mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Ardent Race 29 3C/EXO/TR weight seems to be misreported

The maxxis website shows only a 25g jump from the Ardent race tr/exo 2.2 to the 2.35 size (720g to 745g) but the ikon 2.2 to 2.35 sizes are showing a 100g increase. One of these has to be incorrect as the Ardent has more rubber. If ~100g is the 2.2 to 2.35 jump then the Ardent Race would be more like 820g.

I'm kind of bummed because I put this tire on the front and while it handled a technical race course very well (breckenridge fall classic), that's a lot of weight to add (going from a 2.2 Ikon at 640g). I ran the 2.35 Ardent at 20psi, but feel like I'd destroy carbon rims with 20psi on the 2.2 size. I weight 145lb and over the past season I bent and destroyed a stans crest rear and bent the front too (still seals), running ikon 2.2 on both front and rear with about 22psi front 24psi rear on a FS Yeti. Any ideas?

Ikon Ikon | Maxxis Tires USA
    Ardent race Ardent Race | Maxxis Tires USA

SS Pusher Man
    If it is that heavy......it doesn't ride that heavy.

Fast rolling tire with a good amount of grip.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Run what works best.

I ran Ardent race in 2.35 in the front, Didn't like it. Not enough corner grip for me. Switched back to my Ardent 2.40 which is only 4oz heavier. Love them.

It's not all about weight
    Too Many .

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoise View Post
    Any ideas?
    How much air pressure you need is going to depend on more than just your weight and some formula that is meant to give a starting point. It will depend on your riding style, and trail surfaces. If you're beating rims up that badly, you're going to have to compromise somewhere. Either run more air in the smaller tire if weight is that big a deal, or deal with the weight in the larger tire if you feel like your traction is compromised so much by running enough air pressure to keep from breaking stuff. Even car setups at the Formula 1 level are compromises, but the one thing no team will compromise to win is durability, because there's an old saying in racing: If you want to finish first, first you have to finish.

MTB B'dos
    Wow, you destroyed a Crest Seriously, I think they bend if you look at them too hard. As to the rest of your post, don't quite understand it, are you saying the tyre made you slower because it handled well and gave you more confidence for an all be it small weight penalty? If you increase tyre size/volume, you're going to increase weight, that's just basic physics, deal with it or don't, but I'll take a good handling tyre that inspires confidence with a small weight increase over a slighter tyre that you haven't got the confidence in and have to worry about.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    I measured only 14g difference b/w 2.2 and 2.35 ardent race exo:

Ardent Race 2.2@772g v. 2.35@786g (in packaging)?

Packaging was 26g.
    '15 Spesh Epic World Cup
    '16 Spesh Crux
    '17 Spesh Epic HT

mtbr member
    A top notch PRD will have you sorted o_0

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg81 View Post
    I measured only 14g difference b/w 2.2 and 2.35 ardent race exo:

Ardent Race 2.2@772g v. 2.35@786g (in packaging)?

Packaging was 26g.
    Then it must be that they botched the ikon weight, because if the ardent is only a 14g increase then 100g increase on ikon doesn't make sense. Next time I got to my shop I'll see if they can weight it

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    Run what works best.

I ran Ardent race in 2.35 in the front, Didn't like it. Not enough corner grip for me. Switched back to my Ardent 2.40 which is only 4oz heavier. Love them.

It's not all about weight
    You're right, it's not all about weight. Weight is a trade off, but if the manufacturer lists in correct weights that are far enough off then maybe it's a net loss vs gain

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    How much air pressure you need is going to depend on more than just your weight and some formula that is meant to give a starting point. It will depend on your riding style, and trail surfaces. If you're beating rims up that badly, you're going to have to compromise somewhere. Either run more air in the smaller tire if weight is that big a deal, or deal with the weight in the larger tire if you feel like your traction is compromised so much by running enough air pressure to keep from breaking stuff. Even car setups at the Formula 1 level are compromises, but the one thing no team will compromise to win is durability, because there's an old saying in racing: If you want to finish first, first you have to finish.
    I rode the crest two seasons before they succumbed. I never had problems with them before except they lost tension and got a bit spongy towards the end, prior to the rock hits.

Really hard to know exactly what you're going to encounter on the trail except for maybe local rides. I do a lot of exploring and some races and there's just no way to adjust the pressure for those cases. It's all about how what's more important: crashing occasionally (too high pressure/loss of traction) vs destroying a $800 wheel (too low pressure), vs weight penalty (higher volume tire). All tradeoffs. Over time I'll figure it out, but looks like I'm going to a 2.35 ikon on the rear if the weight isn't 100g more than 2.2 as Maxxis says and btw, they haven't responded to me.
    Last edited by turquoise; 09-16-2017 at 02:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Now this will curl your toes o_0

The 2.35 Ikon (on the same 23ID rim) is actually wider than a 2.35 Ardent Race.

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just back from the shop and Feedback sports scale says

Ardent Race TR/EXO 2.35 -> 810g (30g packaging) -> 780g (Maxxis claims 745g, +35g)
    * The didn't have the Ardent 2.2 in stock
    Ikon TR/EXO 2.2 -> 689g (30g packaging) -> 659g (Maxxis claims 640g, +19g)
    Ikon TR/EXO 2.35 -> 773g (30g packaging) -> 743g (Maxxis claims 740g, +3g)

Based on some fuzzy math the Ardent 2.2 should be around 690g. Of course there's going to be some variabilit due mfg tolerances but I'm calling +35g off a Maxxis error, and 19g off as suspect.