Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My 3 friends have Tmars dropper, cheap chinese one from amazon or ebay. Not that smooth, but still works after more than 6 months, and they took off the boot too. Once awhile get sticky.
    Brand new is like $80, comes with shim.

Other friend has reverb, no problem, he is light though,about 130 lbs. Another friend has KS lev, mucho problemo, he is 200 lbs.

I am on my 2nd GD for 4 months now, no boot, with shim. First one for 5 years, sold it with the bike.
    So reliable, never warranty it, very simple and just work.

So I believe GD is the most reliable dropper right now. What is the second most reliable dropper?
    For future build i wanna try something else.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I don't believe how many drama's people have with droppers... at the price of a dropper post you'd assume they would be pretty reliable and last forever.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkyPinky87 View Post
    I don't believe how many drama's people have with droppers... at the price of a dropper post you'd assume they would be pretty reliable and last forever.
    Gravity Dropper's does

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Robin View Post
    How's the GD for rebuilding?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk
    For my main bike that I ride a lot, I have to take it apart and regrease one time per year, which takes 10-15 minutes and requires only hex wrenches, and they give you the really small one for the switch plate and grub screw.

I suppose that the internal surfaces may wear out after a while, but that probably takes years and negelct, no grease, and GD would likey rebuild for you. Since it is canle activated you may need to replace the cable over time, too. I have done it once although it probably wasn't necessary. I found replacing the cable to be similar but easier than replacing a shufter cable, just thread through the switch requires a little patience.

Overall, it is an amazingly easy DIY serviceable component.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Robin View Post
    How's the GD for rebuilding?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk
    After 6 years of ownership and abuse, 5 of which with no boot, I have finally had to rebuild mine. I opted for just buying a complete rebuild kit from GD (basically just the inside tube with bushings installed), $40 and 15 minutes later it is literally brand new again.

My only gripe is I wish the cable came out of the post vertically instead of horizontally, ala KS Lev.

climber
    Dec 2008

Fox DOSS

Quote Originally Posted by inter View Post
    So I believe GD is the most reliable dropper right now. What is the second most reliable dropper?
    For future build i wanna try something else.
    Fox DOSS? I too have used GD classic for years - but needed a better looking post for my nice bike etc. Under $300 and I was surprised to find out that I like the 2-lever remote - very intuitive, especially if you come from GD.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    OK, this is stupid!

I have a 2016 Rockshox Reverb Stealth 150 dropper that has failed 3 times in 14 months-2 of these times it was within 12 months of purchasing it new. Twice it was warranty repaired by Sram. Unless they give me a new 2017 dropper I will not be bolting this back onto my bike! F#ck!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    OK, this is stupid!

I have a 2016 Rockshox Reverb Stealth 150 dropper that has failed 3 times in 14 months-2 of these times it was within 12 months of purchasing it new. Twice it was warranty repaired by Sram. Unless they give me a new 2017 dropper I will not be bolting this back onto my bike! F#ck!!!!
    UPDATE! Sram is sending a new 2017 B1 replacement post. They recognized the old A1 post had design problems. Amazing!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    UPDATE! Sram is sending a new 2017 B1 replacement post. They recognized the old A1 post had design problems. Amazing!
    I wonder what design problems SRAM will recognize a couple years from now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I hope they will send you a C1 when they find the design problems in B1

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    I hope they will send you a C1 when they find the design problems in B1
    I am giving serious consideration to selling the new unit and replacing it with the new FOX dropper. Problem is that ALL dropper posts have issues of one sort or another. It is just that oiling my seat tube repeatedly is getting old; each time it has happened I had to replace the BB to get it cleaned up. Not good.

mtbr member
    SRAM really p*ssed me off when they figured out they were going to be replacing pretty much every Reverb ever sold under warranty and decided that an almost entirely new set of internals every year was expected maintenance and therefore not covered under warranty.

I get it, you designed a flawed product that had a much higher warranty rate than was expected or sustainable. Fine, mistakes happen. The right thing to do would have been to honor those original warranties and change the warranty on newer models.

Oh, and beastmaster is 100% right, ALL droppers have their issues. The PNW Ranier and 9point8 Fall Line both have features that look promising. I especially like that the Fall Line can lock into any position even if it loses pressure. Better than riding miles back to the car with a f@cked up Reverb.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    i'm in the same boat. have a 31.6 ks lev dx and like it. but. the 27.2 has worse reviews and i'm still trying to figure out what was changed and if it's a good buy. i have a carbon superfly that needs a 27.2 and the lev or thomson seem like the way to go. i like the collar cable method of the lev MUCH more.

you ever look into this?
    I have a new KS LEV 272 on a Salsa Beargrease. Solidly built and really attractive for an external cable dropper. It's super smooth. Plus, you can pick the bike up by the saddle when the dropper is down and not introduce an air bubble into the cartridge (primary cause of failure in the LEV Integra that has a different, older mechanism). Only complaint is that the 272 isn't pressure adjustable and its return speed is a little slower than I prefer. I'm hoping with use it'll break in and elevate a little quicker. The wider LEVs are adjustable with a shock pump.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bikercr View Post
    I have a new KS LEV 272 on a Salsa Beargrease. Solidly built and really attractive for an external cable dropper. It's super smooth. Plus, you can pick the bike up by the saddle when the dropper is down and not introduce an air bubble into the cartridge (primary cause of failure in the LEV Integra that has a different, older mechanism). Only complaint is that the 272 isn't pressure adjustable and its return speed is a little slower than I prefer. I'm hoping with use it'll break in and elevate a little quicker. The wider LEVs are adjustable with a shock pump.
    > use it'll break in and elevate a little quicker

Nope, not gonna happen. I have been using this thing for almost a year (love it) but it's still slow as heck :|

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I have had good luck with PNW components. I put their externally routed Cascade on my Focus XC bike and their internally routed Bachelor on my Evil Following. No issues so far, or hydraulic fluid.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The best is, oh never mind, it's not 29er compatible, sorry.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Giant Reign 27.5 2 LTD
    Is the new 2018 fox transfer with kashima and internal routing the best today?
    OK

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    +1 on what Beastmaster said:

"..Problem is that ALL dropper posts have issues of one sort or another."

I've owned different brands but eventually it's the switch feel and placement that bothered me the most.

The Crankbrothers highline remote switch, which you can buy separately, is the best I've used so far w/ its adjustability. No issues w/ the highline dropper post after a year of use.

That said, my Gravity Dropper is still going strong after 10 years. It's easy to fix and maintain if your the DIY type.
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....

mtbr member
    Giant Contact SL is what I settled on after TWO 400$ posts (9.8 Fall Line and RF Turbine) took dumps in less than 2 years. The Giant is only 180$, has a 2 year warranty, and if it fails outside of warranty the replacement cartridge is only 60$ and replaces with simple tools. Iím done with expensive droppers.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

Giant Reign 27.5 2 LTD
    Where to get cartridge for newest giant contact dropper?
    OK

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ka81ua View Post
    Where to get cartridge for newest giant contact dropper?
    Any local shop that's an authorized Giant dealer. If the post is under warranty, you may have to send it in.

I'm also fond of the Giant dropper. My first cartridge suffered infant death after a handful of rides, but the warranty replacement has been dead-consistent for months.

It's a little heavier than I'd like (570g w/o remote for the 30.9/150 model) and the remote is pretty bad, but it's cable-actuated, so that's an easy fix.

mtbr member
    Is the new 2018 fox transfer with kashima and internal routing the best today?
    It's a good one. If I had to vote for best it would be Thompson. It's one of the lightest and the most reliable

Giant Reign 27.5 2 LTD
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    Any local shop that's an authorized Giant dealer. If the post is under warranty, you may have to send it in..
    Uhmm.. It's obvious that i was asking about buying it by myself somewhere at online-store.. ))
    OK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post

It's a little heavier than I'd like (570g w/o remote for the 30.9/150 model) and the remote is pretty bad, but it's cable-actuated, so that's an easy fix.
    Mine came with the Giant 1x style lever and not that goofy toggle switch looking style. Iíve been pleased with it.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

Giant Reign 27.5 2 LTD
    Maybe someone alreade tried to find out:
    what is the smallest (shortest overall length) dropper seatpost with 150mm hub and internal routing?
    OK

mtbr member
    Maybe someone alreade tried to find out:
    what is the smallest (shortest overall length) dropper seatpost with 150mm hub and internal routing?
    The shortest I've come across are the KS Lev Ci and 9point8 at 440mm. BikeYoke Revive is 435mm from the bottom of tube to the rails, but 466mm from the rails to the tip of the thingy at the bottom to the tube.

It's worth noting that there are 2 measurements on the dropper to consider. 1) the distance from the collar to the seat rails, and 2) the insert length (from the collar to the bottom of the tube. Some bikes have a bend in the seat tube, which can prevent you from being able to fully insert the post all the way to the collar.

mtbr member
    Maybe someone alreade tried to find out:what is the smallest (shortest overall length) dropper seatpost with 150mm hub and internal routing?
    Raceface Aeffect 425mm

mtbr member
    The Best Dropper Post?-20170918_201940.jpg

I love my Bontrager. I made a boot out of an inner tube to keep the silicon grease all on it and ensure reliable operation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Does anyone has some feedback about TMARS dropper seatpost, i am interested in the model 419L because my legs are real long and it could fit my mountain and fat bikes, the total lenght is 445 mm, 27.2 or 30.9 mm with the included shim.
    You can also suggest other brands or models on the affordable range.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I like my LEV 272 when itís working but it went bad within 5 months. Sent it in for warranty through my LBS and after 2 months the shop just gave me a new one saying KS was unresponsive and they had no idea what was going on. They said KS hadnít responded to ď35 messagesĒ. Weirdly the receipt they gave me said it was a UPS shipping claim so maybe it never made it to KS. My LBSí service has been pretty terrible anyhow so Iíll try out a new shop and only go back if I have to warranty this KS post again.

What is different in the LEV 272 vs Integra that allows you to lift up on the seat in down position w/o creating a bubble? I wondered if this was a factor in my first one going bad and have been careful not to lift by the seat with the new one so far.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I just bought Brand X, external version from CRC, $120 shipped. Very good review and good price. I replaced the remote with wolftooth.
    So far so good , been on few ride.
    This dropper replaced my old trusty GD, Brand X is so smooth.
    my GD still works, just not smooth anymore, and i wanted to try hydraulic.
    Will see how durable brand x is.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Geeze for $120 even if it explodes after 2 years you'll be ahead of the game with a $350+ dropper

mtbr member
    BikeYoke Revive. I've been running 2 160mm 31.6 posts on 2 different bikes for the past year and have had zero issues, absolutely flawless. And the modulation and Triggy remote is much better than other posts I've had in the past - KS LEV (had to send to KS for warranty repair), KS i-950 (had to send to KS for warranty repair), Thomson Elite (great post, but not on the same level as the Revive).

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Current Inventory:
    2- Thompsons
    1- Crank Brothers Highline
    1- Fox Transfer
    2- Bike Yoke Revive

The only post that hasn't gone back yet is the Bike Yoke. It is still early days but looks solid. I have had KS, X-fusion.... in the past as well. The Fox Transfer lasted 13 months, a world record for me.

mtbr member
    what i don't like from reverb, and i always use and used it, is the hydraulic pumping instead of a cable, but i think that it's very reliable!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inter View Post
    I just bought Brand X, external version from CRC, $120 shipped. Very good review and good price. I replaced the remote with wolftooth.
    So far so good , been on few ride.
    This dropper replaced my old trusty GD, Brand X is so smooth.
    my GD still works, just not smooth anymore, and i wanted to try hydraulic.
    Will see how durable brand x is.
    I have the Brand X internal on my Trek hardtail and really like it so far. I will say I don't think they greased it very well from the factory. It was coming up a bit slow. I unscrewed the seal head, added some Rock N Roll grease, now it's nice and smooth and considerably faster. Has a nice top out "clunk" so you always know when it is all the way up.

Hard to beat this post for 110$ shipped.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12