Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The Best Dropper Post?

What dropper post's have you seen the least issues with? I have read so many reviews that its all mixed up now. I just want to know which one most 29er guys use and what has the best reliability. I have a SB95c and I want to pick a post up this week.

mtbr member
    If I had the SB95c, which doesn't have stealth routing AFAIF, I would get a KS Lev and call it a day. Great post with no cable movement. If they've changed and now they are stealth capable, I'd go Thomson Covert. I've used both, both are really good but the Thomson is better. Less unwanted wiggle/movement.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you don't care about price, my friend has a thompson and the thing is SWEET! No way I'd ever pay that kind of cash though.

I have an i950 and a Gravity Dropper. The GD is bombproof but the KS hasn't been too terrible to service. over the past 3 years I spent $25 and had it rebuilt.

If reliability is all you care about, GD cannot be beat

mtbr member
    There isn't a 'best one'. You have to figure out what features you want first:
    - internal vs. external routing
    - remote trigger ergonomics
    - hydraulic vs. cable actuated though i'd strongly suggest avoiding the RS Reverb
    - infinite vs. finite adjust
    - air vs. coil spring

And avoid anything from Crankbrothers.
    '11 Epic Comp, Shimano SPD M780, Giant Contact Switch-R, Specialized Ribcage, Bontrager Trip 200, Ergon GS1

Workin for the weekend!
    Sooooo many dropper posts on Pinkbike Buysell, perhaps the fad has passed?
    Todd

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Dropper posts are so last year. It's all about dropper bars now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    Lol, no fad, best thing to happen for MTB in the history of MTB, swing.
    True. I'll give up disc brakes before giving up the dropper.
    '11 Epic Comp, Shimano SPD M780, Giant Contact Switch-R, Specialized Ribcage, Bontrager Trip 200, Ergon GS1

Welcome to the Gem...
    Thomson covert is sick. Can't imagine it failing me anytime soon.
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member
    I have had an X-Fusion HiLo, a Reverb, and a GD Turbo. I will never ride anything other than Gravity Dropper. I have 2 warranty issues each with the HiLo and Reverb. All were handled, but they are a pain in the ass to deal with. The GD post is simple, strong and light.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have had a KS LEV and currently have a Reverb. Both great posts; smooth, fast, and reliable. Thw LEV was better though because the remote is better....far better, and the use of the remote has to be intuitive and automatic. I would go with the LEV if I had to do it over again. I also would not consider a post without infinite adjustment...I just like having that flexibility and wouldn't give it up.

Moderator Moderator
    I've got the Reverb and after about 9 months it's developed the dread 1" sag, which means a rebuild, which looks to be a total PiTA.

Seriously considering getting a Thomson Covert and dumping the Reveb. Never had a bad Thomson product and the Covert uses a sealed Nitrogen cartridge rather than an air/oil chamber.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    I extensively demo'ed them ALL and concluded the KS LEV DX(closely) wins...

~ Rockshox Reverb ***
    ~ FOX DOSS **
    ~ Crankbrothers Kronolog *
    ~ Gravity Dropper Turbo ****
    ~ X-Fusion Hilo **
    ~ KS LEV Integra ***
    ~ Giant Contact Switch **
    ~ KS LEV DX ****
    ~ DNM ***
    ~ Thomson Elite **
    ~ Specialized Command Post **
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    I was concerned about buying a dropper after getting the perception that they are all unreliable. I read through the Reverb thread and ultimately felt comfortable buying one.

There are plenty of Youtube videos that show how to take down the Reverb and service it. It is not that hard.

On page 69 of the Reverb thread, somebody posted a schematic which shows the size of all the o-rings and a good source to buy them. For about $10 you can buy a lifetime supply of the various o-rings the Reverb needs. Many are $.04 to maybe $.60/ea. Other than o-rings, there is a bushing or two that go bad and those are not terribly expensive.

When mine starts sagging, I will know what to do and will be able to fix it for less than a $1.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    I've got the Reverb and after about 9 months it's developed the dread 1" sag, which means a rebuild, which looks to be a total PiTA.

