mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Best 29er tire for wet and muddy trail

Can you please recommend a 29er tire that has good grip in wet/muddy trail and in the same time low rolling resistance.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by rave81 View Post
    Can you please recommend a 29er tire that has good grip in wet/muddy trail and in the same time low rolling resistance.

So, what do you want? Grip in the mud or low rolling resistance?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Can't have both, sadly. For a decent mud tyre, I have been having some good luck with the Specialized Ground Control. It is working better for me than the Maxxis Beaver did.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Yea, The Ground Control has been excellent. NobbyNics are pretty fast for their intended use as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I currently use Maxxis Ardent, this tire has excellent mud/ traction, however it doesn't roll as fast as Nic Nobby.

Nic Nobby grippy and it rolls fast, however this tire doesn't last. it only lasted 3 months of use, while the ardent I've been using it for almost 5 months and threads are not worn out.

What other tires has equivalent to fast, grippy and durable?

What do you think about the Bronson, High rollers or Rubber queen?

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by rave81 View Post
    And I'd like a hot, low maintenance woman who puts out too.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    And I'd like a hot, low maintenance woman who puts out too.
    She would also have to have a lot of money.

mtbr member
    We're still in monsoon season locally (Nepal) and I've tested 2 tires by Schwalbe. The first was a 2.4 Racing Ralph which I had also run in the dry season. The tires had very low rolling resistance, and traction on dirt/sand/rock was what you would expect - decent, but not the best to murder a downhill section - solidly a XC tire in my opinion. In the mud, wet sand, and on wet mixed terrain, it actually performed very well. I found that traction was reasonable for the short tread, and one aspect I really enjoyed was that I seemed to stay buoyant rolling through deep mud pits instead of getting mired in them. Definitely a tire where you accept lower traction limits for the tradeoff of good rolling abilities and decent performance in the wet/mud.

The 2nd set of tires I've tried were the 2.35 Hans Dampfs. In dry conditions, great traction through rough stone fields, grass, dirt, sand, etc. Rolling resistance was obviously much greater than the RRs though (and noticeable in the dry). Once things turned wet & muddy though, the tires became really hard to push. I found that the rolling resistance increased so much, that I was fatigued much earlier in rides, and was getting left behind on climbs. Fortunately, the downhill capability inspires confidence and risk taking. After 3 solid months of riding with the HDs in muddy conditions however, I decided to change back to the RRs - and wish I had done so sooner.

I will change back to the HDs, but not until conditions are solidly dry again. Until then I think the RRs are a good balance of traction and ease of spinning.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Cecald-Why not a HD front, NN rear? Or NN front and RR rear.

The NN is the quick rolling decent weight/traction solution. As mentioned they don't last (rear)

The Spec Ground Controls are cheaper than the Evo Schwalbes and have very similar tread/performance but with better life.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    Cecald-Why not a HD front, NN rear? Or NN front and RR rear.

The NN is the quick rolling decent weight/traction solution. As mentioned they don't last (rear)

The Spec Ground Controls are cheaper than the Evo Schwalbes and have very similar tread/performance but with better life.
    My comment is the HD front/ NN rear is a great combo for all around use, especially for Colo, which is where I ride them. Yes, there are faster, lighter combos, and there are better mud combos, but unless you are riding in total mud, or your riding total slickrock, which I doubt, you need something that has versatility, and without drama, which they do well.
    I also have tried the Spesh S-Works Fast-trax on the rear, and they work quite well, even through mud puddles, but of course would not use them as a "mud tire" per se.
    Last edited by Simplemind; 09-04-2013 at 09:12 PM.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Specialized Purgatory Control hooks up nicely
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    Hey Alberto, unfortunately I just haven't ordered any NN tires to try yet. After reading more reviews on them, I think I'd be pretty happy on them though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Used to like Geax Gato in a 2.1 width particularly in the TNT,particularly in the TNT version. Never tried the narrow 1.9 width.

Now run Schwable NN in really muddy conditions or new RR are awesome for grip in pretty sloppy muddy conditions also.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    NN tires are great, but doesn't last so, you'll be changing 2 to 3 times per year, that depends on the type you riding you do.

its winter season here in Western Australia, almost every day its raining continuously, so the trails is mainly for all mountain/enduro type, lots of steep climb and lots of long aggressive downhill (30 to 40 mins). Most downhill section are slippery, lots of sharp rocks and muddy at the moment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PauLCa916 View Post
    Specialized Purgatory Control hooks up nicely
    I suppose they might do well in just mud, but I've absolutely hated mine on wet roots/rocks. Worse than my Ikons which are worn down to the hard compound.

I Ride Bikes
    Specialized Ground Control for me.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!