Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Back to 3 X 10

aka "Señor Taco"
    Jan 2015

Back to 3 X 10

I have decided to go back to a 3x10 on my 2013 Rumblefish Pro 29er. I have a few questions on the reverse swap though. When I converted to 2x10, I went with an XT 2x10 crank 38/24, XTR 2X front derailluer, XTR shifter with 2X/3X switch set to 2X and all works great together. I will now be installing a new XT 3x10 (Sold my old one) with a Bash/32/24. My question is would it be advisable to use the XTR 2X front derailleur, or would it work better putting on my old XT 3X front derailleur and setting the limit screw to keep it off the Bash? Which would shift better/proper?
    The 2X experiment was interesting, but was not for me in the end. I miss the 32 up front, as I used to spend the majority of my time there. I find myself shifting the front derailleur way to often, as I cant pull the 38 on the front enough. Thanks for your replies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I've been considering doing the same, since my outer ring gets zero use.

With a Bash/32/24 do you set the shifter to 2x or 3x mode?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    i would go with the 3x and set the limit screw. at least that way you know it will work for sure.

i am in the same boat. i have had it with not having enough top end gears 42x11 the rare times i am bombing on a long downhill road. and not having a 22x34 for all day multi mountain pass climbfest. going back to 22,32,42 chainrings

manufactures would rather sell you a more expensive, less durable 1x or 2x system as a fix for something that wasn't broke to begin with.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    You'll need the shifter set to 3x and use the limit screw on the FD. You'll get better front shifting with the triple FD too as it's designed for the size of rings you'll have.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'd try the double front derailleur I already had first.

Have you actually bought anything yet?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

aka "Señor Taco"
    Jan 2015
    Well it's good to go. I put the new cranks on tonight and tried to adjust the 2X XTR dérailleur to work. Ain't happening. Wouldn't adjust in enough for the low gear. Not even close. So, got out the old XT 3X dérailleur I had and set the shifter back to 3 and after a few tweeks to tension and limit screws it's good to go. Shifts great. Just as I remember from before my 2x10 experiment. Glad I gave it an honest try, but it's good to be back to my 32 main gear.
    I'm so far behind, I think I'm 1st

aka "Señor Taco"
    Jan 2015
    Back to 3 X 10-image.jpg

aka "Señor Taco"
    Jan 2015
    Back to 3 X 10-image.jpg

aka "Señor Taco"
    Jan 2015
    Now and then. Gotta get some hits on the Fresh bash guard.

aka "Señor Taco"
    Jan 2015
    Back to 3 X 10-image.jpg

aka "Señor Taco"
    Jan 2015
    Back to 3 X 10-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The 32 and 24 front covers a lot of ground, it's hard to imagine needing a front ring much bigger than a 32 on a 29er unless you're doing extended road descents. I'm surprised the 2x's come with such big gears, I think people imagine spinning a 38x11, but that just doesn't happen much.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Native View Post
    Well it's good to go. I put the new cranks on tonight and tried to adjust the 2X XTR dérailleur to work. Ain't happening. Wouldn't adjust in enough for the low gear. Not even close. So, got out the old XT 3X dérailleur I had and set the shifter back to 3 and after a few tweeks to tension and limit screws it's good to go. Shifts great. Just as I remember from before my 2x10 experiment. Glad I gave it an honest try, but it's good to be back to my 32 main gear.
    What happens if you try running the triple derailluer with the shifter in 2x mode? Is the cable pull different? Just thinking that would give you the correct number of clicks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsa103 View Post
    What happens if you try running the triple derailluer with the shifter in 2x mode? Is the cable pull different? Just thinking that would give you the correct number of clicks.
    It would work.

And BTW everyone, 24/32/bash is a 2x set up.

aka "Señor Taco"
    Jan 2015
    I tried this at first ,but wasn't able to get the throw right somehow. I get the right # of clicks In 3X mode with the limit screws adjusted though . I may mess with it some more tonight just to see if I was missing something.

aka "Señor Taco"
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    It would work.

Yes, practically speaking it is. But using 3X components.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Native View Post
    I tried this at first ,but wasn't able to get the throw right somehow. I get the right # of clicks In 3X mode with the limit screws adjusted though . I may mess with it some more tonight just to see if I was missing something.
    The chainline on a dedicated 2X cranks is different than on a 3X, so the indexing is slightly different when the shifter is in the 2X mode. This can cause problems when running a 3X crank with a bash in place of the big ring. You've got it set up right for your set up. No need to mess with it.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    24/32/Bash still uses the 3x chainline, centered on the 32 ring. A true double crank would place the chainline in between the chainrings.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Huh. I wonder where my new crank puts it. It came out of the box as 22/36/bash. Kind of academic since wherever it is, it works.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

aka "Señor Taco"
    Jan 2015
    Now just need to find a home for the XT 2X crankset with 2 gear sets (38/26 and 38/24), and the XTR top swing/bottom pull direct mount 2X derailleur. They've got 6 rides on them and are still like new. Will probably put them in the case at my friends shop and see if I can recoupe some funds from my gearing adventure. Right next to my WOLF TOOTH 40/16 rear gear kit that didn't take 5 rides to realize it was NOT for me and only made it 5 minutes and 100 yards around the parking lot before I pulled it back off.
    Last edited by AZ Native; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:29 AM.

mtbr member
    24/32/Bash still uses the 3x chainline, centered on the 32 ring. A true double crank would place the chainline in between the chainrings.
    3x with bash actually has a little bit better chainline than a dedicated 2x.

aka "Señor Taco"
    Jan 2015
    It would work.

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    3x with bash actually has a little bit better chainline than a dedicated 2x.
    I've heard that. It sure seems to. Runs smooth for sure. Quieter when all cross chained up too it seems.

aka "Señor Taco"
    Jan 2015
    Now that everything is geared the way I want and shifting perfect, I just ordered an XTR Dual Pull, D-Mount, 3X front derailleur from Jenson USA to replace the old XT I put on last night to get things working. It was an open box special I couldn't pass up. They only had one in stock so I grabbed it. Shouldn't have done it but oh well. Didn't want the rear XTR to get lonely. Just can't leave well enough alone. Ha. & Just sold my 2X cranks/derailleur to a co-worker for his 29er hardtail at lunch. Good day. We'll see what I can wad up this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    That is a massive rim/tire combo! what's the inner diameter of the wheels and width of the tires?

aka "Señor Taco"
    Jan 2015
    It would work.

Quote Originally Posted by igno-mtb View Post
    That is a massive rim/tire combo! what's the inner diameter of the wheels and width of the tires?
    35mm outer x 29mm inner DERBY carbon fiber wheels with 2.35 Schwalbe Hans Dampfs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast