Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

best rim for ABUSE???

Does mavic make 823's for 29er's?
    These would be my prefered option

Are stans Ex flows worth the buzz and are easy to setup tubeless?

Anyone had experience ghetto tublessing azonic outlaws or mtx33's ?

I weigh 210 pounds and I ride super hard, I hardly ever brake on downs and bent the **** out of my inferno 23's... need a replacement that can take the abuse.
    I also ride a hardtail so it doesnt help at all for impact.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by toot334455 View Post
    These would be my prefered option

Are stans Ex flows worth the buzz and are easy to setup tubeless?

I weigh 210 pounds and I ride super hard, I hardly ever brake on downs and bent the **** out of my inferno 23's... need a replacement that can take the abuse.
    I also ride a hardtail so it doesnt help at all for impact.
    My ENVE All Mountain wheels included a five year no-questions-asked guarantee. Cant ask for much more than that.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    My ENVE All Mountain wheels included a five year no-questions-asked guarantee. Cant ask for much more than that.
    solid but they run 2 Grand dont they?
    post a link to your wheelset

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm anywhere from 190 to 210 depending on the time of the year. I talked to Mike at lacemy29 about a wheelset and he recommended the FlowEx in the 36 spoke build.
    Haven't bent them yet and I'm not a smooth rider.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Re: best rim for ABUSE???

I'm in the same boat as you... same weight. I'm going to get Flow Ex's built up but was also considering the Velocity Blunt 35's... supposed to be super strong. Just worried they will make the tire too wide for my bike so going with the flows.

mtbr member
    cool ill talk to him

Hes website is absurdley cool

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you... same weight. I'm going to get Flow Ex's built up but was also considering the Velocity Blunt 35's... supposed to be super strong. Just worried they will make the tire too wide for my bike so going with the flows.
    Aggreed, All of the "good " options arent completly tubles or are stuck at a 19mm or less width where the flows are 25mm I believe

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Mike is absurdly cool in his own right. The Flow EX's he built for me once upon a time are still going strong. If money is no object then I vote Enve AM's as well. Mine are heavenly. I would drop Mike a line though. He'll be honest about what works best for you based on your weight, bike, riding style etc. He once talked me out of spending more money on a wheel build. How many people would do that?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    As far as the MTX 33's tubeless? It's a nightmare. If tubeless is a priority I would look elsewhere, otherwise it's tough to beat in terms of a burly rim.

Hi There!
    Can someone post a link to this lacemy29 website please, I can't find it.

If it's really lacemine29 then nevermind i found it.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    May 2009
    solid but they run 2 Grand dont they?
    post a link to your wheelset

Yep I think they are in the 2k ballpark. .....Mine are on Chris king hubs.

I don't have a link but you can go to ENVE's website a find them I'm sure.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    He once talked me out of spending more money on a wheel build. How many people would do that?
    Good solid customer service right there. That's a guy who "gets it" and is in it for the long-term.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thegweed View Post
    Can someone post a link to this lacemy29 website please, I can't find it.

If it's really lacemine29 then nevermind i found it.
    That's it, sorry for the mistake.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Aggreed, All of the "good " options arent completly tubles or are stuck at a 19mm or less width where the flows are 25mm I believe
    FYI - if you (or anyone) are looking at getting some built right now, ProWheelbuilder.com is having a 10% off custom builds through July 22nd for tour de france. I've been pricing it out and you can get a Flow EX 29er build, 32/36 lace with White Industries hubs for $650 shipped (with the 10% off). Or if you want a little noisier, Hope hubs for $600. Pretty good deal.

Click on "Custom Wheel Program" CUSTOM WHEEL BUILDING PROGRAM you pick it we build it PROWHEELBUILDER

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    FYI - if you (or anyone) are looking at getting some built right now, ProWheelbuilder.com is having a 10% off custom builds through July 22nd for tour de france. I've been pricing it out and you can get a Flow EX 29er build, 32/36 lace with White Industries hubs for $650 shipped (with the 10% off). Or if you want a little noisier, Hope hubs for $600. Pretty good deal.

