mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Best budget wheelset

What is everyone's recommendation for the best budget wheelset for a xc/ trail 29er? By budget I'm talking under $300. Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Best move for $300 is to buy either a front or a rear, not both.

If you want faster engagement or want to lose more weight overall, go for the rear. If you want a lighter "feel" you may notice it more on the front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have some WTB TrailDisc's that I bought for $120 4 years ago. Came with some Gravity hubs. Not the greatest, lightest, but they have held up with no issues. Even set up tubeless without much fuss. I see them on sale locally for $100-$150, as they come stock on a lot of bikes that people end up upgrading. That's the way I'd go.

If you're talking $300, that's too close to a set of Stan's Crest or Arch wheelset, which I also see (NEW) for $450 or so.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah that's the problem. It seems like you can buy a wheelset for $200 or less and they aren't really an upgrade, then the next step is $400+ to start losing weight. It kills me to pay that much for bicycle wheels. My wheels on my vehicle aren't even close to that much money...maybe I'll just end up getting the hope hoops from the uk with some Stan's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Bicycle wheel warehouse will build a wheelset for that price it'll ride fine but it won't be particularly light. If you're looking to save any significant weight you'll need to increase your budget.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If you're willing to up the budget to $350 you can get stans rims/hope hubs shipped from Merlin cycles in the UK.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Best budget wheelset

Quote Originally Posted by Brodon View Post
    Yeah that's the problem. It seems like you can buy a wheelset for $200 or less and they aren't really an upgrade, then the next step is $400+ to start losing weight. It kills me to pay that much for bicycle wheels. My wheels on my vehicle aren't even close to that much money...maybe I'll just end up getting the hope hoops from the uk with some Stan's.
    Mountain biking isn't cheap

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You can get new Fulcrum Red Power 29 XL wheels for about $150 to $200 shipped right now on Ebay. These retailed for $470 originally. I had some for a while and I was impressed with stiffness and weight for the money. About 1950 grams for the set. I think the rim is pretty light also. I weigh 200 lbs with gear and I never knocked them out of true.

Nice for a budget wheel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodon View Post
    Buy once, cry once. Smile down the trail.

You will soon realize $400 is on the cheaper side of a complete wheelset. That's how much I paid for my front wheel, and I know plenty of others that have paid double that (for a front wheel only).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I still say for $150 the Fulcrums are pretty awesome at 1950 grams. That is less than 100 gram difference between them and the Hope/ Stan's Arch wheelsets that are $350 on sale.

I bought a set of American Classic MTB 29 wheels for less than $400 used and they weight 1550 grams. Very light and rated for very heavy riders.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Best budget wheelset

Got my hope hoops from Wiggle for 350 shipped. Crest or arch wheels with hope hubs hard to beat for that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I totally get that. I know all about the potential cost of mtb riding, but for this particular bike I am only looking for a modest upgrade. It's not worth spending $$$$$ on it.

Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Buy once, cry once. Smile down the trail.

You will soon realize $400 is on the cheaper side of a complete wheelset. That's how much I paid for my front wheel, and I know plenty of others that have paid double that (for a front wheel only).

mtbr member
    check your local Craigslist or Kijiji for take offs or used wheels close to you.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0