mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Best Front Suspension Setup

Greetings. Novice Mt. Biker here. 29er Carbon, Carbon Wheels, Mostly Trails, XCountry, Wilderness Stuff. I'm middle aged, 155-180 depending on what time of year and mojo level for diet. So, nothing crazy like 20% downhills on off camber roots and large boulders is what I'm saying. I'm leaning on getting a 100 mm Fox 100 CTD type of fork or maybe a Rockshox Reba RLT or something. KEep hearing conflicting stories about both. I'm on the fence on this. Any idea's suggestions ? Building up a new bike and this is next component i'm working on now

Idea's ? I'm a low maintainance type of person. Budget $600-$1000 MSRP although I'm gonna get something just taken off a bike or old new stock or something so I"m thinking about 1/2 above prices.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Neither, Carbon Lefty XLR is what i would pick. I love mine and would never go back to a regular fork after riding a Lefty. This just my opinion..
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I prefer the feel of higher end rockshox stuff. When it's setup it's firmer than fox so you have a lot more pedaling efficency. When I was running fox, my fork was super plush but I was only getting 80mm travel. I had to set it up super soft with 35ish percent sag.

I run my sid 20% sag and get full travel. I also prefer the pedaling efficency.

Depends on what you want, fox will be easier to find used I bet.

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    Hrmm I'm very interested in this as well... I NEEEEED to replace this low-ball SunTour it is bogging down on the trails, but it holds its own for what it's worth at least for now.... Drives me nuts the dang thing doesn't give you FULL CLAIMED 100mm travel!?! I measured the grease marks; bleh about ~71.1mm-76.2mm

Seen a LOT of positive praise about LEFTYs, but the price seems excessive vs duals. Worry about the flex and such doing "mild" DH/rocks/roots/mud horse trails; unfounded?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've heard LEFTYs require more maintenance than FOX or RockShox forks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The solo air RockShox Reba and SID need the SID RTC3 damper with actual shims to be usable imo. About $150 list
    FAQLoad - Rockshox RCT3 damper
    A Fox needs the FIT damper. $250.
    Manitou Tower Pro needs a medium helper spring and the platform shim removed. $11.
    Maybe you can go 120mm and if so a Pike would be a good choice. The air rod to convert to 120mm/29" is about $60.
    Check to get 51mm offset.
    ROCKSHOX 2014 Fork PIKE RC Solo Air 29'' 150mm Axle 15mm Tapered Black - ALLTRICKS
    Less than $600 shipped for this fork..
    ROCKSHOX 2014 Fork PIKE RCT3 29'' 140 mm Axle 15 mm Solo Air Tapered Wet Black - ALLTRICKS
    $650 with a RTC3 setup.

I now consider a 35/30mm wide rim wheel to be part of the front suspension because of the cushion it contributes.
    Same from a WTB 2.8 Trailblazer on a 27.5 wheel.
    Last edited by eb1888; 5 Hours Ago at 09:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

my 2 cents

If the choices are between Reba and Fox for a regular mtber not looking into bling sliders, I'd go with Reba. I believe the dampers between float 100 CTD (open cartridge, not closed damper like FIT) and Reba RLT should be comparable, and should be priced at the same level.

Float 100 CTD, if it's a 2012 model, it may have the damper that are known to blow up due to the lack of bleed holes on the damper. Fox somewhat mitigated this issue by drilling out 4 holes on the damper, but still some experience a loss of fluid out of these holes when the bike is parked upside down. So this a crap shoot unless you know exactly the model year and if the damper was replaced or not. I have a remote model, and to be honest can't tell any difference between "trail" and "descent" even though the ports between two settings are unique. You didn't ask for it but here is the Float 100 O/C damper:
    Best Front Suspension Setup-valveposition.jpg

Reba is easier to set up, but again depending on the model year, you have different dampers. Motion control is easy to set up. But their dual air can be another crap shoot where positive and negative air chambers can be leaking toward each other, resulting in equalizing air pressure and migration of the oil. It can be a matter of replacing o-rings inside, and don't forget to use a glob of grease on the air piston, not the gear oil.

If I were you, I would try to find Fox FIT cartridge forks as its closed circuit makes damper more reliable than above. Lefty, well you need a new front hub/wheel.

mtbr member
    Everyone i know who had a 100mm upgraded to a 120mm (or 130mm) after just 1 season of riding on 100mm. Even on mostly smooth trails the differance in comfort is considerable.
    With your aging joints you should seriously think it over.

mtbr member
    120/130mm Rock Shock Pike RCT3 is first place.
    120mm RS Reba RLT is second place.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by TitaniumV12 View Post
    Hrmm I'm very interested in this as well... I NEEEEED to replace this low-ball SunTour it is bogging down on the trails, but it holds its own for what it's worth at least for now.... Drives me nuts the dang thing doesn't give you FULL CLAIMED 100mm travel!?! I measured the grease marks; bleh about ~71.1mm-76.2mm

Seen a LOT of positive praise about LEFTYs, but the price seems excessive vs duals. Worry about the flex and such doing "mild" DH/rocks/roots/mud horse trails; unfounded?
    Leftys are significantly stiffer than any XC/trail fork you'll find on the market today.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    Everyone i know who had a 100mm upgraded to a 120mm (or 130mm) after just 1 season of riding on 100mm. Even on mostly smooth trails the differance in comfort is considerable.
    With your aging joints you should seriously think it over.
    Care to explain this? I don't know anyone who rides 120mm on "XC" trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    This thread is awesome. I feel like i'm at work with a bunch of engineers that can't agree on anything. lol But, seriously lets keep this thread rolling. Remember, i'm middle-aged, BUT, I"ve ridden straight hardtails for years and survived fine. i'm not looking to break any records or anything really. So, ya'll thinking go 100mm or 120mm just to have in case ? and it's sounding like rockshox reba is winning for me although I like the CTD system in theory and mostly it will be in trail or climb most of time as I don't do crazy stuff unless I go to pisgah once or twice a year to davidson river. Maybe I should get a 2014 used/new as it looks like alot of improvements happened last couple years. The key for me "LOW MAINTAINANCE" !! OUT!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hey man, I'm relatively new so I can't really say much as far as how different forks feel but if you're looking at REBA forks, I saw some 2014 100mm travel forks for around $350, which, is quite a bit lower than other places I've seen. Link below:

https://www.blueskycycling.com/cat-f...group-1156/1/n

Tons of knowledge. I'm learning lots.
    '14 Airborne Seeker
    '
    09 MINI Cooper S