Thread: Arch vs. Flow

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Arch vs. Flow

Wanted to get some opinions on this forum....

Am building a custom set of wheels for an enduro bike (5" travel). Am settling on Stan's Arch vs. Flow (not considering carbon, so thanks for mentioning it).

The Arch has a 21mm inner diameter rim width. The Flow has a 25.5mm inner diameter (4.5mm difference). The difference in weight per rim is 80 gms (160 for both). I don't think that is really that significant amount of weight (at least for me) as a penalty between the two. But it would seem that the Flow would give me better traction and durability if I went with it over the Arch. I run them tubeless.

A couple of questions:

Since the Flow has a larger inner diameter, it will give me more grip. But will it create a noticeble difference in rolling resistance? (Wider rim, increased resistance?).

Since the Flow has a larger inner diameter, will it be harder to mount up some tires (my "go to" tire is the WTB Bronson and I have found that some rims really don't like that tire).

Thanks for everyone's input!

I have and like the Bronson as well. I've read and it is also listed on Stan's website that the WTB TCS doesn't play nice. Go for the new this year WTB TCS i25 rims... 25mm internal. Awesome rims. Tubeless works perfect when using WTB tire/WTB rim.

And no luck having me talk you down from wide rims/tires... I ride a fat bike with 100mm wide rims half the year As most will tell you... wide will grip like velcro in the corners and on climbs = you keep going = faster.

mtbr member
    I have a set of both. The Flow will definitely give you higher volume, bigger footprint. I'm a cross country guy, so I run 2.2's on the Flow. 2.2 front, 2.1 rear on the ArchEX. The Arches feel stiffer to me. Probably not possible, but it's a distinct stiffer feeling to me. The Flows were built by an experienced local builder and I built the Arches. The Arches definitely roll faster than the Flows, but again, give you a smaller footprint. Cant go wrong with either IMO. ZTR are fantastic rims in my opinion. A little finicky with tensions, and some tires are really hard to mount. Other than that......Stiff tough and light.