mtbr member

ASAP decision : Notubes Flow vs Easton Haven

Need to pick these wheels up online before my new bike gets here,there is no way I'm going taco on the very first ride with lousy Rovals.

What say you :

ZTR's at 315 Euro delivered ( excellent price,nice black color,nice looking hub but never trusted those non straight spokes, 1900gr obscene weight)
    Superstar Components - High Spec Parts For Peanuts

Easton Haven at 1000 Euro delivered ( very expensive,cool looking,straight spokes hub,1650 gr)
    Easton HAVEN 29'' ruota Mod. 2012 :: HIBIKE

As a pure reference I'm 6 ft,171 lbs and I'm generally quite easy on my wheels. I'm not going to do drops,just some rocky short and tralish downhills.
    Last edited by Devastazione; 09-06-2012 at 02:51 AM.

High Gravity Haze
    Currently owning a set of 2010 Havens and at 6' 182 lbs, I love how stiff the Haven wheelset is, but I thoroughly distrust the hubs. If the hub problems have not been cured from the 2010 models, I would advise against them.

mtbr member
    Yeah just read about those. It seems the hub thing is a 2010/2011 something issue. I'll keep browsing around for more infos.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have the Flow EX...but laced to King. I haven't ever read too many negative things about Stans vs. Easton wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Why not the Arch EX? They sound perfect for your application.

mtbr member
    I know you asked about Stan's wheels against Easton and it's irritating if someone suggests something completely different but I'd still like to do it anyway. I have a set of SUN Ringlé Charger Pro for the last few months and I'm very happy with them. I'm 220lbs. and I've been hammering them on a Banshee Paradox on North Eastern USA rocks and roots. You mentioned straight pull spokes, which they have as well as 22.5mm. internal width like Flows. If you wanted a narrower, lighter wheelset there is the Black Flag. Same hubs, different rim. Both front and rear hubs are convertible to all axle standards.

As you are in Europe, SUN Ringlé are well serviced by Chain Reaction. The wheels are at a reasonable price and they have all necessary end caps, axles and tools. (I've converted my rear axle to a 12mm. bolt on which fits a standard 10mm. vertical dropout.)

Oh and by the way, SUN Ringlé is a Hayes Bicycle Group company. They make Stan's wheels and hubs and they have the same tubeless BST as Stan's.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianwon View Post
    Why not the Arch EX? They sound perfect for your application.
    That's what I tought aswell but when you read around comparisons between Flow and Arch it's Flow all the way..... I just want peace of mind and long time reliability.
    Last edited by Devastazione; 09-06-2012 at 09:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    I know you asked about Stan's wheels against Easton and it's irritating if someone suggests something completely different but I'd still like to do it anyway. I have a set of SUN Ringlé Charger Pro for the last few months and I'm very happy with them. I'm 220lbs. and I've been hammering them on a Banshee Paradox on North Eastern USA rocks and roots. You mentioned straight pull spokes, which they have as well as 22.5mm. internal width like Flows. If you wanted a narrower, lighter wheelset there is the Black Flag. Same hubs, different rim. Both front and rear hubs are convertible to all axle standards.

Ronnie these are some very valuable informations and I truly thank you for that !! I'm seriously looking into these Sun Ringle thing now.
    Just one quick information :

"Quick Release, 135×12, 142×12 Rear Axle Options

(12mm axle end caps sold separately) "

They mean I have to buy the adapters for the 142x12 conversion seprately,right ? About the axle I may use the OEM Specialized one,can you folks confirm ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Ronnie these are some very valuable informations and I truly thank you for that !! I'm seriously looking into these Sun Ringle thing now.
    Just one quick information :

"Quick Release, 135×12, 142×12 Rear Axle Options

(12mm axle end caps sold separately) "

They mean I have to buy the adapters for the 142x12 conversion seprately,right ? About the axle I may use the OEM Specialized one,can you folks confirm ?
    The wheelset comes with standard QR end caps fitted and front adapters for QR15 and 20mm. are supplied. They also come with skewers. If you intend using a 142 X 12mm. rear axle you will have to order a set of Sun Ringle Charger Pro 142 x 12 End Cap 2012. Just pull out the QR end caps and pop the 12mm. into the hub. Of course you would use your 142 X 12mm. axle that comes with your bike/frame.

Here's a photo of my wheelset with QR15 and 12mm. bolt on rear axle:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ASAP decision : Notubes Flow vs Easton Haven-img_1498.jpg  

ASAP decision : Notubes Flow vs Easton Haven-img_1684.jpg  

ASAP decision : Notubes Flow vs Easton Haven-img_1686.jpg  

The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Very nice. Correct me if I'm wrong : are those the white model ones or are those just stickers on the black model ? Too many stickers....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Very nice. Correct me if I'm wrong : are those the white model ones or are those just stickers on the black model ? Too many stickers....
    They are the black rims. I kind of agree with you about the stickers and I've been thinking of taking them off but my frame is very black. Perhaps I should have got the white ones. By the way, did you notice the "No-tubes" label on the stickers?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ASAP decision : Notubes Flow vs Easton Haven-img_1582.jpg  

mtbr member
    Yep,noticed the notubes.com thing and it's kinda funny.

This is the bike,those white stickers would eventually have to go away big time ,don't care if the color match is 75% there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ASAP decision : Notubes Flow vs Easton Haven-stj.jpg