mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Best tire for Socal fire roads

Love riding my RM element 950, stock came with Maxxis Ikon in front. Is an OK tire but looses grip in some of the more sandy stuff.

The rear is a Maxxis aspen wich is great and does not need to be changed out.

I need a fast rolling, low profile tire for Socal fire roads.

What are you guys using?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    When I bought my 429 it had a Kenda small block eight which rolled great for XC and fire road applications. I don't like riding fireroads unless it takes me to sweet singletrack. I'm using the Maxis Ardent 2.3 but I mostly ride technical singletrack. If you are mainly riding fireroads go with the Small block eight.

Warrior's Society
    Really like the Ardent.....both the 2.25 and the 2.4(huge tire, but not heavy).

Found the Nobby Nic 2.25 to be very nice as well as the 2.25 Racing Ralph.

Finding the Rampage 2.35 to be just OK.....very pressure sensitive.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I agree SB 8

I agree w/ Dustyman, the SB8 is a great fast rolling tire for FS roads, works well in the dirt, and is easy to find.

Pat

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin View Post
    I agree w/ Dustyman, the SB8 is a great fast rolling tire for FS roads, works well in the dirt, and is easy to find.

Pat
    He's looking for a front tire......if he doesn't like the Ikon up front, he is not gonna like the SB8.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    IF you think the Ikon washes out on sand, stay far away from the SB8. Zero sand traction at all. It's great on pavement, and fast, but I even swapped it out of the rear because of the lack of off road traction.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I was afraid about this, I don't think there is a fast rolling, sand gripping tire. They pretty much contradict each other.

For now I will use the Ikon and will have to slow down in the sandy corners.

On my 26 epic, I had a WTB Weirwolf, loved that tire. Unfortunatly they only have them in a size 2.5and they weigh too much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    He's looking for a front tire......if he doesn't like the Ikon up front, he is not gonna like the SB8.
    No, unless he is super careful or likes fire road rash. Maybe try a Geax AKA, similar to the SB8 but a little more traction.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm in SoCal too. I've been running Maxxis Ignitors lately and like them. Good traction for the low weight, rolling resistance, and cost.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Conti X King perhaps. The 2.2 Ground Control and the new FastTrak are very good all rounders in So Cal fire road conditions...the GC is great in sand and the FastTrak is very good in any dry. Neither are a true trail bike tire though if you are pushing hard in rougher surfaces.

Hard to get fast, smooth rolling, and lots of grip all in the same tire in dry, loose over dry conditions.

I would not suggest an SB8 or AKA.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

The Road Warrior
    I've been trying to find the best tire for the fire roads here for a while. I've tried the following:
    1. Nobby Nic
    2. Racing Ralph
    3. Small Block 8
    4. Nevegal
    5. Rampage
    6. Big Apple

Since I ride to the trailhead, and my rides have a lot of road in them, the big block tires like the rampage and nobby nic haven't been so great.

The racing ralph is really nice, especially in a 2.35 width, but it's too expensive, and it wears out too quickly. Plus, it is prone to sidewall punctures, and casing punctures. I have had a racing ralph on the back of my bike for 1 month, and in that time, it's nearly worn down to no tread, and has a sidewall puncture, as well as a casing puncture. For 90 bucks, I can do better.

The nevegal is a brick.

The big apple does surprisingly well. You've got to learn how to ride it, though.

Finally, the small block 8 is what I keep coming back to. It wears very well, seals up tubeless easy, is very light, not prone to puncturing, and the back hooks up for the most part when it gets steep and loose. I only wish that they made a larger width small block 8, because sometimes it's just not enough tire. It doesn't handle well in loose stuff, but that's a small price to pay for enjoying the rest of your ride that much more.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    No, unless he is super careful or likes fire road rash. Maybe try a Geax AKA, similar to the SB8 but a little more traction.
    Depends in the fire roads he is riding I guess. Parts of Main Divide, you couldn't pay me enough to run te SB8 up front

Ran them front and rear for quite a while a few years back and liked them.....even raced on them a few times.....but once they got into the really loose over hardpack....they were useless up front.

Have tried the Ikon and the AKA up front as well.....liked the Ikon the best, followed by the AKA. Found te shoulder knobs on te AKA to fold over too easy.

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    I think for socal fireroads loose over hardpack you need knobbies that penetrate not microknobbies like Ikon or SB8. I suggest Knobby Nic or Rocket Ron if budget allows or Nevegal - that's a great tire. wider width is better.
    M

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for all the sugestions guys, since this will be a front tire, wear is not that much of an issue.

I will keep doing some research, like I said earlier. The aspen is great for a rear tire, just don't think it will work very good in the front.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've been thinking about nobby nic based on my experience with the 26" version versus the racing ralph which has a lot of sidewall flex. Anyone know if the snakeskin racing ralph vetsion has less sidewall flex than the std rr? How does this version compare to nobby nic?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Jury is still out, but I've had good luck lately with a Slant Six up front on dusty fire roads in NorCal.

bike dork extraordinaire
    No one has mentioned the Captain, from Specialized. IMHO one of the best all-rounders available. Rolls pretty well, good traction, lasts decently long. Worth a try, especially since it isn't too expensive. I just ran a 2.2 Captain up front and a 2.2 fasttrak rear at Downieville, which has a lot of loose rocky fireroad and singletrack,and the combo worked great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkrameroy View Post
    No one has mentioned the Captain, from Specialized. IMHO one of the best all-rounders available. Rolls pretty well, good traction, lasts decently long. Worth a try, especially since it isn't too expensive. I just ran a 2.2 Captain up front and a 2.2 fasttrak rear at Downieville, which has a lot of loose rocky fireroad and singletrack,and the combo worked great.
    I was thinking the same thing. Spec Captain or Fasttrack

mtbr member
    May 2010
    29er:
    Rear: Spec Fast Track 2.0 - light, low rolling resistance, I'd recommend this
    Front: Rocket Rons 2.2

I also used Maxxis Ignitors on the rear of my 26", great traction here in S Cal.

mtbr member
    How about a Bontrager 29-1 tire? They roll nice on pavement, and about $38.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    +1...The Captain.......S.Works or Control. A very nice front tire. Quite good at everything where we ride. Go tubeless for sure with low pressures. I carry a tube in case bad things happen.

Bill J

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No love for the Fire XC Pro? It's available in 29er. It's not Panaracer, though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Tire for SC

I have tried a bunch of the tires mentioned and I find the Spec. Captain front and Icon or Spec. Fast Track rear works well in a variety of conditions. My fav. front is the Ardent 2.4 which rolls very well for a large tire, however its not a light race tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by specbill View Post
    +1...The Captain.......S.Works or Control. A very nice front tire. Quite good at everything where we ride. Go tubeless for sure with low pressures. I carry a tube in case bad things happen.

Bill J
    +1

The Captain delivers. Works great 2bliss