Seriously considering getting a Thomson Covert and dumping the Reveb. Never had a bad Thomson product and the Covert uses a sealed Nitrogen cartridge rather than an air/oil chamber.
    Did you check the air pressure?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    Did you check the air pressure?
    Yep, it's the top seal that's gone and the air and oil are mixing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post

~ Rockshox Reverb ***
    ~ FOX DOSS **
    ~ X-Fusion Hilo **
    ~ KS LEV Integra ***
    ~ KS LEV DX ****
    ~ DNM ***
    ~ Thomson Elite **
    Can you provide more details on your review? What didn't you like about the Thomson and KS LEV Integra? Thanks!

mtbr member

~ Rockshox Reverb ***
    ~ FOX DOSS **
    ~ X-Fusion Hilo **
    ~ KS LEV Integra ***
    ~ KS LEV DX ****
    ~ DNM ***
    ~ Thomson Elite **
    Unfortunately, the success or failure rate of droppers are all about stats as opposed to any individual tests of a one or few samples of each.

People tend to call the GD ugly because of the boot without realizing that it serves a very valuable purpose - keeping out the mud and grime thus contributing to its reliability.

mtbr member

The Best Dropper Post?

Just cash up and get the thomson. I have it on my stumpy fsr. After a full season of riding. 2000+ miles it's been flawless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    Can you provide more details on your review? What didn't you like about the Thomson and KS LEV Integra? Thanks!
    Thomson worked great for about 2 months...then had to get warrantied, it simply stopped working. That wait took a month. KS is still working-out the bugs on the internally-routed Integra. For now, the value/weight/reliability "king" is still the LEV DX.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    GD turbo here, super reliable.
    The boot is ugly, I took it off 4 years ago, it still works as it should.
    Just clean up the inside once awhile. Only replace the cable 2 times.

however, if I were to buy a new dropper post, I want to try reverb or KS Lev or Hilo.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    I had a Thomson fail in about 12 rides, they repaired it. Mailing from CA to GA, and back to me, was frustrating. My KS LEV kevlar string stretched, and I fixed it myself, so I didn't lose use of it. I cannot wait to try a GRAVITY DROPPER. Next time one of my posts fail, it's getting warrantied, then sold, then replaced with a Gravity Dropper. I suggest you buy a Dropper Post based on how many miles away the repair facility is from where you use your bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Is there anything 29er-specific about these dropper-posts or are these recommendations useful for smaller-wheeled riders as well?

mtbr member

The Best Dropper Post?

Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    Is there anything 29er-specific about these dropper-posts or are these recommendations useful for smaller-wheeled riders as well?
    No these are not wheel size specific. The only things that are wheel size specific are frames forks and surprise wheels

mtbr member
    They all seem to have their reliability issues. My KS Lev had to have the cartridge replaced after just a few months. While I buy most bike related things from the cheapest source, with droppers I think it's wise to buy through someone you know will give good service if it goes wrong, and on long MTB holidays take your old post along as a spare so you can still ride if the dropper blows up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    I was concerned about buying a dropper after getting the perception that they are all unreliable. I read through the Reverb thread and ultimately felt comfortable buying one.

There are plenty of Youtube videos that show how to take down the Reverb and service it. It is not that hard.

On page 69 of the Reverb thread, somebody posted a schematic which shows the size of all the o-rings and a good source to buy them. For about $10 you can buy a lifetime supply of the various o-rings the Reverb needs. Many are $.04 to maybe $.60/ea. Other than o-rings, there is a bushing or two that go bad and those are not terribly expensive.

When mine starts sagging, I will know what to do and will be able to fix it for less than a $1.
    The main issue I have with the Reverb is that if you burst the line while riding the post is stuck in that position until you fix it. Nothing sucks more than being miles from the car with a mechanical that you can't do anything about. Any other cable actuated post you can bring to the fully extended position should you snap the cable during the ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    The main issue I have with the Reverb is that if you burst the line while riding the post is stuck in that position until you fix it. Nothing sucks more than being miles from the car with a mechanical that you can't do anything about. Any other cable actuated post you can bring to the fully extended position should you snap the cable during the ride.
    I have not seen an incidence of a "burst line" on a Reverb....seems that would be really hard to do....but I don't really see anything about "burst" lines on hydraulic brakes either and they are the same as far as durability of the lines...and I would rather have a stuck post than a non-functional brake. Either one is very, very, very low likelihood it would seem. Anything is possible...but highly improbable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Do you still feel the same way about the KS LEV DX that you reviewed in Oct? I am comparing this to the Thomson.

