mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Best disc brake for a big boy?

I am pretty new to the whole mountain bike world especially the 29er world. I am a pretty solid dood 6'2 260 and im wondering what would be the best brake option for me? The stock ones that came on my DB Overdrive feel weak tryin to stop me when I am riding hard or downhill. I do a lot of pavement riding with a little bit of trail as of right now.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forums and thank you for your time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Liking the Magura Marta FR brakes. The Marta's replaced a set of Elixir 5 and am very satisfied with the upgrade. Pretty much eliminated brake fade and chatter. Check Jenson if interested.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by m2toinstinct View Post
    Liking the Magura Marta FR brakes. The Marta's replaced a set of Elixir 5 and am very satisfied with the upgrade. Pretty much eliminated brake fade and chatter. Check Jenson if interested.
    Thank you for the input best part about Jensons is that i live 10 mins from both their store locations so i can walk in and check them out

mtbr member
    I'm a big Formula fan for stopping power but you cant beat the new Shimano line (SLX, XT or XTR) for stopping power, ease of maintenance, pad & parts availability and reliability.
    This may be a total waste of time but I can't help but think that you might amount to something someday.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Shimano XT Trail brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    +1 for XT/SLX.

They're usually pretty reliable. Make sure you go for 180mm rotor on the front at the minimum. The larger rotor improves stopping power.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Keep in mind, new brakes of the caliber mentioned can be expensive. You are looking at a starting point of around $300.00 for a new set. You might want to swap the rotors first depending upon the size you have now.

mtbr member
    ^^^ get larger brake rotors, especially on the front.

mtbr member
    Love my XT brakes, if you wanna save some cash the SLX are using the same tech
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best disc brake for a big boy?-shifters.jpg  

Best disc brake for a big boy?-front-brake.jpg  

Best disc brake for a big boy?-rear-brake-2.jpg  

Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    '12 xt or slx with ice-tech pads, 180 front, maybe 180 rear, standard rotors - probably don't need the ice-tech rotors, probably plenty of 'juice' for what OP describes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    SLX 2012 or 13 will be a completely different experience. Bike Radar puts them near the top in a brake test. If you want to shop for price this place works out to about 140+26 shipping/both f&r set no rotors. About 3 weeks to receive. Shipping does not increase if you add more.
    Shimano SLX Scheibenbremse BR-M675 Modell 2013 - BIKE-COMPONENTS.DE

mtbr member
    FYI, I kept my Avid G2 rotors and the braking performance is still way better than my old crappy Juicy brakes. I may get ic tech rotors in the spring
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm the same height and weight as you and I'm somewhat of an aggressive rider. I just swapped out my sorry ass Elixer 1s for '12 SLX brakes. A world of difference. I picked up the 180 front and 160 rear with Ice Tech rotors. I took them for their inagural ride yesterday and they performed very well. Definitely worth the $300 I spent to upgrade from Blue Sky. I did think about grabbing the XTs but the practically non-functional free stroke adjustment and lighter lever material was not worth the extra $40 over the SLX.

I've also ridden with '10 ElixerCR 185 f/r for the last 2 years starting at 290#s....they had no problems stopping me as well. I just had to learn how to deal with the noises they produce.
    2011 Dawes Deadeye | 2011 Niner EMD9 | 2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fam Money View Post
    I'm the same height and weight as you and I'm somewhat of an aggressive rider. I just swapped out my sorry ass Elixer 1s for '12 SLX brakes. A world of difference. I picked up the 180 front and 160 rear with Ice Tech rotors. I took them for their inagural ride yesterday and they performed very well. Definitely worth the $300 I spent to upgrade from Blue Sky. I did think about grabbing the XTs but the practically non-functional free stroke adjustment and lighter lever material was not worth the extra $40 over the SLX.

