mtbr member
    Apr 2012

ardent 2.4 or hans dampf front 2.35 29er tyre

Has anyone gone from using a maxxis ardent to a schwalbe hans dampf on the front at all? If so, was there any benefits with the hans dampf at all?

nothing to see here
    Try the On-One Chunky Monkey. Based on the ardent casing, but designed by Shiggy. I've been rocking one (trail extreme sticky compound) on the front for a month or more, and it's freaking awesome!

Oh, and it's considerably cheaper than either the Ardent or the HD.

I switched from an Ardent 2.4, and couldn't believe the improvement.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member

ardent 2.4 or hans dampf front 2.35 29er tyre

I have gone from Hans Dampf front and rear to Maxxis high roller 2 front and ardent race on the rear of my TRc and I'm loving them, HD wear out to quick.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by theduff View Post
    Has anyone gone from using a maxxis ardent to a schwalbe hans dampf on the front at all? If so, was there any benefits with the hans dampf at all?
    What are you looking to accomplish? Improved front traction for gnarly stuff? Using it on a long travel bike? You looking at the Super Gravity version of the Dampf for DH'ing or the 300g lighter version?

Some other great all around front tires include Maxxis Ikon 2.35, and the Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35. Both are plenty aggressive and I prefer them over the Ardent 2.4, but I'd say the Dampf would be the most aggressive of all of these and certainly appropriate anytime the bike is pointed down the hill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    StevoB- I'll have to look up this chunky monkey you speak of.
    Mint355- I didn't realize that high rollers were in 29 inch tyres.
    Looks like more research is needed, thanks guys.

Warrior's Society
    I went from running the Ardent 2.4 to the Hans Dampf 2.35 on my Tallboy.

Big fan of the Ardent. Really like it.

Heard goo things about the HD, so figured I would give it a try. Liked it at first. Was good in the rock and chunk...not so good in the loose over hardpack we have here in So. Cal. Didn't like how fast it showed the wear running on the front. Also got tired of the Monster Truck feeling when runnin it. Could never get the PSI correct running tubeless.....it was either too rigid or squirmed all over.

Went back to running the Ardent....happy camper again.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks mtnbikej that's exactly the info I was looking for!

cowbell
    I have a friend with the HD, he complains about wear rates. I picked up an Ardent 2.4 for the front of my bike - love it. He took a spin on it, and next time we rode, his bike was sporting one too. Seems to be wearing better as well.

I'm with stupid
    I went from a ardent 2.4 to a HD in 29er flavor on the front. The HD is monster truck tire. I would really only use it for DH days. Its slow and noisy on the front. So if you ride to and from the trail it will drive you crazy. Lots of grip though.

mtbr member
    My tallboy LTc came w/ the 2.2 ardents stock, and I was not impressed at first. Figured out that I needed to run pretty low psi (~18-20, and I weight 175lbs w/out gear) to come up with any traction. That made the tires decent.

For reference, I'm riding a mix of XC, long and sometimes loose & rocky climbs, downhills that are sandy/muddy/loose rock.

The HDs (ran them front & back) GREATLY improved my traction in pretty much all conditions, though I still wasn't super impressed in wet stuff. However, I think they're a lot slower to get moving and keep moving, especially in muddy conditions. Mud just stuck to them, and it felt like I was trying to push additional pounds of rotating weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    If you are prepared to carry the weight of a Hans dampf then try a maxxis high roller 2. Eats it for breakfast.
    Hans dampf is all good until those little side knobs start to tear, then it's awful. Looks brand new but its only fit for the bin.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by weedkilla1 View Post
    If you are prepared to carry the weight of a Hans dampf then try a maxxis high roller 2. Eats it for breakfast.
    Hans dampf is all good until those little side knobs start to tear, then it's awful. Looks brand new but its only fit for the bin.
    I have both those tires and to me, each has its own strengths. I really like the HR on any surface that it can push its side knobs in. On hardpack and rock, I prefer the HD for its volume and feel. I run the trailstar compound version on the front, pacestar on the back. The HD seems to roll a bit easier. When things get a bit muddy: HR. It's not a true mud tire, but it clears clay very well, unlike the HD. The HD is lighter and definetly more supple. The HR tended to ping off rock, while the HD absorbed stuff.

As for the Ardent 2.4: Rode that one too, but I never felt confident cornering it, at different tire pressures. Might be personal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    Try the On-One Chunky Monkey. Based on the ardent casing, but designed by Shiggy. I've been rocking one (trail extreme sticky compound) on the front for a month or more, and it's freaking awesome!

Oh, and it's considerably cheaper than either the Ardent or the HD.

I switched from an Ardent 2.4, and couldn't believe the improvement.

+1, Its also has the EXO protection, and rolls really good in hardpack too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JeroenK View Post
    I have both those tires and to me, each has its own strengths. I really like the HR on any surface that it can push its side knobs in. On hardpack and rock, I prefer the HD for its volume and feel.
    Thats interesting, just at the end of winter here, so far I havent noticed this.

I have on the 26" version of the HR2 on a dh bike, but I havent been able to overload those little side knobs on 29er version in any meaningful way. Either things are still soft enough, or I'm not riding hard enough.

I have been running it on my Kona Honzo and racing it DH in the hardtail class, so far its been as close to a dh tyre as I need (i've dinged up some rims, but I havent had a cut/pinch flat thats stopped me). This bike also does double duty as my night xc/filthy weather bike and I just leave the high rollers on.

Our night rides include a couple of "tuck and keep rollin" hills that are our unofficial rolling resistance test ground, hr2 was same speed as HD front/ardent rear, and not far off the crossmark crowd. I was quite impressed.

Ive tried the on-one tyres, the ardents in different sizes, the HD, Mountain kings (If they did a black chilli in 29 i'd use it). Since I tried the Ardent race, and the HR2 i've finally found all I need I think. Still have to try the 2 Minions though :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by weedkilla1 View Post
    Thats interesting, just at the end of winter here, so far I havent noticed this.

I have on the 26" version of the HR2 on a dh bike, but I havent been able to overload those little side knobs on 29er version in any meaningful way. Either things are still soft enough, or I'm not riding hard enough.
    Or I am not riding hard enough on hardpack to make it dig in. The HR seems to favor riders that commit and put it on its sideknobs. I have a hard time doing that on hardpack. It's probably just personal preference for a certain cornering feel.

[QUOTE=weedkilla1;10761053]Mountain kings (If they did a black chilli in 29 i'd use it).

They do! Continental Bicycle -*Mountain King II

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I think that was more of the case with the original high roller. Those side knobs were like hitting a wall, you just had to ride through the slide to get there.

HR2 seems much more progressive, but the side knobs are smaller and less supported. On a super tacky version (with a dh bike) it is quite obvious in hardpack that they can be overwhelmed. The 3c version on a 29er hardtail may be supportive enough for me, but I wont know for a few months.

I was genuinely interested that you had noticed it.

The tyre that has impressed me most recently is the Ardent race. Totally redesigned from the original ardent, it is now an amazing tyre.
    Sub 700gm, and cornering ability equal or better than every tyre mentioned in this thread. It is however a size smaller than everything in this thread, with a lower knob height so cant compete in big chunder or deep and loose stuff. Hardpack, rock and roots it is amazing at the weight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I think others have covered it, but the biggest difference between the two tires is that the HD has more volume. It is a legit 2.3 casing, which does make a difference when smashing into things and surfing at high speed.

I would get the HD in the harder compound if you ride any hardpack because the softer rubber can fold over.

I hear everybody about the wear on the HD and I agree it is too fast, but the ardent isn't that great for wear on the side knobs. I found that they wore out on the 2.4 and 2.2 way before the center tread, at which point they are still OK to use as a rear tire, but I wish they lasted longer.

For me, the Ardent was better on hardpack corners and the HD better on everything else, but they are both close, and both good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by riiz View Post
    +1, Its also has the EXO protection, and rolls really good in hardpack too.
    +1+1, The Chunky Monkey at $30ish bucks it's a clear winner in my book. The confidence it inspires more than pays for the weight penalty over the Ardent 2.4