Click on "Custom Wheel Program" CUSTOM WHEEL BUILDING PROGRAM you pick it we build it PROWHEELBUILDER
    Interesting, I tried building an Enve wheelset and the only choice for nipple were alloy and Enve has switched to brass to prevent corrosion
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Interesting, I tried building an Enve wheelset and the only choice for nipple were alloy and Enve has switched to brass to prevent corrosion
    I know with their builder thing it is based off what weight and riding style you choose... but I've always had brass show up for me (220lbs)... seems weird.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I can confirm that MTX33's are the strongest 29er rim out there. They are fairly heavy and aren't the greatest tubeless. I had to try a few different methods until I finally got mine setup tubeless and I've been running them for about 4 months with no burps or issues to speak of. Only thing that works is the split tube method. A little cumbersome but as I said they've been flawless. I'm 6'4" and about 330 lbs and the MTX's have been the only rim I can set and forget. Love em.

www.derbyrims.com
    I've used P35's in 650b. They are 580 grams measured, so about 615 grams real weight in 622 BSD (29'r). They dent easily, but do mount tubeless ready tires relatively easily with a tight flat inside shoulder bead seal.

www.derbyrims.com
    5-year DEFECT warranty. Defects are found when building the wheels and during the first ride, with rare exception after initial use. It is $240 extra plus shipping for "lifetime" crash replacement to the original owner when buying direct from Enve.
    Product Warranty

Try asking your question in the DH forum. These guys beat up wheels. For low cost wheels, they recommend Azonic Outlaws. Heavy, but durable at about $300 per set.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    I've used P35's in 650b. They are 580 grams measured, so about 615 grams real weight in 622 BSD (29'r). They dent easily, but do mount tubeless ready tires relatively easily with a tight flat inside shoulder bead seal.
    +1 for Mike at lacemine29. he's excellent.

i also agree with the above assessment of the P35's (though mine are 29", not 650b... same material in any case). they mount up tubeless super easy but the aluminum feels "soft". As long as you keep the psi in a range that stops you from slamming the rim into the trail, the soft rim should matter less. and of course if you do dent them, since the aluminum is soft you can bend them back into shape to some extent. (wait! before i get flamed for that comment, i know that aluminum will break if you bend it much. i'm only talking about minor fixes with the understanding that damage has been inflicted. having said that, i've fixed dings in mine and they're still holding air and holding up me and my bike just fine.)

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by head View Post
    +1 for Mike at lacemine29. he's excellent.

i also agree with the above assessment of the P35's (though mine are 29", not 650b... same material in any case). they mount up tubeless super easy but the aluminum feels "soft". As long as you keep the psi in a range that stops you from slamming the rim into the trail, the soft rim should matter less. and of course if you do dent them, since the aluminum is soft you can bend them back into shape to some extent. (wait! before i get flamed for that comment, i know that aluminum will break if you bend it much. i'm only talking about minor fixes with the understanding that damage has been inflicted. having said that, i've fixed dings in mine and they're still holding air and holding up me and my bike just fine.)
    I've had to straighten dents nearly every time I change out a tire on the P35. The wider rim encourage using much lower pressures because tire stability is much improved, improving traction and rocky trail rolling ease. No big deal using hand pliers to straighten enough to mount tubeless easily again. I think there is a special tool that is made for straitening rim dents, maybe from Park tools(?).

I read where a DH pro racer said he liked rims that would dent, because the tire or tubes won't pinch flat as easily during a race run. In a couple years using the P35 I can't recall a rim dent ever flatting a tire running tubeless, and a couple times the dents were quite deep, I only have noticed the dents later.

mtbr member
    what are these p35's we speak of?

After more research I am leaning heavily towards the flow's
    but Im also looking at those chinese carbon rims now... any exp? with those?
    Also, sunringle ADD and prochargers seem somewhat viable

mtbr member
    Send Larry at www.ghisallowheels.com an email.

I got my CK SS wheels with Flows for around $650 (36h both front and rear, DT spokes, Sapim nipples) plus shipping.

I shopped around for little over a month for my wheels, and Larry had the best pricing, and his wheels are well built (though it's only been a year, about 6 months of riding, with around 1300-1500 miles).

I'm 220 lb on rigid with lots of sloppy air times with grace of a monkey picking his own butthole at the zoo.

EDIT: Your Flows will probably be around $100 more than mine (if you go with FLow EX) since I got mine when Flows were on sale.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413 View Post
    I can confirm that MTX33's are the strongest 29er rim out there. They are fairly heavy and aren't the greatest tubeless. I had to try a few different methods until I finally got mine setup tubeless and I've been running them for about 4 months with no burps or issues to speak of. Only thing that works is the split tube method. A little cumbersome but as I said they've been flawless. I'm 6'4" and about 330 lbs and the MTX's have been the only rim I can set and forget. Love em.
    What tire did you use for your ghetto setup?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Those aren't the terms of their warranty. Easton has a two years no questions asked policy I believe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast