Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 56
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chato Fan Club's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    31

    Axle to Crown measurements on new 29er PIKEs ?

    Has anyone seen AC numbers for the new PIKEs?

    Am interested in the 150mm 29er versions. Would like to know if they are taller than the F34 29er OE 150mm forks.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    202
    RockShox Pike RCT3 29 MaxleLite15 Solo Air 150 Diffusion Black Tapered 51 Offset
    Axle to Crown Length: 561 mm

    RockShox Pike RCT3 29" MaxleLite15 Solo Air 140 Diffusion Black Tapered 51 Offset
    Axle to Crown Length: 551 mm

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chato Fan Club's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    31
    Thanks chpfly - are these measurements listed on the Rockshox pages anywhere?

    Interesting that the AC measurements are correspondingly lower than the F34 equivalents ( that I have anyway)

    My 2013 F34 CTD 150mm Floats OEs are approx 568mm
    My 2013 F34 CTD 140mm Floats are approx 561mm
    My 2012 F34 RLC 140mm Floats (ex TALAS) are approx 567mm

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,905
    I might be wrong, but I thought the Fox 34 140 was 552.8 mm?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I might be wrong, but I thought the Fox 34 140 was 552.8 mm?
    Fox website confirms this:

    2013 Product Specifications

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,905
    I will say that my 150mm Pike is shorter A-C than my 2013 Fox 34 140mm.

    So either Fox's or Rockshox's numbers are wrong.

    In reality the Pike is shorter.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I will say that my 150mm Pike is shorter A-C than my 2013 Fox 34 140mm.

    So either Fox's or Rockshox's numbers are wrong.

    In reality the Pike is shorter.
    If I replace my Fox 140mm, should I get the 150mm Pike? Do you think the A to C distances would be comparable?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,905
    I can tell you that my 150mm Pike is approximately 7mm shorter than my 2013 Fox 34 Float 140mm. So you can definitely up the travel with the Pike without raising the front end at all vs. using the Fox. The Pike is also about a 1/2 lb lighter.

  9. #9
    fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Reputation: fleanutz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    392
    Pike 29er 120-150mm Dual Position has 565mm A-C in 150mm mode. Measured mine.

  10. #10
    yohyatt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by fleanutz View Post
    Pike 29er 120-150mm Dual Position has 565mm A-C in 150mm mode. Measured mine.

    If the like is 565 at 150 then it would be 555 at 140. How would this be lower than foxs 552.8 at 140? Even more drastic, how would 565 be lower than 552? Is fox really higher or is SRAM lower?

  11. #11
    yohyatt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    378
    Are these your measurements or foxs?

  12. #12
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,278
    Quote Originally Posted by yohyat View Post
    If the like is 565 at 150 then it would be 555 at 140. How would this be lower than foxs 552.8 at 140? Even more drastic, how would 565 be lower than 552? Is fox really higher or is SRAM lower?
    Pic explains it all- Pike 150mm vs. Fox float 140 RLC (both 29 of course).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Axle to Crown measurements on new 29er PIKEs ?-download.jpg  


  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,905
    Exactly, the Pike Solo 150mm is shorter A-C than then Fox 34 140mm. I can't speak of the dual air version 150/120mm.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Exactly, the Pike Solo 150mm is shorter A-C than then Fox 34 140mm. I can't speak of the dual air version 150/120mm.
    I wish we could get to the bottom of why the published numbers seem to be wrong.

  15. #15
    yohyatt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I wish we could get to the bottom of why the published numbers seem to be wrong.

    Is the atc different on the rlc than the CTD model?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,312
    Got my Pike 150mm Solo Air last night. So impressed with the build quality of this fork. For people who may be put off by the price, I was surprised to see that it comes with a shock pump, a star nut, a full rebuild kit, and two of the tokens that let you tune the air spring volume. So far, a premium experience. Compressing it with my hands, it felt very smooth. It also looks burly and feels light. The install will happen Friday night.

  17. #17
    yohyatt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    378
    hmm - wonder why the 150mm pike los likes its stanctions are the same length as the 140 fox?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by yohyat View Post
    hmm - wonder why the 150mm pike los likes its stanctions are the same length as the 140 fox?
    I believe the Fox forks have some dead space in the stanchions.

  19. #19
    yohyatt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    378
    me to but i doubt over 10mm more than sram

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by yohyat View Post
    me to but i doubt over 10mm more than sram
    I will confirm in the next day or two and report in.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: c-wal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    326

    Re: Axle to Crown measurements on new 29er PIKEs ?

    Measured a 2013 fox float 34 140 and a pike 140 51 last night. The pike was as advertised at ~551 and the float was ~7mm taller.
    Oh and there was a 12g difference between the two. Weighed without axles and crown races; starnut was installed in the fox, and both steer tubes were cut to ~7".

