ito
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Bar width and stem length

Making some much needed upgrades on my Karate Monkey and I am hoping to get some feedback on bar width. I am currently running a 580mm wide Answer Hyperlite with a ~5* bend on a 90mm Thompson stem with a 10* rise. I ride pretty aggressively and I'm looking for something to provide more stability while descending and more leverage on the climb up. I am almost positive that I want to keep the bar flat, though mostly because I can't think of a good reason to get a riser bar. I've been looking at bars in the 680-750mm width, but I haven't bit on anything as I will have to change my stem as well and I don't want to spend the money until I have a good idea of how I should change my stem length if I am getting a significantly wider bar.

On a rigid singlespeed, what bar widths are you guys running? Does the wide bar improve control or is it just a bunch of hype that I should ignore? Any thoughts on how to make the conversion from narrow and long to wide and short?

turtles make me hot
    I do not ride rigid or singlespeed, but I recently shortened my stem and widened my bars.
    I wasn't really having control issues, but I wanted to change my riding position slightly as my original stem was very long and had a lot of rise.
    I went to an 85mm stem with 5 degrees rise from one that was probably 110 and 15 degrees.
    After that, I wanted to run my brake levers way inboard for one finger braking and it was getting tight on my bars... Plus, I have a 50" chest and felt like I was reaching in while riding the bike.
    I went from 640mm wide risers to 700mm wide risers. Took about 30 minutes of getting used to. Now, I wonder how I ever rode any other way.
    The bike seems to flow through singletrack now. I did not use any width to stem length formula... Just kinda went with what felt right.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I went from 665 to 710 and 720 and it was the best change I ever made. I climb much better now and do indeed feel I have better control. I'd change bars first and them adjust the stem from there.