All fat, all the time.
    I've been using a Giant for the past year and a half or so. Really like the dropper idea. The giant is cable actuated & sometimes a bit finicky. I am trying the Reverb stealth next because my new frame has internal routing for it.

Heard nothing but good things about the GD, but I just can't get past the looks of it

mtbr member
    I can see the practicality of the rubber boot on the GD post. I got my GF a Reverb for Xmas and she took a couple falls riding in Vegas...and well...she put some good scratches on the post. If there was a boot on there...it could have prevented or greatly reduced the damage.

mtbr member

~ Rockshox Reverb ***
    ~ FOX DOSS **
    ~ X-Fusion Hilo **
    ~ KS LEV Integra ***
    ~ KS LEV DX ****
    ~ DNM ***
    ~ Thomson Elite **
    Good list

I would add Vecnum Moveloc adjustable seat post to the list (Adjustable Seatpost moveloc - VECNUM)

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    Gravity Dropper if you like your gear to work.
    Anything else if you like not riding while waiting for warranty service.

I'm not sure I personally know *one single person* who owns a non-Gravity Dropper and who hasn't had to send it in for warranty at least once. My friend's KS Lev broke three times in a year. Yes, he rides a lot, but he's no Clyde.

Sometimes the old, simple designs are the best.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I need a new post. For me it's between GD and Thomson. I own a GD already. My friend bought a Lev, but it has had several problems and I always hear about how difficult their customer service is. I expect either the GD or Thomson will work great. I still don't know which to choose though...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    I have not seen an incidence of a "burst line" on a Reverb....seems that would be really hard to do....but I don't really see anything about "burst" lines on hydraulic brakes either and they are the same as far as durability of the lines...and I would rather have a stuck post than a non-functional brake. Either one is very, very, very low likelihood it would seem. Anything is possible...but highly improbable.
    I have seen it happen. Bars got spun on a wreck, and the line burst.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    ...I suggest you buy a Dropper Post based on how many miles away the repair facility is from where you use your bike.
    I don't think that's going to make the OP feel better about buying a dropper, ha ha!

I'm pretty happy w/ my KS Lev- but two huge caveats; less than 1000 miles and I'm primarily an XC rider. In fact, I don't really drop the post very often. (10 miles today- mud, roots, climbing, descents and I didn't use it once. I'll prob take it off before race season.)

mtbr member
    ^^ you might not know how to use it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthMTB View Post
    They all seem to have their reliability issues. My KS Lev had to have the cartridge replaced after just a few months. While I buy most bike related things from the cheapest source, with droppers I think it's wise to buy through someone you know will give good service if it goes wrong, and on long MTB holidays take your old post along as a spare so you can still ride if the dropper blows up!
    Lets correct that, all of them except the GDs ........ I think I've read of one broken and it is easy to repair/service yourself. I just haven't gotten over the looks yet.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by El Caballo View Post
    Gravity Dropper if you like your gear to work.
    Anything else if you like not riding while waiting for warranty service.

I'm not sure I personally know *one single person* who owns a non-Gravity Dropper and who hasn't had to send it in for warranty at least once. My friend's KS Lev broke three times in a year. Yes, he rides a lot, but he's no Clyde.

Sometimes the old, simple designs are the best.

I've had 2 Command Posts, first one was even bought used. So far no issue.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Lets correct that, all of them except the GDs ........ I think I've read of one broken and it is easy to repair/service yourself. I just haven't gotten over the looks yet.
    Yes, I was probably too quick to lump them all in together. Glad to hear the GD doesn't suffer from the issues that the others do - presumably because of the simple mechanical design?

mtbr member
    I had 3 versions of the specialized command. Each version was an improvement, the latest is a big improvement because of the head that does not need to be cranked ridiculously and the lighter actuation. In terms of actuation the reverb is still the best I tried, but I don't feel like having more hydraulics on the bike.

