mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Bonking ... not feelin' well BB30 adapter removal problem

I got my Cannondale dealer to remove the BB30 adapter on my Cannondale F29 2 (aluminum frame), but the the process has left some substantial scratches inside the frame. Have anybody experienced an similar issue, and how problematic is it?

Plays with tools
    What is it you're worried about? Pictures would be extremely helpful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgbc View Post
    the process has left some substantial scratches inside the frame.
    Unless you have a bearing press, I am thinking your Cannondale dealer would be best able to assess the answer to that question. If your intent is to install a BB30 crankset, the simplest answer would be to have the shop install the cir-clips and press in the bearings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The bike is still at the dealer, so I can't provide pictures yet.

I am worried that when a BB30 crankset is installed it will result in problems like creaking etc. I was under the impression that removing the adapter should not result in any scratches inside bottom bracket shell, but if some scratches are normal and generally not problematic I will continue with the installation of the BB30 crankset.

Plays with tools
    It depends on how deep they are. BB30 can creek regardless of how scratched up the BB shell is, in fact if it's scratched up it might actually help things. Have the shop install the bearings, if it starts to creek there are ways to deal with it, like bearing retaining compound. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

Never trust a fart
    I work for a C-dale dealer. Pressing out the BB30 insert always leaves scratches. What the dealer needs to do is install the cir-clips, and apply green loc-tite to the bearings. This helps prevent creaking.

However, even with loc-tite, BB30 does creak. Usually needs to have the process done again - Loc-tite and reinstall.

Even non-BB30 systems creak. Just the nature of the beast.

Just like customfab said, I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the replies, now I am a lot less worried :-)

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    I work for a C-dale dealer. Pressing out the BB30 insert always leaves scratches. What the dealer needs to do is install the cir-clips, and apply green loc-tite to the bearings. This helps prevent creaking.

However, even with loc-tite, BB30 does creak. Usually needs to have the process done again - Loc-tite and reinstall.

Even non-BB30 systems creak. Just the nature of the beast.

Just like customfab said, I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.
    What grade of green does Cannondale recommend? There's a big difference between the green thread retainer and the green bearing retainer. Color isn't good enough to distinguish a loctite product.

mtbr member
    For Press-Fit 30 installations, the Cannondale instructions call for use of Loctite 609 after first cleaning the bottom bracket insert area with Loctite 7649.

Never trust a fart
    Sorry. Should have clarified customfab.

ms6073 is correct.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I converted my RZ (BB30 Frame with factory adapter) to a BB30 by pressing out the adapter and used loctite 638 for my installation. Almost a year and no creaks yet..

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Same thing here

Quote Originally Posted by jgbc View Post
    I got my Cannondale dealer to remove the BB30 adapter on my Cannondale F29 2 (aluminum frame), but the the process has left some substantial scratches inside the frame. Have anybody experienced an similar issue, and how problematic is it?
    I just removed the FSA BB30 Adapter on a 2013 Cannondale F29, not more than 10 minutes ago, and it does leave some pretty serious scratches and grooves in the frame.

I used a dremel to clean up the BB30 retaining clip grooves and sanded some of the surface lightly. Cannondale did not use loctite to install this, and from what i can tell it has some sort of weld on the right side.

Regardless the scratches and grooves may actually help in inhibiting the creak associated with BB30.

If your are doing this you'll need the removal tool KF366, and Park Tools Headset press HHP-2, takes 20 mins. (Instructions)