mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Anyone want to help me spend my money?

Hi all. I just started riding again this past winter and after a full season I am hooked again. Back in March I bought a Felt Nine Sport and I love the bike. I ride in the northeast and I have noticed my style is mainly all mountain. I like to pound through some rock gardens and love love some fast single track.

Anyway after learning and riding and reading and riding and riding I want to do some upgrades this winter.

Budget is around $1,500 for what I want to do. Any more and I should really just start looking at another bike (after I demo'd a 650b I really like those too).

I would like to replace the entry level RS XC28 fork and also upgrade to a new lighter wheelset. In addition I would like to switch to a CF riser handlbar and CF seatpost.

Next year I will probably replace the crank and front derailure but so far they are holding up pretty well. I removed the outer ring of the crank and replaced it with a bash guard due to the excessive rock gardens we deal with out here.

Any suggestions or reccomendations? Sorry for the newb question but there is just so much to chose from I am getting a bit overwhelmed.

Thanks
    12' Felt NINE Sport

turtles make me hot
    I'm great at this. (Spending other people's money.)

A set of Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs, Stan's Flow EX rims and a Rockshox Reba.

That was fun.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    BTW, you ever ride at Trumble? I hear it's awesome. I want to take a day trip.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    BTW, you ever ride at Trumble? I hear it's awesome. I want to take a day trip.
    I have not treked Trumble yet although I heard the same as you. I spend most of my time at Bluff Point. Basicaly spent all season there and I can say I am pretty good at all it has to offer for my riding style but i just keep breaking my bike. It's at the LBS as we speak

Thanks for the recomendation though. I will look into those parts asap.
    12' Felt NINE Sport

mtbr member
    Wiggle.cowiggle.com | Hope MTB Wheels | Cycle Gear

Hope hubs with Stans for $300.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    If I was you, I'd keep the money and invest it towards a new bike.

It appears that you are taking an entry level bike and attempting to make it better. Nothing wrong with that, but with a budget that arguably exceeds the original cost of the bike in question, I think you should hold off and just buy a new bike, when sufficient funds are available. Look to sell your old bike to help fund the new bike (when the time comes), or keep it as a spare/commuter/crappy weather bike, et al.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The problem with new bikes in the 1.5k+ range is the wheelset is still poor quality. Tires too. And you still need Easton EC70 bars and a post on the new one. Probably have to get some SLX brakes too.
    I got a Manitou Tower Pro fork(Reba is also good) and built some wheels with ArchEX rims and a Dt Swiss star ratchet rear hub(Hope's too loud) and ZTR front and Super Comp spokes. With fork, wheels, the bars and post your bike will be 27lbs and go where you point it. The next time you want to upgrade it will be frame only. Hongfu FM106 for 475 or Scott 910 for 1579.
    Last edited by eb1888; 09-14-2012 at 04:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Alternative - I think Jenson is clearing out EMD XL frames in red - could buy a frame, fork, and possibly wheels and swap the rest (if it's compatible) and if you take an XL frame

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I can see how someone can argue to buy a new bike or upgrade his current bike. I vote for upgrading his current bike because the parts people are recommending him will work on any bike. A new 1.5 or 2k bike will not have a hope hub and stans flow or arch ex wheelset, it will have a fox or reba fork (I hope), and he will still have money left over for a crank, new bars, or seatpost. Just use spacers above your stem so when you buy a new frame you can easily transfer your nice fork over to it. When you buy a new frame remember if your old frame has a tapered headtube or not. The new fad is a tapered headtube on 29ers. You want the new fork to work on your new frame someday.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Certifiably Crazy
    I had a Nine Sport. Miss the color. :-(. I would look into the Manitou Tower pro. It's on sale at Jenson for 329. I got it last week and love it.
    2011 Felt Z5
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    I wasn't intending to buy a new bike with $1,500, it was to buy a new bike when sufficient funds are available. I should have specified that IMO, $2,500 would be a sufficient fund stash to buy new.

banned

used

If you dont mind buying used. You can get a sweet HT in the 1200-1500$ range. Watch the auctions and classifieds. Great deals to be had if your patient and know what you want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thank you everyone for the great recomendations and not flaming the crap out of me. As a lot of you stated I am flirting with new bike territory and that is exactly my dilema. Really what I want is a 25-27lb AM bike that will handle whatever I throw at it. I am about 200lbs (give or take 5lbs depending on season) and I ride pretty rough. My Felt has plenty of battle wounds after only one season (alot of rock gardens). I love the Nine Sport and the frame seems legit that's why I want to mod it and have a great all purpose bike for a reasonable amount of money. Of course to get to 25-27lbs I have to spend $1,500++ so then there I am back lookig at new bikes

I would like to avoid "upgrading" to a $1,500 - $2,000 bike as I feel the improvemnets over what I already have would be marginal at best (please correct me if I'm wrong). Idealy a new bike in $2,500 - $3,000 range would be where I want but i cannot really swing that so now I'm back to modding the Nine Sport

I will look at used as well, that's a great idea.

I guess with all the crap going on in this world worrying about a new bicycle or to modify an existing bicycle is a pretty damn good problem to have. I'm sure either way I go I will be a happy camper next spring.
    12' Felt NINE Sport

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Adjustable seatpost and new chain. I'd throw some light rims and beefy tires on em for that NE damp weather.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickgears View Post
    Adjustable seatpost and new chain. I'd throw some light rims and beefy tires on em for that NE damp weather.
    Rims seem to be the most recomended upgrade as far as bang for the buck goes. I have no clue ho wmuch my stock wheels weigh but it would be nice to have something lighter on there.

Just put a new chain on it and shortend it 8 links because I dont run an outer ring on my badass Suntour Crank! lol

EDIT:

Just found these too. A bit pricey though.
    Easton Haven 29er Rear Wheel - Wheel World Bike Shops - Road Bikes, Mountain Bikes, Bicycle Parts and Accessories. Parts & Bike Closeouts!
    12' Felt NINE Sport

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Those rims are my next upgrade. I've already squashed my rear rim, not to mention I have the Haven mag. bar on already, its a sick upgrade, mechanc down at my shop already paid a compliment to them.

So, I'll probably throw 29-4 bontragers tubeless, XT cassete and Avid rotors, thinking about going 2x10 but It's just a thought. ..bought my Superfly w/ deore components and Avid 3s, that way anytime I wanna ride its either aggressive or or dry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Finally pulled the trigger on some some new mods. I scored a barely used 2011 Reba Race fork on Ebay for $235.00 and bought a set of Stans Arch EX with their 3.30 hubs. New cassette and chain too. Cannot wait to het everything in. My sport should feel like a new bike!

Just figured i would share.
    12' Felt NINE Sport

mtbr member
    Congratulations and enjoy!

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boatcop1 View Post
    Finally pulled the trigger on some some new mods. I scored a barely used 2011 Reba Race fork on Ebay for $235.00 and bought a set of Stans Arch EX with their 3.30 hubs. New cassette and chain too. Cannot wait to het everything in. My sport should feel like a new bike!

Just figured i would share.
    Post up pics when you're done!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Pics to follow. It may be next week before I get everything.

I have not seen a lot of modded Nine sports so figured I would go for it seeing that I love the frame and color.
    12' Felt NINE Sport

turtles make me hot
    How big are you? I'm curious how those hubs hold up.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    200lbs currently. Usually fluctuate between 190-205lbs
    12' Felt NINE Sport

turtles make me hot
    Oh... They'll probably be fine then.
    I'm currently 255.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Oh... They'll probably be fine then.
    I'm currently 255.
    Are you running the Arch EX flavor? If so how do you like?
    12' Felt NINE Sport

turtles make me hot
    No. Currently, I'm running Salsa Semi rims on the DT Swiss hubs that came on my bike. I just got a set of Hope Pro 2 hubs and I'll pick up Flow EXs next week and lace them all together.
    I built Arch Exs for my buddy who's about 80 pounds lighter than me.
    I like turtles