The command is very reliable in dropper post terms, but it does break for some people like all things.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    That was the argument against hydro brakes for the first few years of their existence. Can't say it won't happen but it is not likely.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    My next dropper will probably be a Vecnum movelock 170mm.

- Lightweight
    - Lot's of travel
    - Can be operated on the dropper itself if the remote fails
    - Expected to be reliable due to the basic design

Only drawback I see is the fixed positions rather than the variable adjust like the rest. So far for me that's an acceptable compromise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xlash View Post
    ^^ you might not know how to use it.
    More a matter of not thinking about it.
    But if it never crosses my mind, maybe I don't really need it... (kinda like the little chainring).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    No love for the DOSS? I have one and so far it's been great. I actually like the 3 position thing better than my previous infinite adjustment KS because I know exactly where the seat is when I am moving around. I did like the KS lever better though but the DOSS lever isn't too bad if you put it under the bar where the front shifter would be.

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    I had 3 versions of the specialized command. Each version was an improvement, the latest is a big improvement because of the head that does not need to be cranked ridiculously and the lighter actuation. In terms of actuation the reverb is still the best I tried, but I don't feel like having more hydraulics on the bike.

The command is very reliable in dropper post terms, but it does break for some people like all things.
    I learned that the Command post doesn't like to be stored with the seat down, and will let out all its air spring pressure over time. Had to pump mine back up to 25 psi a couple times already in the past 500 mi.

The pressure the remote requires is a bit much. There's a significant dead zone where you're pulling cable easy, about 10-15mm of it, then comes the harder 5-10mm where it finally actuates. The dead zone has some resistance, and pulls the lever back, but it feels that way due to the contrast of the actuation zone. My frozen fingers sometimes can be slow to actuate it on some days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    I learned that the Command post doesn't like to be stored with the seat down, and will let out all its air spring pressure over time. Had to pump mine back up to 25 psi a couple times already in the past 500 mi.

The pressure the remote requires is a bit much. There's a significant dead zone where you're pulling cable easy, about 10-15mm of it, then comes the harder 5-10mm where it finally actuates. The dead zone has some resistance, and pulls the lever back, but it feels that way due to the contrast of the actuation zone. My frozen fingers sometimes can be slow to actuate it on some days.
    Agree, the actuation is not great. Its also sensitive to pressure, without enough it does not lock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallanaga View Post
    Thomson covert is sick. Can't imagine it failing me anytime soon.
    ^^^This^^^

I have two and they have been rock solid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have a KS Gravity Dropper, Command Post and KS LEV. The LEV is the bees knees and I will replace the others when they fail with a LEV. IMHO ..

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Considering all things, IMO, I think the KS Eten is the best value. I purchased the post online for something like$125 shipped. I've had it for 7-8 months and its been solid!

And when it decides to crap out, i'll just buy a new one.

As far as use/benefits of a dropper post, like someone has already mentioned, its probably the best thing since sliced bread. When i'm riding, i'm constantly actuating the dropper, just because I like being able to get low and rail corners.

Theres I guy I ride with time-to-time who spent a ridiculous amount of money on a bike that came with a reverb and he never uses it, ever! He says he doesn't see the point. My observation is that if the rider is not using good cornering/turning technique to start with, they will not benefit from a dropper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I rebuild reverbs, and after I'm through with them, they seem to last longer between service. Might be the hand built thing, I dont know. I'm a fan of Rockshoxs policy of being open about servicing and parts. At the worst the Reverb requires once a year service after its past break in. That's the same as fork, shock and brakes, to me that's acceptable. Pretty happy with it.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Reverbs last about 10 rides under my fat butt. My 9.8 has worked well except in freezing temps. Who knew? It's a Canadian company. I just put a Giant on my bike which has worked in freezing temps but I have only two rides and no exposure to wet conditions. I need setback so my options are limited.

mtbr member

The Best Dropper Post?

