mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Anyone try these mag wheels???

Name:  Mag Wheel.jpg
Views: 2710
Size:  10.8 KB

I was wondering if anyone here has bought these rims before. They are on eBay going for $260, plus shipping. They are hollowed aluminum. I'm concerned about strengh as well as weight. The front rim is 3.75 pounds and the rear 4.19 pounds.

Any information that anyone can shere on these rims would be greatly appreciated.

This is my first post. I have a 2013 Marin Bobcat Trail and love to ride on trails.

Thanks,

Gabo2k

Interplanetary Poultry
    Wow, those are heavy. Just for reference, a set of Crank Brothers Iodine 29er wheels weighs less than that rear wheel.

If you're looking for a new wheelset for some reason but are on a budget, check some of the bike parts resellers on e-bay like "The Pros Closet", "Goodbyecycle", and several others. Bikewagon tends to have good deal on e-bay as well; and you can check sites like PricePoint and Blue Sky Cycles for closeouts.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I would stay away from those wheels!

transmitter~receiver
    Stay far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Gabo2k View Post
    Name:  Mag Wheel.jpg
Views: 2710
Size:  10.8 KB

I was wondering if anyone here has bought these rims before. They are on eBay going for $260, plus shipping. They are hollowed aluminum. I'm concerned about strengh as well as weight. The front rim is 3.75 pounds and the rear 4.19 pounds.

Any information that anyone can shere on these rims would be greatly appreciated.

This is my first post. I have a 2013 Marin Bobcat Trail and love to ride on trails.

Thanks,

Gabo2k
    I guess these rims are not a good idea. Any suggestions for a nice pair of mag wheels for under $500.00

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I guess these rims are not a good idea. Any suggestions for a nice pair of mag wheels for under $500.00

Thanks.
    Why do you want "mag" wheels?

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I see no magnesium in this thread....
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Why do you want "mag" wheels?

SPP

I'm tired of seeing spoked rims, they look so boring. That's why I want mag wheels.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    They look good...but you'll be slow and suffering on climbs with them. PASS...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Stay far away.
    This
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    "mag" wheels are the most idiotic thing you could possibly put on any bicycle. spoked wheels have been a mainstay in bicycle technology for decades because they work. I know they were very different, but I had Skyway mags on my first BMX bike. what a joke!

if you want to experience mag wheels, cut every other spoke out of your wheels and fill your tires with water instead of air, same effect.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm tired of seeing spoked rims, they look so boring. That's why I want mag wheels.
    Magnesium is a bad idea. Corrodes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    these are not magnesium wheels, the are mag wheels. that just means that they don't have spokes. and that they suck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    these are not magnesium wheels, the are mag wheels. that just means that they don't have spokes. and that they suck.
    Not too quick on the pick up, they are giving ridiculous answer to a ridiculous post.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Back in ancient times I did a lot of BMX jumping. My bike had Skyway wheels (5 "spoke" plastic "mags"). I kept breaking the frame. Then I switched to normal spoked wheels and the frame never broke again. The beauty of boring old spoked wheels is that they actually absorb some of the impact when you hit things. They are also a lot lighter than pretty much any "mag" wheel. So as cool as "mag" wheels look, there is a reason why almost nobody is riding them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Those things look horrible too. After a few stares and looks of horror, you will (as you should) be embarrassed to ride them.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    8lbs in wheels? Sounds great

At least they're tubeless, eh?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    Back in ancient times I did a lot of BMX jumping. My bike had Skyway wheels (5 "spoke" plastic "mags"). I kept breaking the frame. Then I switched to normal spoked wheels and the frame never broke again. The beauty of boring old spoked wheels is that they actually absorb some of the impact when you hit things. They are also a lot lighter than pretty much any "mag" wheel. So as cool as "mag" wheels look, there is a reason why almost nobody is riding them.
    Best answer in the thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Spinergy Rev X

Not recommending them, but they had 26" mountain bike wheels. You can get them for cheap on the online auction sites. The mountain bike ones are a bit more difficult to find than the road (700c) size.