  22. #22
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4,122
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Got my Pike 150mm Solo Air last night. So impressed with the build quality of this fork. For people who may be put off by the price, I was surprised to see that it comes with a shock pump, a star nut, a full rebuild kit, and two of the tokens that let you tune the air spring volume. So far, a premium experience. Compressing it with my hands, it felt very smooth. It also looks burly and feels light. The install will happen Friday night.
    Can u put an actual tape measure on it and give us the real deal A2C?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,312
    Pike 150mm Solo Air 29. Measurement from top of crown prior to crown race installation, down a line parallel to the steerer tube: 560.5mm. I've had two beers.

    Edit: the same procedure on the Float 34 140mm gave a number of 551mm, which is pretty close to states as well. I have a picture that clearly shows the 150mm Pike has a larger A to C than the Float 140mm. Colin, are you sure your Float isn't 150mm. Another difference is the top out behavior of each fork. The Pike has an air negative spring and the Float has a coil negative spring. As a result, the unweighted equilibrium position of the Float can still be extended by pulling the crown and axle apart, even at 100 psi. The unweighted Pike is at full extension.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,312
    Ie it's exactly what Rock Shox says it is.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nickbm3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by yohyat View Post
    hmm - wonder why the 150mm pike los likes its stanctions are the same length as the 140 fox?
    Also, If you look at where the stanchions enter the lowers, the rockshox stanchions enter at a lower point than the fox... basically the lowers are a tiny bit shorter on the Pike, and the crown sits down a bit further onto the stanchions as well. And yes, from other threads the fox 34 is capable of being set at 150 (at least the 2013 was) without changing the stanchion length, so the Pike and fox look the same. My buddy has a fox 36 160mm and can never get the o-ring all the way to the top, even with no air in it, which makes us think the stanchions are the same as the 180mm fox 36.
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    18
    Axle to Crown measurements on new 29er PIKEs ?-img_1004.jpgAxle to Crown measurements on new 29er PIKEs ?-img_1005.jpg

    Confirming 140 solo air 29, 46mm offset = 552 a2c.

  27. #27
    AOK
    AOK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AOK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,873

    Axle to Crown measurements on new 29er PIKEs ?

    My 140 mm / 51 offset measured 551

  28. #28
    yohyatt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    378
    well 12 grams even with the starnut sure isn't the half of pound difference that there is on paper. c-wal - do you remember the weights? was fox less or pike more?

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,905
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Pike 150mm Solo Air 29. Measurement from top of crown prior to crown race installation, down a line parallel to the steerer tube: 560.5mm. I've had two beers.

    Edit: the same procedure on the Float 34 140mm gave a number of 551mm, which is pretty close to states as well. I have a picture that clearly shows the 150mm Pike has a larger A to C than the Float 140mm. Colin, are you sure your Float isn't 150mm. Another difference is the top out behavior of each fork. The Pike has an air negative spring and the Float has a coil negative spring. As a result, the unweighted equilibrium position of the Float can still be extended by pulling the crown and axle apart, even at 100 psi. The unweighted Pike is at full extension.
    My Fox has more exposed stanchion than the Pike 150mm. Who knows? It was supposed to be a 140mm. I never measured it or realized it was long until I got the bike. No wonder my Ripley handled odd with it...

    I do get that "top out clunk" when I pull up on the fork crown while holding the wheel down, a separation effect as you described.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,905
    Quote Originally Posted by yohyat View Post
    well 12 grams even with the starnut sure isn't the half of pound difference that there is on paper. c-wal - do you remember the weights? was fox less or pike more?
    My Pike 150mm weighed approximately .4 lbs less than the Fox. That was with a full length steerer on the Pike and a trimmed one on the Fox. Axles and crown races on both.

    I think my Pike as 4.3 lbs straight out of the box if I remember correctly.

  31. #31
    yohyatt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    378
    ok thanks for the info. what did you mean by the 21 grams then?

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,905
    Not sure, that wasn't me The Fox is heavier though and it is more than 12 or 21 grams.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: c-wal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    326

    Re: Axle to Crown measurements on new 29er PIKEs ?

    Here's pics of each fork on the scale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Axle to Crown measurements on new 29er PIKEs ?-uploadfromtaptalk1375737417759.jpg  

    Axle to Crown measurements on new 29er PIKEs ?-uploadfromtaptalk1375737428760.jpg  


  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,905
    120 grams

  35. #35
    AOK
    AOK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AOK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,873

    Axle to Crown measurements on new 29er PIKEs ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post

    I think my Pike as 4.3 lbs straight out of the box if I remember correctly.
    Sounds right. Mine is right at 4.3 lbs out of the box. Weighed with uncut steerer and maxle, but no star nut.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    35
    So let me sum it up for everybody since there is too many confusing data on this thread.

    140mm Pike is EXACTLY same height A/C as Fox 140mm. Right?

    Pike is not longer or shorter but is EXACTLY the same as Fox at 551mm? Correct?