I've also ridden with '10 ElixerCR 185 f/r for the last 2 years starting at 290#s....they had no problems stopping me as well. I just had to learn how to deal with the noises they produce.
    just the warbling noise alone on my Avids was enough to warrant an upgrade
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    One vote for Hopetech. I love the feel of the EVO brakes and currently use M4's and the V2 is their big DH brake, worthy for even 350+lb MTB tandem teams. Of course, being end of year... Hopetech are showing their shiny new V4 (4-pot) which will replace the V2... more (power), better (heat management), lighter (weight). Oh and vented rotors:

Final Randoms Part 1 - Eurobike 2012 - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    I'm going to go with the assumption that the opinions of bigger guys will carry more weight with you

That said, I'm 6', 260lbs. I run an 8" rotor on the front and a 7" on the rear on a hardtail on Midwestern singletrack. My brakes are overkill for 90% of what I ride, but I have great one-finger braking and no fading concerns for the couple times a year when I get to some real elevation change. A riding buddy of mine who's about 20-30 lbs lighter and a lot faster, swapped out his stock rotors for the same big boy rotor combo and loves it.

I can't give you any real brand advice since I don't know your budget--with one exception.
    Avoid Avid elixirs unless you love doing your own maintenance. I have elixir CR's and they work really well, but I have spent a lot of time messing with them to get them to what I consider acceptable. My next set of brakes will be something--hopefully--less troublesome.
    "Serpentine Shelly. Serpentine!"

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    '12 xt or slx with ice-tech pads, 180 front, maybe 180 rear, standard rotors - probably don't need the ice-tech rotors, probably plenty of 'juice' for what OP describes.
    100% agree

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'm the same height/weight as the OP, and I'm thinking about upgrading from my Elixr 7's this winter. I'm currently running a 200mm rotor on the front, and 180mm on the rear. Are any of these options particularly good with the bigger rotors? I heard that Shimano XTRs require an adapter for 200mm rotors. Does that add any extra cost or complexity?
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    6'4 235 lbs, my formula rx brakes have no problem stopping me, even on long downhills.

I do have double 180mm rotors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Shimano XT Trail brakes.
    I'm not super heavy, 200 lbs or so. But have the nwe XT trail brakes on my new bike and I have nothing but nice things to say about them. 160 rear and 180 front. The front is extremely powerful. I'm sure if you upped the rotor size you could get even more powerful/consistent braking. Old bike had the previous generation XTR brakes and there's no comparison, these things blow those off the trail!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My own feeling is that pads are the most important factor in happiness. Alignment is #2. From 45 years of motorcycling to the last 4 of MTBing, I feel the bike brakes are even more sensitive to pads. F1 sells pads for the Elixirs and I've been running them and find them far superior to either the metallic or organic pads. I'm going to try some new ceramic pads soon. So before expense of any other solution, try new pads and not either of the Avid choices. I tried on metallic aftermarket brand and they weren't a great success either being halfway between the Avid two.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I appreciate all the feedback guys! so step one is for sure bigger rotors. On my day off this week I will go to the LBS and see what they have to offer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsthegrizzly View Post
    I appreciate all the feedback guys! so step one is for sure bigger rotors. On my day off this week I will go to the LBS and see what they have to offer
    Yes bigger rotors. 180/185mm is usually always ok. Not all forks are rated for 200mm (ish) sized rotors check your fork. One size bigger on the front.

New pads can help. I like EBC green but have seen the Gold model recommended often.

A fresh "bleed" can improve braking too.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I found (when I was significantly over 200#, nekkid) that running the sinterned-metal pads gave me great power and long pad life, at a slight cost of noise (especially when wet).

I'm just a bit under 200# now and still have sintered-metal on my Magura brakes on one of my bikes, they sort-of want to be heated up a bit before they bite completely, only having about 1/2 power before then, but still worth having since that bike is my dedicated crud-conditions bike and the softer pads will wear out v.fast in crud.

addendum: I have a long tradition of "enthusiastically" going downhill, whenever I go downhill, so having reliable and powerful brakes for me has always been a big deal. During most of the 2000's I was in the 240+ weight class riding a 35# 6" travel bike up and over everything. 7" rotor on the back, 8" rotor on the front. No problems.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Shimano XT Trail brakes.
    shimano xt trail with ice tech rotors, i think they would stop a semi!!!
    I was sick of chatter and squealing of my avids so I got these and couldn't be happier.