mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Anyone using BOCA ceramic bearings in their 29er

Sorry if this is not the right forum. Anyone using BOCA ceramic bearings in their 29er. Thinking about going with the BOCA or some Enduro. Would like to go BOCA just becasue you can buy them in mass quantity. Also, is it worth the extra $ to go full ceramic over the hybrid ceramic. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    post to get to 10

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Last edited by HarryBeaver; 09-17-2012 at 08:37 PM.

ballbuster
    Check the wheels and tires forum. FWIU, ceramics are kind of a waste of money. I would love to be proven wrong, but the gist is that they don't last any longer, and drag with an ABEC3 steel bearing is minimal anyway.

I know a guy who bought a Chris King ceramic BB and it only went like 500 miles before it got fouled and gritty, and it's not like he sprayed water in it or anything. point is, it wasn't any more dirt resistance (what really kills bearings) than steel bearings.

mtbr member
    Subscribed.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks pimpbot. That's the kind of feedback I was looking for. I did see the reviews for the sram ceramic BB and didn't look to hot. Might just settle on some hybrid enduros for $24 a peice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I would love to be proven wrong, but the gist is that they don't last any longer, and drag with an ABEC3 steel bearing is minimal anyway.
    You just go repped in the positive manner. Seems that Hadley hubs agrees with that statement. Called them and asked about ceramics. The steel are $10.50 each. The ceramics are $50 each. Hadley said the ceramics don't last any longer and once the steel break in, they will roll just about as good as ceramic. Got to hand it to Hadley for being an honest company. Could have easily steered me twards the $50 ceramics but they didn't. I can swap out all my steel bearings for less than the cost of 1 ceramic. Looks like I'll be staying with steel. Lots of props to Hadley.

mtbr member
    I work in the bearing industry and know quite a bit about them. Admittedly I do very little work with bicycles. My primary field is high tech industries;semiconductor, etc.
    Here are the facts as I preach to my customers; The market is flooded with Chinese full ceramic bearings and hybrids. The Chinese do not make high quality ceramic components. They might look the same as say a Japanese unit (eg; Koyo, NSK,etc..) but they are inferior. Mostly material purity issues and the technology they use to press the blanks.
    I'll venture to say 99% of the bearings that are being peddled by most US retailers are Chinese. All you have to do is ask the origin. If it doesn't have a brand and origin printed on it they are most certainly Chinese. Lots of counterfeits too but that's another topic.
    Bottom line is this; you are better off with a NAME BRAND all steel bearing such as a NSK, NTN, EZO, KOYO than a Chinese hybrid. No doubt at all. These Japanese brands ONLY make high quality bearings.
    Sure you can buy HIGH quality hybrid bearings (Japanese origin) that can and typically will out perform a high quality steel bearing in many application but they will cost.
    With all of the mis-information out there about "ceramic" bearings their cost, applicability and performance over all steel bearings has been inflated.
    Even when speaking of a high quality hybrid bearing they are not the "magic bullet" for all applications.
    Last edited by deano machineo; 09-19-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    Ride it like you stole it.