mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Best deals floating around for wide, durable 29er tires?

Title kinda says it. I'm looking for a set of 2.3-2.5 inch 29er tires for aggressive riding. Not too concerned about weight. I've seen a few around the internet but they're selling for $60-$70 per tire. I'd like to spend $80-$100 for a set. I ride in New England so I need a knobby, all around type of tire.

Best I've seen are 2.4 Continental Mountain Kings going for about $40 a tire. Anything else?

Thanks!
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    Title kinda says it. I'm looking for a set of 2.3-2.5 inch 29er tires for aggressive riding. Not too concerned about weight. I've seen a few around the internet but they're selling for $60-$70 per tire. I'd like to spend $80-$100 for a set. I ride in New England so I need a knobby, all around type of tire.

Best I've seen are 2.4 Continental Mountain Kings going for about $40 a tire. Anything else?

Thanks!
    On-One Smorgasbord 29"x2.25" Tire
    $30
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    How big are those? Similar to a 2.25 Ardent?

To the OP, if you're looking for Schwalbe in US, ebikestop.com has the best pricing around.

mtbr member
    Kenda Nevegal 2.2" are actually closer to 2.4" wide at the tread
    Kenda Nevegal DTC 29er Tire at Price Point
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

ready to ride
    I'll throw in the Panaracer Rampages 2.35. They can be had all over for less than $50
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Geax Gato 2.3. I think I got the folding ones for sale for $25 each awhile back. They are about the same volume as a 2.25 Ardent but have somewhat larger knobs. I prefer the Ardent though, the shoulder knobs seem to be more predictable. I also think the Ardent compound is stickier. The Gato might have the edge in wet/soft soil but not on slick bridges, roots, rocks etc. It seems to me I also weighed the Gato and it was not entirely true to the manufacturer's claim, maybe over by 40 grams each on my two tires IIRC.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph Performance 2.25. Fast and 600g for 32.
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph Tire 29 x2.25 Performance Folding @ eBikeStop.com

squish, squish in da fish
    i'll 2nd the rampage! running it in front and it got here just in time as its been on and off rain for a couple weeks. lol it replaced a sm block 8.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Geax Gato 2.3 TNT has been great and can be found cheap. I weigh about 195 now and can drop the pressure to 17-18psi tubeless and the tires is very good in all conditions I have put it in (except the road). It has been tough in the rocks too.

mtbr member
    I'm giving the Specialized Ground Control tires a chance. They look promising. $50-55 on Specialized website.

Bikebling has Continental Trail King 2.4's for $40. I have some 2.2's and they are big and aggressive!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post

Thanks!
    Check the swap thread sticky and see if you can unload a pair of big meats within your budget off of somebody that has posted up some tires that they are not using.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    Geax Gato 2.3 TNT has been great and can be found cheap. I weigh about 195 now and can drop the pressure to 17-18psi tubeless and the tires is very good in all conditions I have put it in (except the road). It has been tough in the rocks too.
    Damp rocks really are the bane of this tire, IMO. I am running a set right now (~20psi and I'm in at ~200lbs) so New England trails in winter may be tough in sections. Pressure is key- anything above 25psi +damp rocks is like riding on ice. They are really stellar in soft/loose/loamy conditions, and I have found grip on wet roots that I never had with crossmarks and ignitors. They shed mud well, too. If Geax softened these tires just enough to improve the grip on damp rocks, this would be my go-to tire year round.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    How big are those? Similar to a 2.25 Ardent?

To the OP, if you're looking for Schwalbe in US, ebikestop.com has the best pricing around.
    Same casing size
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dankilling View Post
    Damp rocks really are the bane of this tire, IMO. I am running a set right now (~20psi and I'm in at ~200lbs) so New England trails in winter may be tough in sections. Pressure is key- anything above 25psi +damp rocks is like riding on ice. They are really stellar in soft/loose/loamy conditions, and I have found grip on wet roots that I never had with crossmarks and ignitors. They shed mud well, too. If Geax softened these tires just enough to improve the grip on damp rocks, this would be my go-to tire year round.
    Haha, I guess we are in agreement then, see my post above

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I have some Team FR3s I'll sell very cheap. Just PM me. Although heavy, they are extremely tough and wear well. I'm rocking a lighter and higher volume expensive Nobby Nic that I had lying around on the front of my rigid and since a FR3 wouldn't fit in the rear of my bike I went to a Gato. Just PM me. If you want new, the CST tires seem to be a great bargain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I will 3rd the panaracer rampage! At 2.35 it is pretty beefy and grippy! Also not heavy! I got two for about 60 dollars for both.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dankilling View Post
    Agreed. Not a perfect tire, but still a very good one.

I would add that these tires, in the foldable, non-UST versions, have good sidewalls and seal up well (on both UST and Stan's rims).

$40 at pricepoint, $42 shipped from ebay: New Geax Gato 29x2 3 Black Fold Tire | eBay
    Last edited by antonio; 12-28-2012 at 07:47 AM.

cowbell
    I picked up some CST tires 2.25 size from Universal for something like $16 each. My intention was to have a set of winter tires on my SS I could use on paved or gravel paths when it was too muddy to hit the single track, and still have something that might be reasonably capable on the roots and hardpack single track we have here. I'd say for $32 for the set of tires, these fit the bill.

agu
    mtbr member
    How about some Vee Rubbers? Been testing a few of them...

Vee Rubber ?