Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    410

    Best 120mm 29er fork under $500?

    I have a Canfield Nimble 9 I recently built up with parts off my previous 29er. The 100mm Reba that is currently on it is from 2005 and is getting worn out plus the steerer tube is too short to add spacers under the stem. I also have a 2009 Tora 120mm that is in nearly new condition that I got off a friend for cheap. The problem with it is the steerer tube is too short to use at all, however i have seen the stantions crown and steerer tube assembly sold new for the Tora on Ebay for $110. I have also been eying the Marzocci RLO for around $350. It looks like a good fork from what I have read plus I really like the all black look. (not that it should be a deciding factor)
    I really want a 120mm fork which leads me to the following:
    1) Is the Marzocci that much better if any than the Tora?
    2) Is a Reba 120mm that much better than both of the above?
    3) Any other ones you would recommend such as manitou or a more expensive Marzocci?
    I'm only willing too spend near $500 if you can strongly convince me why. Otherwise sub $400 would be nice.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,208
    I'm pretty sure someone posted a sale on Manitou Tower Pros a week or so ago... They were cheap.
    I like turtles

  3. #3
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,523
    The Marzocci 44 Micro Ti is a really nice riding fork. It's been on my Yelli Screamy for almost 2 years.

    I just put a Manitou Tower Pro 29er fork on my 650b bike. It's also a very plush fork tho I only have 2 rides on it so far.

    Both forks have a small coil spring to soak up trail chatter, a feature that I'm totally sold on. The Tower is more tunable than the Marz but travel can't be changed.

    Both great forks. The Tower Pro was on Jenson USA for $330. Haven't seen the Marz under $700 since the chainlove blowout
    No moss...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Whisperer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,871
    Hard to beat the Manitou for the price.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

    Blog

  5. #5
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,937
    I have a 44 micro ti on my nimble 9 I love it. Rode with a 100 on there first and like the bike much better at 120mm.
    See if you can get one off the bay.


    I tapped that

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    588
    Are you only considering a new fork? If so, there are some good deals right now online...but everything is a straight steerer, qr drop outs. I don't see any info if you needed a thru axle or tapered steer tube.

    If your considering used...400-500 should get you a great fork with the exact specs you need. Just gotta keep your eyes open. Also...I've got a marzocchi take off from a Xtc 29er I'm trying to find a good home for...it's a tapered 15 thru axle, 7 inches of steer tube. Travel can be changed from 100 to 120 travel with the correct spacer.

    But if new....a lot of guys like the manitou tower pro. Should be right at your budget. Or I'd recommend a Reba. Those are great forks if you can find one with your specs.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    410
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    Are you only considering a new fork? If so, there are some good deals right now online...but everything is a straight steerer, qr drop outs. I don't see any info if you needed a thru axle or tapered steer tube.

    If your considering used...400-500 should get you a great fork with the exact specs you need. Just gotta keep your eyes open. Also...I've got a marzocchi take off from a Xtc 29er I'm trying to find a good home for...it's a tapered 15 thru axle, 7 inches of steer tube. Travel can be changed from 100 to 120 travel with the correct spacer.

    But if new....a lot of guys like the manitou tower pro. Should be right at your budget. Or I'd recommend a Reba. Those are great forks if you can find one with your specs.
    I need a straight steerer tube and 9mm QR. I have thought about a through axle wheelset but that is a little too expensive right now i think, unless I get a good enough deal on a fork to slide it into the budget. Of course i would need to plan accordingly and make sure i could get both the wheels and the fork.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    288
    I ran Fox and Rock shox forks before and last spring purchase a Manitou Tower Pro. I'm REALLY impressed with the forks performance and durability at it's price. I have a little over 2000 miles on it and it's performing great. Really happy with the purchase and the price.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Niner_Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    99
    BlueSkyCycling.com - 2012 Rock Shox Reba RL Dual Air 29er Fork

    2012 Reba 9mmQR straight steerer. Only real competition at this price range is the Manitou. Both have their pros, with not many cons.

    Most important of all, both are well under your budget. I own the Reba, and it's ace! I think to get a better fork brand new, you'd have to spend over $500.
    Current Stable: 2011 Niner EMD, 2011 Vassago Jabba

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    410
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner_Boy View Post
    BlueSkyCycling.com - 2012 Rock Shox Reba RL Dual Air 29er Fork

    2012 Reba 9mmQR straight steerer. Only real competition at this price range is the Manitou. Both have their pros, with not many cons.

    Most important of all, both are well under your budget. I own the Reba, and it's ace! I think to get a better fork brand new, you'd have to spend over $500.

    Wow, thanks for the link. I've never seen a 120mm Reba that cheap! Unfortunatly I may be jumping the gun with my question because I'm not going to pull the trigger untill my car sells. Anyone need an 07 Forester...lol?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,083
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I have a 44 micro ti on my nimble 9 I love it. Rode with a 100 on there first and like the bike much better at 120mm.
    See if you can get one off the bay.


    I tapped that
    Just deployed my Chainlove blowout version and it is very plush, yet a little heavy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •