mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Arch EX: strong enough?

Hi,

I'd like to upgrade the wheels of my Stumpjumper FSR 29". I'm 175lbs, my trails include some rocky sections and I occasionally do small drops/jump (a couple of feet max) and I was wondering if Arch EX are strong enough or if I should go with Flow EX. Flows are stronger for sure but don't know if (weight wise) they're worth the upgrade; don't think I need a larger rim since I don't plan to mount tires bigger than 2.35".

Any opinion welcome.

Thank you

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I do think you'll be fine, this coming from someone who is 200 lbs before gear, riding on Flows (non-EX), on typically very rocky trails.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    After researching the interwebs to make the same decision myself, I will be getting either Arch EXs or their SunRingle Equivalent, Black Flag Pros for a new HT build I'll be doing. Everything I've read indicates they should be more than adequate for XC to moderate trail use. If you want to hit bigger stuff harder, or just want an extra measure of confidence, go with the Flows or Chargers. BTW, I'm 200lbs geared up, and ride the roots and rocks of central CT, tho not with abandon.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I put about 2000 miles on a set this year and they have not come out of true yet. The rear spokes have needed retensioning twice but no big deal. I'm about 160lbs and ride rocky XC with some decent drops and jumps thrown in to keep it interesting. I run the Ardent 2.25 (?) front at 20-22psi and the Ikon rear at 28-30psi.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    They will work fine for you. I am 195Lbs and ride very rough terrain on mine and they are great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thank you guys for your answers! I searched the web and found a lot of people with my doubts... Probably there's room between the Arch Ex and the Flow Ex for a "mid-weight" rim: 23mm inner width, 500g for the 29" version. Stan, you can call it the "Bunny Ex" :-D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil bunny View Post
    Thank you guys for your answers! I searched the web and found a lot of people with my doubts... Probably there's room between the Arch Ex and the Flow Ex for a "mid-weight" rim: 23mm inner width, 500g for the 29" version. Stan, you can call it the "Bunny Ex" :-D
    Well that's pretty much the old Flow, which you can still find on sale. I just picked two of them from Universal Cycles for $45 each (minus 15% discount with the vip15 coupon). The difference in weight between the Arch EX and old Flow is 50g per rim and the Flow has an internal rim width of 22.6mm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hey, i would base your decision on your riding style. At your weight, youll be fine on the Crest, ArchEX, or FlowEX. I weight about 190 at the moment, and really like my arch ex wheels. I just got the budget friendly version with the stans 3.30 hubs...and honestly..they work great. I paid something like 425 out the door at my local shop. You can always spend more for some nicer hubs...but there is nothing wrong with the stans build for most riders.

Ive never noticed any significant flex and they set up nicely tubeless or with a tube. If your strictly looking for a lightweight wheelset...the crest would fit the bill. If your doing more all mtn type riding...you might want to consider the flows. If you want something in between...the arch is a no brainer. Im probably gonna grab a set of the crest as well, just so i can rotate between the arch and crest depending on what im doing. You can get 2 sets of the stans build for the cost of 1 higher end build like the mavic crossmax or similiar.

B.Ike
    My riding sounds a lot like yours. 230# on my old style arch for going on two years, no problems. (Its a front wheel on 120mm fork). Technically I'm probably too heavy for it but I make up for it with good technique.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Overall, pretty happy with mine. I'm 190-200 ride weight and I ride rocks and roots pretty aggressively. I've folded a front in half after clipping a tree and just had the rear replaced under warranty because of a spoke tension issue. The new rear is noticeably stiffer.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm running arch EX's on my tallboy. I'm 200lbs in gear and not graceful. Overall have been good wheelset. Running tubeless with maxis ignitors.
    I did taco a front rim this year but that was my fault not the rims fault. I realized halfway down our local DH trail I was on my tallboy and not my big bike . I cased a landing a taco'd. Again problem was rider not rim

mtbr member
    I hammer my Arch EX's in rocks, roots, etc, and they hold up just fine. 168lbs but close enough.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    I'm 200 and the Arch EX hold up well for me. Just make sure you get the tension right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil bunny View Post
    Probably there's room between the Arch Ex and the Flow Ex for a "mid-weight" rim: 23mm inner width, 500g for the 29" version. Stan, you can call it the "Bunny Ex" :-D
    Have you considered the Pacenti TL28? Pretty much what you're looking for, but lighter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Judging by your comments it looks like I'll be happy with Arch Ex rims... but I actually didn't know the Pacenti TL28 at all... thank you Savo for the hint! I'll do some searching. Actually they're wider than Arch Ex and have the same width, so I don't know if they will be stronger...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    They will be a great wheel. I am every bit of 215lbs and ride fairly aggressive and they held up perfectly. I have a set of Flows on my SS and when I get the extra $ i am putting EX's on to replace them.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Depends how you ride. I built mine up in June and I have had to true the rear a couple time, and I will need to true it again on Monday.
    I ride/race XC but I like to descend really fast, hit jumps, drops, and blast tech sections. I even lower the saddle and ride the tame stuff in freeride areas.

Im 165 and its on a Vassago Bandersnatch with a Niner carbon fork.

My crests died in like 25 hours of race only riding (just fast trail up and through rough down) and my flows have lasted 2 years and needed truing once or so.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens