Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

best 29 carbon wheelset?

Looking to purchase carbon wheelset on my Santa Cruz Carbon tallboy. Need help with which set to purchase. So lets do a survey... everybody give they top two choices. Please state if you do actually own a pair...adds to credibility... thx

Ninja Master Powers
    Enve by far. I have the 26 inch all Mtn. Hoops on DT 240's on my Nomad Carbon.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Enve or Enve

mtbr member
    Enve. I have a pair. Built by Project 321, w/ their hubs. They're I9 internals.

They're expensive and I would never say they're a "value", but knowing I splurged, I got even more than I thought I would. They are amazing wheels - stiff, fast, light.

I looked at the Eastons and was almost ready to go with them for the warranty/"insurance" but after reading about the hub issues and the fact that you can't use any hub with them, I went with Enves. I would do so again.

www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Watch Ebay for a set of Roval carbons. I got a good deal, they're very light, have adapters for any axle combo. Perfect for my Superfly 100. haven't had any issues, everyday wheelset!
    Jboy

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradpreo View Post
    Looking to purchase carbon wheelset on my Santa Cruz Carbon tallboy. Need help with which set to purchase. So lets do a survey... everybody give they top two choices. Please state if you do actually own a pair...adds to credibility... thx
    I've got a set of the Specialized Roval SL carbon wheels and I've got a set of the Light-Bicycle carbon AM rims that I had my LBS build up for me.

Color me one of those that wouldn't dare sniff at the Chinese Carbon rims when they first came out, but I quickly stood corrected and am enjoying them as well as my Rovals.

Truth be told - it is pretty darned good bang for the buck to get a pair of the Light-Bicycle rims and have them laced up to whatever hubs tickle your fancy by your favorite wheel builder. They will do them up from 16H to 36H which allows you to pick and choose exactly what you want and need for your Tallboy and riding style. I certainly can't tell the difference between the rims on both pairs when out on the dirt. One pair cost me an arm and a leg, the other only an arm.

Rovals weigh 1520g with valves and tape...

Roval Trail SL's on the scale - 1520g

Light Bicycle AM rims ($165 per rim is the going price these days)...

Carbon29erRims

I had them done up with an old pair of American Classic disc hubs I had and couldn't be happier with their performance the past 7 months.

My set weighs in at 1540g and resides on my RIP 9 with Nobby Nics front and rear.

1540g

I haven't tried any other carbon rims by other brands.

BB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    I've got a set of the Specialized Roval SL carbon wheels and I've got a set of the Light-Bicycle carbon AM rims that I had my LBS build up for me.

Color me one of those that wouldn't dare sniff at the Chinese Carbon rims when they first came out, but I quickly stood corrected and am enjoying them as well as my Rovals.

Truth be told - it is pretty darned good bang for the buck to get a pair of the Light-Bicycle rims and have them laced up to whatever hubs tickle your fancy by your favorite wheel builder. They will do them up from 16H to 36H which allows you to pick and choose exactly what you want and need for your Tallboy and riding style. I certainly can't tell the difference between the rims on both pairs when out on the dirt. One pair cost me an arm and a leg, the other only an arm.
    +1 on the LB "Nancy" rims. FYI, if you dig around you'll find that those Spec Roval SL rims were built at the same factory as those LB rims

I specifically ordered the "heavier" LB wider AM rims (433 and 431g) and laced them to some Kings (142x12 w/ steel drive shell and the large diameter front hub converted to 15mm QR) w/ DT Comps. Total weight was in the low 1600g w/ the Bonty rim strip and Stans valve stems. They're on my TBLTc. I spec'd the 3K gloss finish. Got mine when they were still $155/ea. I built my own, and had the front hub already so my cost wasn't anywhere near a set of Enves.