Thomson go thomson. Works no matter what

mtbr member
    I use and abuse my gravity dropper . Even removed the boot. No prob at all 2 years now. The remote is a bit cobbley and not at all ergonomic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Lets bump this post again...

OK, I think it's time to get with the program. Now that everyone has had the whole spring, summer, and fall to ride, what are your opinions on the best dropper post now?

The other question I have is quite stupid. Does a dropper post with a 440mm length mean the minimum insertion is also 40mm higher than a 400mm fixed post?
    Last edited by beastmaster; 11-09-2015 at 07:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Had a GD, Joplin, Regular Reverb and a Stealth reverb. Now on a 9point8 Fall Line
    GD was ugly but dead reliable.
    Joplin was, well..a Joplin. Ended in the garbage
    Regular Reverb was great when it worked but that dreaded o-ring failure was a pain in the ace. The 9th time I rebuilt it was the best and lasted the longest.
    Stealth was fine except it was a helluva mess to install/uninstall.
    The Fall Line has been awesome. Love the simplicity of it, the ease of installation and the trigger remote is great. I am hoping this love affair will continue for a couple more years.

Keep on Rockin...
    Spec Blacklite - I have three for quite a few years and they are good. For the first time in many years I'm looking for a non-setback post however. Has the pre-set drops - I like.

GD - mine is older than the hills. Bombproof, and wicked ugly. Has pre-set drops. I like.

As I use my dropper more than my shifter I'm looking for ease of lever throw, and I hear the Lev is the way to go. The newer Spec models are great with lever feel but again, looking for a non-setback.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Owned two LEV's without issue and loved them. Bought an SJ with the IRCC post and planned to sell and replace with a LEV. After 5 months I have to say it has grown on me. The lever is awesome and I like the 11 preset positions. I like feeling the detentes as the post lowers or raises. Now when I use an infinite adjustable I always feel like I'm searching for the right spot. Now Specialized is selling the collets and all replacement parts I think I'm going to stick with it. If something does fail my repair is hours away instead of weeks.

Keep on Rockin...
    9.8 - I hear its in the running for the best dropper.

Anyone able to comment on the feel of the lever throw? Easy and smooth, or does it take some muscle?

mtbr member
    KS Lev
    IMHO is the best dropper I have used

I have had 2 Rockshox. One lasted over 1 year. ( Sold for a KS LEV)
    Other that came on my bike blew up in under a month.
    Warrantied and replaced with a KS. I have never had a problem with them.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    What's the word on the KS with the lever under the seat? Seems like a good option for someone not wanting more cables or bar clutter. But at the price point, one would almost assume its reliability cannot be favorable.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    MikerJ: My experience is that it takes more muscle for the first while and then it eases up.

I am also using it on a bike that is not routed for stealth ('12 Mojo HD) I have the cable going into the seat tube via the direct mount hole which has resulted in two tight bends which I believe has lead to the increase in effort.

The adjustability of the trigger, though, has allow me to mount it horizontal under the bar on the left hand side and it has pretty good leverage. I had it vertically for the first few rides but that was not as ergonomic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar-man View Post
    Had a GD, Joplin, Regular Reverb and a Stealth reverb. Now on a 9point8 Fall Line
    GD was ugly but dead reliable.
    Joplin was, well..a Joplin. Ended in the garbage
    Regular Reverb was great when it worked but that dreaded o-ring failure was a pain in the ace. The 9th time I rebuilt it was the best and lasted the longest.
    Stealth was fine except it was a helluva mess to install/uninstall.
    The Fall Line has been awesome. Love the simplicity of it, the ease of installation and the trigger remote is great. I am hoping this love affair will continue for a couple more years.
    wow! you are working your way through them all.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    9.8. I have two. The older one slips slightly occasionally after I drop it a little. It has done this from day one. No play. They were willing to go through a process of diagnosing the problem but it the frequency of slippage decreased dramatically after lowering the pressure and removing the air and then re-airing. Eventually I'll rebuild it or send it back for a rebuild. We will see how they do with winter. They are friggin expensive but exude quality.

mtbr member
    Tried the new command with multiple positions and still prefer the older command with 3 preset positions. They are all I need and I know how to find them. With the multiple options is was a chore finding the second highest position, and I don't need anything below it except for the lowest position.

