Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Anyone tried Rocket Ron 2013 - side knob squirm present?

Hi all,

Has anyone tried the 2013 edition of the Rocket Ron in 2.25? Can you compare it to 2012 (older one). I like the volume and tread pattern on mid and transition knobs, but I always felt the outmost - side knobs are weak and squirmy. Apparently in marketing material Schwalbe said "added stronger side knobs for less squirm" so would like to check that with real people paying for their tires.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I rode both.

I found the new one to have less side knob squirm. However, I doubt it's because they made the knobs stronger. They made them less tall, which makes them much less prone to folding over.

The end result is the same though: Noticably more predictable on hard surfaces. The 2013 Ron is a bit less allround because of this though, as it reaches its limits a bit earlier in mud. Cannot have it all in one tire..

I had the same squirm problem as you with the old ones, but not riding them with too much air in them seemed to help a lot allready. I guess when the casing is allowed to deform more, the side knobs deform a bit less. If this is a buy new / keep riding old descision you are about to make, try that first.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks - appreciated. I tried pushing the PSI to 20-21, but then I have roll-off worries as the sidewalls are thin, so sticked to 23 PSI (running in front on 72kg).
    I am hoping that new 2013 version with snakeskin sidewalls would aid in letting me drag the pressure a bit down. Did you try the snakeskin or regular sidewalls?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Regular. The snakeskin version was not available at the time. Schwalbe had not even added it to their website yet. I tested one of the first sets available for consumers for a Dutch online mag.

It goes to show that tire pressure/feel is quite personal. The old ones worked well for me at 20-21 psi, on 21 inner width rims. With the new version, I seemed to be able to get away with even less pressure, because of the way the altered side knobs supported the tire when cornering.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Re: Anyone tried Rocket Ron 2013 - side knob squirm present?

Subscribed. I have some on the way!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    SS is supposed to be available end of the month at bike-direct.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm running the snakeskin version right now and love it as a front tire. I've had it for almost a month now. I actually replaced my NoNo front for the RORo. Was a little skeptical at first but it's my new favorite front. Only thing that bugs me is that the 2.25 RoRo is not as wide as my 2.25 RaRa rear. Its only a couple mm difference tho but haven't noticed anything negative. I'm just so used to running a wider front.

Did the 2012 model come in a snakeskin version? I'm wondering if mine is the older model since guys are saying the tire isn't available yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you are running a 29er version, it is a 2013 model - AFAIK the older ones did not come in snakeskin.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    Only thing that bugs me is that the 2.25 RoRo is not as wide as my 2.25 RaRa rear.
    Could you please measure the casing width on both?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I basically measured at its widest point from sidewall to sidewall...using a ghetto micrometer...which is why I gave an appproximate width. Both tires are the newest versions to date.

RaRa 2.25 Evo Snakeskin - approx 58-60mm wide
    Rocket Ron 2.25 Evo Snakeskin - approx 55-56mm

The rocket ron is somewhat new...its been aired up for a month but only a handful of rides on it so far. It definitely stretched a little wider when brand new. The racing ralph has some decent mileage on it and well worn. Its a very good front/rear combo for a wide range of conditions.

Fast very rolling on the hard pack. And even Sheds mud surprisingly well, better then my previous nobby nic. It kinda reminds me of an old favorite, the ignitor. but rolls much faster, lighter, and good sidewall protection (ss)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Im running the 2013 up front and have experienced no squirm. I'm running rigid at around 19 PSI. Hell of a tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ryanhugh - what rim (width) are you using? Is it snakeskin or regular?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    RaRa 2.25 Evo Snakeskin - approx 58-60mm wide
    Rocket Ron 2.25 Evo Snakeskin - approx 55-56mm
    Thanks!

Helmetless Crasher
    Are the '13's indeed easier/quicker to set-up tubeless?
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Goran_injo View Post
    ryanhugh - what rim (width) are you using? Is it snakeskin or regular?
    I'm running it on a Arch EX and am just running the regular version. Came in at 498 grams on my scale. I've become pretty efficient at patching tubeless tires, so I take my chances with the lighter non SS versions since I haven't cut one I haven't been able to fix. I run a ralph in the back non SS as well. Definitely a great combo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    Mine went on 1st try. A little soapy water on the bead and was also able to get it on a arch ex without a tire lever. It set up on the first try.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ryanhugh View Post
    Mine went on 1st try. A little soapy water on the bead and was also able to get it on a arch ex without a tire lever. It set up on the first try.
    +1.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    I got one above 500 grams that sealed right away and one below 500 grams that kept developing pinholes. Makes sense; less rubber = harder to seal.

What's more important: Schwalbe made pre 2013 models with bead diameters at the minimal side of tolerances... This was a recipe for trouble in combination with Notubes rims that were designed with large bead seat diameters with the same goal: To aid tubeless installation... Schwalbe tire beads could not cope with the strain, hence the number of Schwalbe/Notubes blowoff forum posts.

Schwalbe has corrected this now, which is a good thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JeroenK View Post
    I
    What's more important: Schwalbe made pre 2013 models with bead diameters at the minimal side of tolerances... This was a recipe for trouble in combination with Notubes rims that were designed with large bead seat diameters with the same goal: To aid tubeless installation... Schwalbe tire beads could not cope with the strain, hence the number of Schwalbe/Notubes blowoff forum posts.

Schwalbe has corrected this now, which is a good thing.
    How does this reflect on the UST rims? I don't want this tire if it will roll-off my UST rims.

mtbr member
    Got the 2013 29x2.1s. Great race tire in dirt and roots. Couldn't really ask for more, it's fast, great grip, and super-light, win-win-win.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Goran_injo View Post
    How does this reflect on the UST rims? I don't want this tire if it will roll-off my UST rims.
    I tried to install the 2.25 SS version last night on my Enve XC UST wheels and couldn't not get them to seat, even with a air compressor. I had doubts when putting them on since the bead seemed loose. I guess I will have to add another strip of rim tape and give it another go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Try to wrap a tie down strap around the length of the tire to hold it tighter to the rim. Then hit it with the compressor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I think I'll try another strip of tape first, since my Enve AM rims requires two passes as well. If that doesn't work I'll try the tie down strap method.

Boracay Island
    Apr 2013
    (29 x 2.25)
    I find the side knobs same as last year (still awesome), not much difference. Grip wise, the 2013 is better than the 2012. You'll need a lower PSI for the 2012 to achieve the grip of the 2013.

The side walls are still the same thin one but it doesn't really matter for me, I haven't been in a situation that my tires sidewall can get compromised.
    Let's Ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Nice to see a discussion of the 29er RoRo Snakeskin. I got a pair shipped from a dealer when I ordered RaRa's. Still getting the RaRa's, but am offered a very good deal on the RoRo's versus him having to pay to have them shipped back. So I'm seriously considering giving them a whirl in the front with the RaRa in back. TLR version on Blunt SL's

I like what you're saying about the handling characteristics of the new version. Sounds like my kind of front. My biggest reservation is the protection/reliability of the previous version of RoRo. Too many decent front tires to ride one that I can't count on because of a weight compromise. I'm getting the impression that the SS version makes all the difference there.

The only thing I can offer at this point is that of the 2 RoRo TLR Snakeskins I got, one was 6g under and one 10g over the 605g on the box.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast