Newbie to Mountain Biking
    Aug 2012

New question here. Anyway to improve forks?

Hey guys I have SR SUNTOUR Cycling these forks. Is there any way to mod or improve them besides for replacing them?

Huckin' trails
    Hehe, nope.

Run them to the ground and buy something better.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Newbie to Mountain Biking
    Aug 2012
    Any inexpensive but worthy alternatives?

Huckin' trails
    Yes. Look at Rock Shox, Manitou and Marzocchi. Fox are more expensive since they don't offer any low-end models.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Used and take-off Rockshox Reba 2010-2012, Manitou Tower Pro, White Bros back to 05-6 air BW1.0, Magic or Loop.

Here's a Tower Pro review that has a video of a trail ride at fork level. This shows how a fork can work.
    Manitou Tower Pro Review - 29er fork test - YouTube
    Last edited by eb1888; 08-26-2012 at 10:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Base fork would be a Rockshox XC32
    RockShox 29er XC32 TK Coil 9QR Fork 2012 at Price Point

You can step up to lighter uppers and a Solo Air spring with the Recon Silver TK
    RockShox Recon Silver TK 29er Fork 2011 at Price Point

If you can afford it you can get a significantly better damper with the Manitou Tower Expert
    Manitou TOWER EXPERT 29 100MM BLACK
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    May 2011
    spend $15 on your front wheel and convert to 9mm solid axle.

Andrew
    I nabbed some 2011 Rockshox Recon Gold's off eBay for $270 (bnib) a few weeks ago. Been loving them since installation. Also upgraded to a FSA Oribital XL sealed headset. Fantastic combo.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiGS750EZ View Post
    Hey guys I have SR SUNTOUR Cycling these forks. Is there any way to mod or improve them besides for replacing them?
    Find a used Rockshox Reba in good shape. I've seen them down to $150 for good ones. I got a 'free' (I had to pay shipping) one form another MTBR'er with the intention of getting it rebuilt. The air spring leaked so the fork sagged down during the ride, and new O-Rings didn't fix it.

So, I converted it to U-Turn coil spring from a Pike/Revelation fork. $45 for the parts, and it is awesome. Mega plush, feels great.

It went on my Access29er frame I built up from parts bin/craigslist/swap meet parts. I probably have $300 in this bike total, and it is a blast to ride.

Boioioiooinnng!!

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Find a used Rockshox Reba in good shape. I've seen them down to $150 for good ones. I got a 'free' (I had to pay shipping) one form another MTBR'er with the intention of getting it rebuilt. The air spring leaked so the fork sagged down during the ride, and new O-Rings didn't fix it.

So, I converted it to U-Turn coil spring from a Pike/Revelation fork. $45 for the parts, and it is awesome. Mega plush, feels great.

It went on my Access29er frame I built up from parts bin/craigslist/swap meet parts. I probably have $300 in this bike total, and it is a blast to ride.

Boioioiooinnng!!

I rode one of these for years. They rock. I have a 2nd gen Reba Team and a Manitou Tower Expert on my bikes now. The Expert outperforms the Reba all day long. Coil forks are superior to air forks IMO.

YMMV. Good luck.