The three positions are very well thought and I use all of them all the time. The only problem with the command is 125mm travel, it would be a lot more useful as 150.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    CJSB....don't tell my wife. She thinks I am still on my first one.

Robertson
    It may not be the lightest, but I love my Fox DOSS. I've had it since Feb and other than changing the cable once, it's been flawless through many hours of riding and many crashes. My bike can't take an IR dropper so that doesn't matter for me

mtbr member
    Only have tried the Command Post '14 model, and it has done what I need it to. I am sure there are better offerings, but Ill ride this one until it dies. I will have say the only gripe I have, and not sure if other offerings do this, is the small bit of rotational play in the seat post(if that makes sense).
    "I cycle so I don't choke People"
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB
    http://www.teamrwb.org

mtbr member
    I had an X-Fusion HiLo 27.2. It was great. Their warranty department is good. Eventually I didn't have a 27.2 frame, so I "upgraded" to a Reverb. When it worked it was great. It failed 3 times in the short amount of time that I had it. The non-cable actuated part is the issue in my opinion. I went with the Gravity Dropper next. I love it. Reliable, and super easy to service. All you need is lube, a hex wrench, and 10 minutes. I still have the GD on my full suspension bike. GD doesn't make or have any plans to make stealth option. I had to go with a different option for my new frame, so I went with the HiLo Strate.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    9point8 Fall Line.

mtbr member
    I'm on my 3rd Reverb Stealth, it works great when it works. My first two developed a sag at the top after about a month of use. My LBS has been getting them replaced through warranty with SRAM. My newest one (only a couple weeks now) is working great. The rep told the manager of my LBS that they are trying to identify bad batches they had with them and we keep sending them the bad ones and they keep replacing them.
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hard to beat GD for reliability.
    Had GD turbo over 5 years, no boot, looked much better without the boot, no issue. Sold that bike complete.
    Now I have another bike, and put another GD, this time GD classic, also got rid of the boot. it has been solid over 3 months now, no play, perfect all the time.

I was about to get KS lev, but I want black stanchion because my fork is Pike with black stanchion, matching, reverb has the cable on the clamp, not my preference. My frame does not have internal routing for dropper. so I got GD classic, black stanchion, cable at the collar, solid as always.

If going stealth, I may try Fall Line.

mtbr member
    I started with the reverb on my tallboy and bronson and after 4 leaks and failures i switched to ks lev and have never had a single issue. The actuation is also a lot better.
    -2016 Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    -2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy 2 CC
    -2016 Transition Smuggler
    -2015 Orbea Avant M20d

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    9.8. I have two. The older one slips slightly occasionally after I drop it a little. It has done this from day one. No play. They were willing to go through a process of diagnosing the problem but it the frequency of slippage decreased dramatically after lowering the pressure and removing the air and then re-airing. Eventually I'll rebuild it or send it back for a rebuild. We will see how they do with winter. They are friggin expensive but exude quality.
    DrDon, a few quick comments:
    1) If you have any questions or concerns with the post, 9point8 customer service can help.
    2) As you found, the higher the air pressure, the lower the brake capacity, so it is best to run only the air pressure you need to get the speed of return you are looking for. This is typically only about 25 psi but varies depending on the accuracy of the particular gauge you are using to measure.
    3) The post has a balancing circuit that is accessed when you depress the lever full stroke. Do this once in a while before and during a ride, particularly if you are going through an extreme temperature change like during a winter ride.
    4) It is critical that there be no cable tension when the lever is fully released. This should be checked at top and bottom of stroke. If there is cable tension, the brake is being held back from fully engaging and thus reduces its capacity.

With all of this, the post should not slip in any position in any conditions.

mtbr member
    Owned 2 GD's, 1 Reverb, 1 i950, 2 LEV.

Must reliable goes to GD, but moved on for 150 travel due to long'ish legs. LEV Ti is what is on both bikes now. Smooth and infinite travel is nice. Had to warranty cartridge on one post due to failure in just over a year. Their posts (KS) dont seal out water (wet rides) that well at all and require reqular rebuilds with full cleaning/lubing after a wet ride or two or every few months when dry. GD is just ride and forget if you arent down with somewhat frequent maintainence, dont require 150 and/or infinite travel. Only annoying thing with GD is that their seat clamps go to pot and develop a lot of horizontal and vertical movement not before long.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thomson....even when it's broken it works

mtbr member
    Needing a 27.2mm dropper, and have determined that a bootless Gravity Dropper Turbo LP multiposition 3" with a wiper seal and the KS Lev's remote, cable attachment, and smooth operation/return would be ideal.
    Hate to spend ~$300 on a dropper I don't like the looks or feel of, or ~$400 on one I don't fully trust.
    Think I've spent more time debating a seatpost than I did choosing my house

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    What's the word on the KS with the lever under the seat? Seems like a good option for someone not wanting more cables or bar clutter. But at the price point, one would almost assume its reliability cannot be favorable.
    No opinions?
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    No opinions?
    Don't know about the specific reliability but I have ridden a friend's bike who had one and was annoying to take my hand off the bars to try to lower it.

He rode it for a couple months and decided to ditch it for the remote version and was happy he did, cluttered handlebar and all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    No opinions?
    Essentially same reliability as the cable operated one. It an be somewhat unnatural to activate the lever under the seat requiring you to raise your butt off the seat grab and hold the lever and then sit back down on it. On the positive if your air pressure goes down you can grab the seat and bring it up. Pressure got a little low on mine so it wouldn't return to full height when hitting the remote lever. Had to grab the nose of the seat and bring it up that last 3/4". Lever on the seat would make it an all on one motion.

mtbr member
    On the trails I ride I wouldn't want to bring my hand off the bars to lower and raise the post.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Putting a hand between your legs to raise and lower the post seems stupid and dangerous.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Needing a 27.2mm dropper, and have determined that a bootless Gravity Dropper Turbo LP multiposition 3" with a wiper seal and the KS Lev's remote, cable attachment, and smooth operation/return would be ideal.
    Hate to spend ~$300 on a dropper I don't like the looks or feel of, or ~$400 on one I don't fully trust.
    Think I've spent more time debating a seatpost than I did choosing my house
    i'm in the same boat. have a 31.6 ks lev dx and like it. but. the 27.2 has worse reviews and i'm still trying to figure out what was changed and if it's a good buy. i have a carbon superfly that needs a 27.2 and the lev or thomson seem like the way to go. i like the collar cable method of the lev MUCH more.

you ever look into this?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I have had a 27.2 Thomson for the last three months and its awesome when its not in the mail being warrantied. So far in three months it has been warrantied once because the post developed a scratch(no other issues) and I am going to send the new one back soon because it has developed the same scratch up and down the post

at least warranty is easy to deal with....it just takes 2 week

mtbr member
    I've had my Thomson since they've been out and have had no issues at all with it. I've put somewhere north of 2500 miles on it between my old 2012 Stumpjumper and this year it went in my rootdown. Seen mud rain snow and just keeps on working. I know it will eventually fail. It's mechanical and moves so just a matter of time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    My Thomson failed on first ride with way too much saddle play from side to side, was warrantied and had it back it 3 weeks. Sold and got a GD, took the boot off and no issues. My first 2 GD lasted over 7 years each without any problems.
    GD without boot!!

climber
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    It may not be the lightest, but I love my Fox DOSS. I've had it since Feb and other than changing the cable once, it's been flawless through many hours of riding and many crashes. My bike can't take an IR dropper so that doesn't matter for me
    I concur - the Fox DOSS is a great value - it is GD reliable without the boot! Plus the giant lever, mounted upside down on L side replaces the shifter very nicely- if you run 1X that is.

