mtbr member
    Jul 2009

bash guard on 2012 Mamba

i got a new mamba in feb mainly to take it in the woods, i smacked it off a few logs and such and there are so many logs that i would like to get a bash guard, i asked the guy at trek how much it would be to put one on and he said he didnt think i could put one on

basically i have never done this before and i have trouble believing that you physically cant do that, so what would i have to do to get one on my bike?

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My Trek dealer puts them on all the time. They take the top ring gear off once it is beat up. They said just chew up the top gear and once it is good and beat up swap it out with a bash guard.

I hate that name.
    A bashguard in place of the big ring is a pretty simple affair: remove big ring, install bashguard. A bashguard in addition to the big ring, well... it's complicated. Which are you wanting?
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    What cranks and gear set-up do you have?.....I have mounting tabs on my frame to accept one of these...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    to be honest i dont care if they take a ring off or not, the bike has more gears than i will ever use anyway lol i guess i got some beating up to do haha

and its a shaimano alivio 44/32/23 setup

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crestfallinman View Post
    to be honest i dont care if they take a ring off or not, the bike has more gears than i will ever use anyway lol i guess i got some beating up to do haha

and its a shaimano alivio 44/32/23 setup
    The chain rings are not riveted on an Alivio. So putting on a bashguard is dead-simple. You could do it yourself. If you go back to your shop, try to find someone else to talk to who is more mechanically inclined. I'm thinking you must have been talking to a salesperson the first time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If you are ok with losing the large ring then go here, order a 32 T bashguard.
    Products

Then get this tool.
    http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Chai.../dp/B002R048EU

And do it yourself. You'll need to adjust the derailleur limit screws also, but it's very easy.
    Info here
    Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    thanks, that makes alot more sense, i will end up doing it myself lol

29er
    Apr 2010
    don't forget you need to adjust the derailleur so that you can't go into the big ring

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    you could always do this. i am not charging royalties for using my awesome idea.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/$5-bash-triple-791501.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    not to bring back an old thread but is it looked down upon to get a 34t bash guard for mt 32t chainring?

i feel like it would give a bit extra safety but reduce the ground clearance a little

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crestfallinman View Post
    not to bring back an old thread but is it looked down upon to get a 34t bash guard for mt 32t chainring?
    No worries at all. I would not give it a second thought.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Good idea I'll keep this in mind!