unrooted

Ardent 2.4 front and rear???

Right now I have an Ardent 2.4 up front and a Spec. Purgatory 2.3 UST on the rear. I'm looking to lose a little weight, but want to also increase volume and the Ardent seems to be one of the few 2.4 tires out there.

FYI-I'm riding a Transition Transam 29 (hardtail) and I ride dusty, sandy and rocky trails like bootleg and mammoth.

mtbr member
    I have run an Ardent 2.4 front and rear on a Nimble 9, and I currently run them on my Yelli Screamy. I have done everything from short 10 mile local rides to 100 mile races on them.

mtbr member
    Ardents are heavy tires.

There are other choices that are much lighter with plenty of volume.

I like Racing Ralph 2.4 in the front and 2,25 snakeskin rear.

SPP
    Rigid.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Ardents work really well. They roll very well and grip pretty well. A good tire. They set up tubeless well also.

dvn
    mtbr member
    I am running them front and rear on my rigid single speed. No complaints other than weight.
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    Right now I have an Ardent 2.4 up front and a Spec. Purgatory 2.3 UST on the rear. I'm looking to lose a little weight, but want to also increase volume and the Ardent seems to be one of the few 2.4 tires out there.

FYI-I'm riding a Transition Transam 29 (hardtail) and I ride dusty, sandy and rocky trails like bootleg and mammoth.
    Check out the Ikon 2.35. Roughly the same volume as an Ardent 2.4, less weight and rolling resistance, and a little less grip of course. Seems to check your boxes.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    Check out the Ikon 2.35. Roughly the same volume as an Ardent 2.4, less weight and rolling resistance, and a little less grip of course. Seems to check your boxes.
    I am running this set up for tires; Ardent 2.4/Ikon 2.35 on a Honzo. They pair really well together with the Ardent holding on longer and the Ikon breaking away in turns. The Ikon seems to dig just fine to find traction in loose/sandy climbs.

I measured both of them a few days after I mounted them and the Ikon was 58-59mm at the casing vs the 60-61mm or the Ardent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I was running Ardents front and rear on my karate monkey, just switched the front to a knard 29x3, absolutely love it and it pairs well with the ardent in the rear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I just put a Maxxis Ikon 2.35 on and its quite efficient . Light for a large volume tire and rolls really well. The knobs are taller than the 2.2 Ikon. I would recv. as a rear tire for where you ride.

mtbr member
    I roll a Ardent 2.4 front and Ikon 2.35 rear as well on a gen 2 nimble 9. Great combo.

mtbr member
    I have Ardent front and rear on my Tallboy LTc. Love the combo, grip well and roll awesome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I ride a Spec Stumpjumper Evo and just replaced the rear Purgatory 2bliss, with a slightly used Ardent 2.4 exo (had used it as a front tire for about 100 miles). Minion 2.5 exo up front.

Only one ride on the set up at Cowboy Trails, haven't made it out to Bootleg yet, but Cowboy is as loose as I've ever seen it, and I loved it. I didn't notice any increased rolling resistance, but I really noticed the increased descending confidence. It hooked up well, and I could really feel it holding on thru the loose on cornering.

I realize the Exo casing is stiffer than the 2bliss, but so far I'm happy. Hoping to get to Bootleg this week.