Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Avid Elixir brakes

I changed my mind about getting a Mamba (hayes disk) and now decided to get a Cobia (Elixir). I have heard that the Elixir brakes have some problems. What are these problems, and if there are many, how much is a new Shimano brake set?
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    My Elixirs are just fine
    Last edited by piesoup; 12-01-2012 at 12:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Occasionally, the elixirs have had some issues with caliper alignment. There is also noise when using the original metallic brake pads. With that being said, SRAM will stand behind their product and fix the issues you do have.

mtbr member
    My Elixir brakes have proven to be problem free and perform great. As long as you bleed them once a year if you ride alot, they will perform for you. I LOVE my Elixir CR's
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    My Elixirs were noisy/vibrated from day 1...this is on a Specialized and there is a theory that is has something to do with frame resonance. I fixed mine with different pads/rotors and another trick I found on here of gluing the pads to the retainer spring. Don't worry about/fix a problem until you have it. Plenty of people on Avid hydro brakes trouble-free.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I bought two bike in 11' with Elixirs and I have had issues such as sticky pistons, brake fade, and lever feature not working since about two weeks in.

Eventually my rear one could not be fixed by the LBS and now have XT in the rear (no ****). It was an awkward fit at first, but it does not bother me anymore. The front brakes are 1/5 as problematic as the rears in terms of noise and maintenance so I'll wait to upgrade those.

I hate Elixirs as a result. YMMV

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    my elixirs have been good, but I would probably go for xt's or slx's next time. They fuction quite well, but the paint is peeling a little.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I also have 2010 Avid Exilir CR and no problems!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Besides less difficulty with fluid, less vibration and noise, XTs(SLX) are really powerful, especially the front brake. $80-100 a wheel without rotors.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    DO NOT GO ELIXR!!! PLEASE READ MY RECENTLY POSTED THREAD IN REGARDS TO MY STUMPJUMPER (posted about 3 minutes ago under 29er components)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Art.C View Post
    I bought two bike in 11' with Elixirs and I have had issues such as sticky pistons, brake fade, and lever feature not working since about two weeks in.

Eventually my rear one could not be fixed by the LBS and now have XT in the rear (no ****). It was an awkward fit at first, but it does not bother me anymore. The front brakes are 1/5 as problematic as the rears in terms of noise and maintenance so I'll wait to upgrade those.

I hate Elixirs as a result. YMMV
    AMEN TO THIS! Same issues as me! Mine require bleeding literally, every other week do to the pistons constantly getting stuck in the recessed position. I am completely fed up with the system!

So if the Elixirs on the Cobia do fail like you say, how much more would it be for my LBS to install Shimano hydraulic disk brakes when they do.

Forth Eorlingas!

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    actually, yes mine had sticky pistons....last time I bled them I put some fluid arund the piston and washed the excess off. Seems to have helped. Another reason to think about xt's

mtbr member
    My '12 Elixir 1's with the HS1 rotors have been meh. They work fine once you've done a few hard stops from a decent speed in a ride, but if you haven't, they warble and shudder on each stop, which makes them vague and jumpy on slower technical riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    So if the Elixirs on the Cobia do fail like you say, how much more would it be for my LBS to install Shimano hydraulic disk brakes when they do.
    They go on sale and you can do the install even if you have to shorten a hose. Check the brake section for tips.

If it is a high chance that the elixirs on the Cobia will be bad, is it even worth it to buy the bike?

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have had the 2011 Elixir CR's on my bike for almost a year. I haven't had too many issues with them. I also have not bled them yet.

Power is decent enough for one finger braking at all times. Occasional noise. I think it gets especially noisy after getting them hot on a downhill section, letting them cool for just a little bit and then going down another hill. But usually it isn't too bad.

They do fade on long steep downhills. They tend to get noisy also when they get really really hot. That is with the 185mm on the front.

For some reason every time I take off my front wheel and re-attach it I need to adjust the brake caliper to stop it from rubbing. I assume this has more to do with the wheel, but it means I have gotten really good at adjusting the calipers.

When it is time for new ones I will probably go with slx since everyone seems to love those. But the Elixir's haven't been absolutely horrible like everyone seems to say.

mtbr member
    Good post and I do agree. If I were to buy a new brake set now, SLX or XT would be on my list. But if a bike came with Elixir, then I'd ride the darn thing and worry about which trail I'm going to hit rather than which brake lever feels stiffer!
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

ready to ride
    Another dissatisfied Elixir user. I have Elixir 1s and my wife's bike has Elixir 3s. I knew going in the the vibration and turkey gobble was one thing but I have had my rear brake go completely soft on me several times. Not such a good thing when you are doing some pretty technical downhills. This is after the LBS has bled, and completely replaced all the fluid in them. After a few times my LBS called it in as a warranty issue. Luckily my LBS put on a loaner Juicy. Much better but not 100% trouble free.

I will say my wife's have been much better, but aligning them are a complete PIA and they seem to get out of alignment quite easily and then you can welcome the horrific warble. Which she despises.

SRAM/Avid should take notice but they don't. I find it unbelievable they turn out such a crap product and seemingly don't care to address it. Its not like its is some bleeding edge technology.

Either way some SLX or XTs will be going on my bike in the not too distant future. Tired of my brakes not working and sounding like a squealing pig. Certainly won't willingly use Avids in the future.