If I had unlimited funds, I'd get some Enves. But since I don't, I can destroy 2 pairs of these LBs and still be under the cost of 1 Enve rim.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    +1 on the LB "Nancy" rims. FYI, if you dig around you'll find that those Spec Roval SL rims were built at the same factory as those LB rims

I specifically ordered the "heavier" LB wider AM rims (433 and 431g) and laced them to some Kings (142x12 w/ steel drive shell and the large diameter front hub converted to 15mm QR) w/ DT Comps. Total weight was in the low 1600g w/ the Bonty rim strip and Stans valve stems. They're on my TBLTc. I spec'd the 3K gloss finish. Got mine when they were still $155/ea. I built my own, and had the front hub already so my cost wasn't anywhere near a set of Enves.

If I had unlimited funds, I'd get some Enves. But since I don't, I can destroy 2 pairs of these LBs and still be under the cost of 1 Enve rim.
    I agree that the LB rims are a very good choice & I didn't say them because the Op said what is the best carbon wheel.

I agree though he would have been better off asking, What could have been a better question is what carbon wheels are good & best bang for your buck that you would buy yourself.

banned
    ENVE with Project 321 hubs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm in the same shopping mode you are Bradpreo and realized there's no need to spend $2500 on Enve's when I can get Rovals with DT 240 internals for $1k less. Honestly, I wouldn't ride $2500 wheels. I'd be too worried every scratch would cost me $500 of resale, I'm Scottish, we're cheap! The knock offs are interesting especially if they are from the same factory but I have a good big S dealer here so the warranty might be worth it.

Specialized is about to release (or just did, not sure) a set of 29'er XC carbon Rovals at 1580g for $1200. They saved a bunch of money by not putting a "lip" on the inside of the bead. They say it's not necessary now that tire QC is so much higher than it used to be. If these hold up I think they are going to be the turning point in pricing so we will see wheelsets more in the sub $1,500 range.
    Specialized Bicycle Components

If you aren't comfortable with that, the Roval Control Trail SL at $1700 is pretty tough to beat. Specialized Bicycle Components

The Control SL's are a bit lighter than I prefer but might be right for you.
    Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Kappius/Enve

Cassoulet forever !
    The enve XC are too skinny, the enve AM too heavy.

I would go with the WR compositi rims (made in Italy). 315g and pretty wide.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    If you must have carbon then you must go with Enve. I owned another brand of carbon 29er wheels and hated them (too many problems with hubs, spokes, ride, etc.). I got rid of them and bought a set of American Classic aluminum All Mountain 29er wheels. Much, much happier now and the AC's provide a better, faster ride at a fraction of the cost. IMO carbon wheels are over-rated, quality hubs & non-proprietary parts are more important than carbon rims.
    Last edited by hrdude; 11-25-2012 at 10:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Buzzkill!!
    Jboy

lamer
    Ok, now I'm torn. I was going to go with a set of 2013 Reynolds XC carbon wheels for $1500, but I can pick up a two Ence XC rims for $1400 and have them built with whatever hubs I want. Then there's always the Chinese rims that would save me a lot of money. It seems a lot of people are recommending DT Swiss 240s or King hubs. Would it be sacrilege to go with Hope Pro 2 EVOs? I've never had a problem with the ones on my Crests.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by llamma View Post
    Ok, now I'm torn. I was going to go with a set of 2013 Reynolds XC carbon wheels for $1500, but I can pick up a two Ence XC rims for $1400 and have them built with whatever hubs I want. Then there's always the Chinese rims that would save me a lot of money. It seems a lot of people are recommending DT Swiss 240s or King hubs. Would it be sacrilege to go with Hope Pro 2 EVOs? I've never had a problem with the ones on my Crests.
    It is always nicer to go for better hubs but Hope Pro 2 EVo are still a good option & can be relied on.

If it gets you the Rim you want go for it IMO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't ride $2500 wheels. I'd be too worried every scratch would cost me $500 of resale
    Really? You buy things to resell vs use? I buy things to use and then, if and when the time comes to sell, I price them right and hope I got my money's worth out of what I don't recoup, which is what I bought them for in the first place.

Just asking. It's kind of sad we've been taught to think this way.

In all honesty, my Enves will move from bike to bike as I get new ones; I can't imagine ever selling them.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've got Reynolds. I've had them for about a year. I felt a huge difference in Carbon wheels. I know the Enve's are the high end but I got my Reynolds for $1,100 and am perfectly happy with them and the $1,500 I had left for other things....

AOK
    mtbr member
    Very happy with my Roval control SL wheels. DT Swiss hub internals, multiple axle options, and super easy tubeless setup. Like another poster said, watch EBay or MTBR classifieds for a new take-off set if you want to save some money.

Slightly off topic - I would be interested to hear anyone's experience with the new, less expensive "beadless" Roval carbon rims.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post

Light Bicycle AM rims ($165 per rim is the going price these days)...

Carbon29erRims

I had them done up with an old pair of American Classic disc hubs I had and couldn't be happier with their performance the past 7 months.

My set weighs in at 1540g and resides on my RIP 9 with Nobby Nics front and rear.

BB

Hey Bruce,

Does the 1540g weight for the LB wheels include rim strips for tubeless? Do you have to use rubber strips for these or can you get away with Stan's yellow tape?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Really? You buy things to resell vs use? I buy things to use and then, if and when the time comes to sell, I price them right and hope I got my money's worth out of what I don't recoup, which is what I bought them for in the first place.

Just asking. It's kind of sad we've been taught to think this way.

In all honesty, my Enves will move from bike to bike as I get new ones; I can't imagine ever selling them.
    I think you missed my point. Let me give an analogy: We all know the guy with the $60k lifted truck who won't take it offroad for fear of getting it scratched. Maybe driving a $60k truck makes him feel good but I like to use my stuff so would rather drive a beat old jeep and I don't care how it looks. Now, if I owned a $60k truck I probably would care but in my old jeep I couldn't care less. Does it make sense that there's a price point at which I start caring too much about the wheels?

I pay for my own stuff so economic realities are taken into consideration. I don't expect carbon wheels to last more than 1 more season than my regular wheels. I ride very rocky conditions 4-6x a week so wheelsets typically last just over 2 years. My normal wheels cost $800 so average out to $400/year. Assuming I get 3 years from the Rovals, at $500/year they are only a bit more than I'm already paying. But $833/year for Enve's is getting unreasonable at more than double my current payout. Even if they lasted 4 years, which I seriously doubt they could, $625/yr is still more than the Rovals and for what reward?

Maybe that pencils out for you but it doesn't make sense to me. I'd just be the guy who's worried about scratching his truck.

mtbr member
    Well, their 5 year warranty would argue against them only lasting 3 or 4 years.

I understand the analogy with the fancy truck. Personally, if I had that truck, I'd use it as intended (and the intent wouldn't be to compensate for an alleged lack in, er, other departments! lol).
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Does the 1540g weight for the LB wheels include rim strips for tubeless? Do you have to use rubber strips for these or can you get away with Stan's yellow tape?
    That's the weight for mine without the strips/valves that I use on my pair of rims (Bontrager Rhythm 29"er strips and a pair of their valves). With the strips and valves, they weigh 1626g. Going with NoTubes yellow tape and valves, they weigh 1570g.

I went with heavier double butted spokes because these were built to go on my RIP 9 and I wanted a pretty stout and durable wheel. I use the Bontrager strips due to post 131 in this thread.

mtbr member
    Do the Enves, Reynolds, Rovals, have a similar bead-retention inner"lip" or barb?
    I'm presuming that the LB ones do not as some are using a Bonty strip with them, but how about the others??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    Do the Enves, Reynolds, Rovals, have a similar bead-retention inner"lip" or barb?
    I'm presuming that the LB ones do not as some are using a Bonty strip with them, but how about the others??
    ENVE has the UST license from Mavic, as I understand it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast