mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Bashguard for Giant Trance X 29'er 0 ?

I have recently purchased a 2013 Trance X 29'er 0 that I am riding on long-distance technical singletrack with lots of rocks. Clearance is not great and I smack rocks to the point where I now have damaged teeth on the large cog.

On my old Giant Yukon I just took a 4-inch angle grinder to the 3rd chainring and turned it into a bashguard. I was tempted to to the same on the Trance, turning it into a ghetto 1x10. But recently I had to ride a few miles on a dirt road heading back to the car and it was actually kind of nice to have that big cog to make some time. According to my GPS I hit 714 mph. Sweet.

Anyone have a similar situation? Are there bashguards that will fit over my two existing chain rings? Any insights greatly appreciated!

Crankset: Shimano Deore XT, 24/38
    Cassette: Shimano HG81 11x36, 10-Speed

mtbr member

Bashguard for Giant Trance X 29'er 0 ?

Search the forums for BBG bash guards. Great price, great quality, very happy customers. I have one on my Giant Talon 29er. If you are taking the outer chain ring off, get the bash guard to match the biggest chain ring you're keeping. For me, it was the 32 tooth - it will be slightly larger than the chain ring which will protect it and give some additional clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    You could add a "Taco" like this, just make sure you get the right mount (BB/ISCG/ISCG-05) and teeth size.

Name:  Bruiser2.png
Views: 665
Size:  111.9 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Interesting. Thanks to both. Here is the taco:

Blackspire - BRUISER | Blackspire

Anyone have any thoughts pro/con on the Bruiser vs. traditional bash guard?

Just noticed the Bruiser is thermoplastic. I don't think so. CNC aluminum billet for me thanks. The BBG has a lifetime warranty.

Or specifics on fit for my Trance? I guess I will be consulting with my LBS on that because the details can get tricky.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have absolutely abused my BBG bashguards, and other than ano wear and tear and one dented slightly from a big hit, they have held up great for myself and all the people who ride with me who run them.

I wouldn't run anything else. I get the standard thickness not the lightweight ie. thinner guards. Like a sore d!ck you can't beat it.

Edit-pictured is my second one when I installed it. It's a 32T bash protecting a 30T NW chainring. This one doesn't take any damage compared to the big 36T I ran before. You can mount it to show the BBG logo or turn it in FYI.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Follow-up: Ghetto 1x10

I got a BBG 104 36 to cover my 36T chain ring; it looks like a good product.

Home

But the LBS said "machining" would be required to fit it on the Trance. I don't know if they meant "vertical milling machine" or just grinding but it sounded expensive.

Plus my front ring was destroyed by that point so that would be another $55 or so.

I looked at my notes and realized that I had only used the big ring once in 30 rides. So I decided to go "ghetto 1x10" with my angle grinder.

I also removed the front derailleur which saved 5 oz / 140 g. I have not removed the cable or shifter yet but I probably will. So far I have not missed the big ring.

Before:
    Bashguard for Giant Trance X 29'er 0 ?-20140207_p20887_lo.jpg

Grinding:
    Bashguard for Giant Trance X 29'er 0 ?-20140207_p20889_lo.jpg

After:
    Bashguard for Giant Trance X 29'er 0 ?-20140207_p20890_lo.jpg

mtbr member
    You're really beating the hell out of that bike. Well done!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Follow-up

Thanks

I found the review: I really dislike running a crankset without a bashguard. I got hung up on a big log rollover on this ride and took a big chunk out of my shin, and I find that I either get hung up or grind the big ring on rocks and logs when Im running this configuration on my day-to-day rides. Id much rather give up a few gears the 38T is too big for many climbs for me, anyway in exchange for a 34T crankset and a bashguard. 2013 Giant Trance X 29er - NSMB.com

I have now removed the shifter and cable. This saves another 5.7 oz / 162 g for a total of 10.7 oz / 302 g. Not to become a total gram counter, but this seems like a non-trivial amount of weight. Also it improves access to the dropper switch.

Thought about threading a thin cord through the frame as a "fish tape" when I pulled out the cable, but I decided it is very unlikely I will reinstall the front derailleur.