    Because I need to know for sure before ordering Pike with 140 or 150 mm to replace my current 2013 crappy Talas.

    Please let me know if I got it right.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,905
    My Pike 150mm was shorter than my 2013 Fox 34 140mm.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelo303 View Post
    So let me sum it up for everybody since there is too many confusing data on this thread.

    140mm Pike is EXACTLY same height A/C as Fox 140mm. Right?

    Pike is not longer or shorter but is EXACTLY the same as Fox at 551mm? Correct?

    Because I need to know for sure before ordering Pike with 140 or 150 mm to replace my current 2013 crappy Talas.

    Please let me know if I got it right.
    For all practical purposes, yes.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    My Pike 150mm was shorter than my 2013 Fox 34 140mm.
    But we are pretty sure your Fox 140 was not actually a Fox 140, right?

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,905
    I think I had a freak fork, yes.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    35
    Well. I am looking for advice. I have 140mm Talas 2013 that is trying to kill me. As long as I enjoy long steep climbs and Talas option I was recently climbing without dropping height just to see If I can make it without this function. Yes I can. I use Tals option sometimes and sometimes I forget even about it. So I guess dropping my fork height is not crucial but is nice.

    Now. I want to order either Pike solo 140mm or Pike 150mm Dual (to still have dropping option). At the begining of this post people said that 150mm Pike is same or even lower that 140mm Fox. Later you say they are the same. So I am just trying to get facts straight. However maybe you can recommend 150mm Pike instead of solo for some rason. I just don't want to screw up my bike's geometry (but extra 10mm could be nice).

    Any opinions?

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelo303 View Post
    Well. I am looking for advice. I have 140mm Talas 2013 that is trying to kill me. As long as I enjoy long steep climbs and Talas option I was recently climbing without dropping height just to see If I can make it without this function. Yes I can. I use Tals option sometimes and sometimes I forget even about it. So I guess dropping my fork height is not crucial but is nice.

    Now. I want to order either Pike solo 140mm or Pike 150mm Dual (to still have dropping option). At the begining of this post people said that 150mm Pike is same or even lower that 140mm Fox. Later you say they are the same. So I am just trying to get facts straight. However maybe you can recommend 150mm Pike instead of solo for some rason. I just don't want to screw up my bike's geometry (bu extra 10mm could be nice).

    Any opinions?
    What bike will this go on?

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    35
    Cube Stereo 140mm 2013 model.

    Cube Stereo Super HPC 140 Race | Mountain Bike Reviews

    I am planning BOS Vip'r 2.1 shock to complement Pike

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    35
    Here's review of 160mm Pike on my bike Rock Shox Pike Fork: Final Review

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelo303 View Post
    Cube Stereo 140mm 2013 model.

    Cube Stereo Super HPC 140 Race | Mountain Bike Reviews

    I am planning BOS Vip'r 2.1 shock to complement Pike
    I would personally stay at 140mm. I went from 140 to 150 on my Tallboy LTc, and while it rides fine, I don't think I'm benefitting from the extra 10mm of travel, and it does very slightly hurt the climbing performance on really steep, technical pitches.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I would personally stay at 140mm. I went from 140 to 150 on my Tallboy LTc, and while it rides fine, I don't think I'm benefitting from the extra 10mm of travel, and it does very slightly hurt the climbing performance on really steep, technical pitches.
    So why not lovering it down to 120mm on climbs. That's the point of Dual.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelo303 View Post
    So why not lovering it down to 120mm on climbs. That's the point of Dual.
    Because the stuff I'm talking about doesn't necessarily come in the midst of a sustained climb, but in the flow of riding. I'm just not a fan of travel adjust forks.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Because the stuff I'm talking about doesn't necessarily come in the midst of a sustained climb, but in the flow of riding. I'm just not a fan of travel adjust forks.
    Well that might be right. Sometimes I forget to switch back my Talas to full. Sometimes I forget to lower it. That is why I am leaning towards simplicity of 140mm version.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelo303 View Post
    Well that might be right. Sometimes I forget to switch back my Talas to full. Sometimes I forget to lower it. That is why I am leaning towards simplicity of 140mm version.
    I don't think you'll regret it. The Pike is a great fork. I leave mine open 100% of the time and just ride.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I don't think you'll regret it. The Pike is a great fork. I leave mine open 100% of the time and just ride.
    Still Talas helps on steep technical climbs. But, oh well... I think I keep it simple.

    Thanks for advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Lefty Axle-to-Crown Measurements
    By Steve_N in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 08:51 PM
  2. Axle to Crown Measurements
    By SVSocrates in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-03-2012, 07:00 AM
  3. SID 29er axle to crown (a-c) height?
    By Polk in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-21-2011, 04:34 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2011, 07:17 AM
  5. Fargo fork on a 29er? (Axle to crown stuff)
    By Johnny K in forum Salsa
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 12:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •