

Whats going on guys? Does anyone have a favorite 29er tire that would work well in mixed conditions but still be very durable? I have Bontrager Rhythms which are Bonty's TLR.....these may also fit UST tires/ i hope they do because Bontrager tires are very limited and it seems all the good looking ones do not come TRL ready. Anyone have any experience with these wheels/ tires?

-Dan

Former Bike Wrench
    I've been pretty impressed with the Specialized Purgatory 2Bliss 29 x 2.2" tires for all around use. It's a very good rear tire and a reasonably good front tire. They should mount and air up to TLR rims (with the rim strips installed) no problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    NIce thank you..... and i do have TLR strips in/ with Bonty's goop (have yet to see the stuff work though, even on very small punctures). Soon to be converting to stans with glitter...

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by sworksm3 View Post
    NIce thank you..... and i do have TLR strips in/ with Bonty's goop (have yet to see the stuff work though, even on very small punctures). Soon to be converting to stans with glitter...
    Bontrager Super Juice does a good job of sealing TLR tires and not drying up...but as you've seen sucks at sealing punctures.

You might check out some of the homebrew formula recipes on this forum. I've been using mine for three years now with no flats.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have been checking that out a bit! There are some interesting ideas.....i may try the modeling compound to coagulate superjuice in some older tires. Ill have to report my findings in that thread.
    Thanks again man, good looks!

mtbr member
    I'm with you on the bonty tlr offerings being pretty weak. I've recently put on specialized captains 2.0 front and rear and like them so far. Don't let the 2.0 size scare you, they're larger than the 2.25 bonty 29-3 that they replaced. Aired right up on bontrager tlr (Mustangs in my case) rims.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Those Captains are UST compatible? Do they seat nicely on the tlr mustangs?..... I suppose im just a bit gun shy about pulling the trigger on non bontrager TLR tires for my Rhythms. Worst case scenario is ill get all excited about a new non TLR tire..... and it wont seat correctly into the rim\ thus making me angry and grouchy for the next few days. Does anyone know whether or not Bontrager "TLR" rims are UST compatible?

Former Bike Wrench
    Does anyone know whether or not Bontrager "TLR" rims are UST compatible?
    Bontrager TLR rims with the rim strips are UST compatible and air tight without sealant with a true UST tubeless tire. They just don't pay for the UST certification (Bontrager and Mavic have had some legal disputes in the past).

mtbr member
    Those Captains are UST compatible? Do they seat nicely on the tlr mustangs?..... I suppose im just a bit gun shy about pulling the trigger on non bontrager TLR tires for my Rhythms. Worst case scenario is ill get all excited about a new non TLR tire..... and it wont seat correctly into the rim\ thus making me angry and grouchy for the next few days. Does anyone know whether or not Bontrager "TLR" rims are UST compatible?
    I got the captain "control" which, as I understand it has a ust spec bead but needs sealant for the sidewalls. That's fine, since I run sealant for thorns anyway. They also have a 'grid" version which I think is full ust. A couple of other models also (including a "sport" which I don't think is meant to be run tubeless. anyway, in my case, I just mounted the tire and ran some soapy water along the beads and pumped it up with a floor pump. Worked perfectly. Even if you run into a bit of trouble, usually a quick blast from a compressor will set you right up.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Niiice! thanks guys..... very helpfull! Bonty is sticking it to the man then! Well, i guess the "evil empire" is atleast....

Keep on Rockin...
    For years I rode the Bonti TLR tires and thought I was trapped into using only Bonti TLR tires - until a week or so ago when I learned otherwise on this site. Seems like many TLR-type tires work well.

The Spec 2Bliss tire I've mounted locked in super tight and has worked perfectly. I just put in another order for another Spec tire tonight thru my local dealer.

Stay away from the Bonti Super Juice. Go with Stan's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Whats going on guys? Does anyone have a favorite 29er tire that would work well in mixed conditions but still be very durable? I have Bontrager Rhythms which are Bonty's TLR.....these may also fit UST tires/ i hope they do because Bontrager tires are very limited and it seems all the good looking ones do not come TRL ready. Anyone have any experience with these wheels/ tires?

-Dan
    Actually I have found the Purgatories to suck in muddy condtions, they don't shed mud worth a damn

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    second on the Purgatorys , control on rear and sworks up front, best all round NE tire in my opinion (sorry dirtdogvt but around here you shouldnt ride in muddy conditions)
    run them @25psi with 2 cups of stans ( not actual cups but stans little cup) last pretty well, grip excellent unless youre a mud puppy.
    BTW TLR requires sealant UST does not

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Rythyms are TLR, you need a rim strip dont you?

Captains are TLR (specialized calls them 2bliss, same thing)

UST requires no sealant and is air tight and has a special bead
    TLR requires sealant, is not very air tight without sealant and has a special bead

the special bead varies from manufacturer to manufacturer but they are all supposed to be compatible with each other, The only time you usually run into issues is when you convert regular tube type rims and tires to tubeless.