western NC
    I've had a GD sans boot for over a year with zero issues. I also have a RSP plummet that's been in use for over a year with zero issues, although it's starting to develop a bit of slop / play that I need to check. New squishy bike came with a reverb stealth, we'll see how it holds up, GD will go on that bike if the reverb fails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    GD will go on that bike WHEN the reverb fails.
    Fixed your post
    GD's are rock solid, and reliable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    I've had a GD sans boot for over a year with zero issues. I also have a RSP plummet that's been in use for over a year with zero issues, although it's starting to develop a bit of slop / play that I need to check. New squishy bike came with a reverb stealth, we'll see how it holds up, GD will go on that bike if the reverb fails.
    Overtime GD will develop side to side play, but you won't feel it while seating. just replace the inner shim and dust seal, purchase directly from GD website, cheap and easy.

but curious with Fall Line though, looking good.

mtbr member
    Had a FUSION Hi-Lo lasted maybe a week. The Specialized Command one has held up well for about a year now.

mtbr member
    Anyone have one they are looking to sell that they didn't like?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I've been a holdout since 3-400$ is a lot to test whether or not I will like something. Wednesday a lightly used Giant Contact Switch popped up on Facebook for 80$. It should be here Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    i'm in the same boat. have a 31.6 ks lev dx and like it. but. the 27.2 has worse reviews and i'm still trying to figure out what was changed and if it's a good buy. i have a carbon superfly that needs a 27.2 and the lev or thomson seem like the way to go. i like the collar cable method of the lev MUCH more.

you ever look into this?
    I ended up buying the Lev 27.2. Had left it in my cart on amazon while shopping around for other stuff. When I came back a few days later, it was still in there, but had gone from $340 with 6 left to 1 remaining and the price down to $275, so I pulled the trigger.
    A lot of the problems I read about were the post not returning to full height at low temps, but I'm in Alabama. Most of the time it's not going to be very cold. Even when we briefly had 20s for lows last week, I was riding in shorts and sweating up a long sleeve shirt by the time the sun had been up for 3hrs.
    Yesterday was its first ride, and tomorrow will be its second, so it's way too soon for me to say anything except that it works fine out of the box.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I had a Joplin which was 'okay'...simple and ugly. The nice part is if you get the sagging feeling it's an easy trailside fix. I currently have a stealth Reverb and I like it a lot but one ride (one f-ing ride!!!) I have 1/4" sag now. I'm pretty pissed.
    Intense 951 Evo and Intense Carbine 29

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Did the OP ever respond to anyone in this thread? I can only imagine hte horror if the OP is still using a stationary seatpost. What a bummer.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Update: my Thomson failed in 8 months, they repaired it, broke again in 8 months. Thomson warranties it with a brand new unit. I blew it, I should have EBAY'd it as new. I was so addicted to the plush feel of hydraulic, I couldn't do it. It's been 35 hours, and it's working fine. My LEV was same story, 8 months, then replace string (check your bottom cap for proper tightness!). Lev lasted another 10 months, I warrantied, then sold. I replaced it with a Gravity Dropper. Gravity Dropper is the best, hands down (I use Thomson Covert remote lever with Gravity Dropper). You learn to love the SUPER FAST return of the Gravity Dropper. I need to sell my Thomson while it is working. I have said before, I wish Thomson made a lower priced mechanical dropper post that looks great, but works as well as the Gravity Dropper.

mtbr member
    So gravity dropper is the way to go?

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    If you love ugly, yes. The reason I kept new Thomson on other bike, is that when I tried to put the Gravity Dropper on it, it just looked horrible. Horrible. So GD stayed on my 5-Spot. After using GD for about 6 months on one bike, I will put a new one on my singlespeed after I sell Thomson, but I will not use the rubber boot. It's so ugly. My bikes look really nice, so it's difficult to go GD. Until you've used one for awhile, and they never fail.

mtbr member
    Ya they look bad but never heard a bad thing. Been looking for one for cheap

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    How's the GD for rebuilding?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk
    Intense 951 Evo and Intense Carbine 29

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    No dramas with the 2 KS integra droppers I've owned (both late generation not the failure prone early ones). I don't often ride in the wet or cold though like some of the people reporting issues here.

Literally every friend of mine with a reverb has had them fail, and that's quite a lot of people. Some several times. I don't understand why they keep getting used on new bikes and get rave reviews.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast