Crash Dummy In Training

Anyone running 28 hole hub's on LB Carbon hoop's ?

I did a search with limited result's.
    Is anyone running 29er 28 hole hub's on Light Bicycle Carbon hoop's ?
    How are they holding up ?
    How do you like the ride ?
    I'm 185 to 190 ride pretty smooth XC.
    Thinking of using DT comp spoke's with brass nipple's.
    TIA
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i'm waiting for 28 and 24 hole rims to arrive. their going on my gravel grinder but may do double duty on my 29er. if i don't sell it.
    nothing really special abut 4 less spokes. i do have 32 hole 27.5 lb rims maybe the 28 hole will ride different?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yes, I custom built the 29er LB Carbon All mountain wider rim on CK hubs with Sapim CX-Ray spokes and DT aluminum nipples. It is/was an awesome wheelset. They ride great, stiff, light and durable. I just sold them, though very reluctantly, because I am now using XX1 and CK hubs are not yet compatible, and they don't look to be doing anything with that for another year. All my contact with CK and everything I've read on the forums seems to be that they are not jumping at this conversion. I used them on my Specialized SS bike (Carve and Carbon Stumpy SS) and my Specialized Stumpy geared HT. I weigh 170 no gear and I was not afraid to anything with those wheels including 2-3 ft drops to flat, jumps with transitions and rock gardens galore, because I live in NE where the rocks are plentiful. Build them, you won't be disappointed. I never had to true them after a quality build, even with the stated riding conditions.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    i'm waiting for 28 and 24 hole rims to arrive. their going on my gravel grinder but may do double duty on my 29er. if i don't sell it.
    nothing really special abut 4 less spokes. i do have 32 hole 27.5 lb rims maybe the 28 hole will ride different?
    My friend I ride with is around 170 pound's he ride's really smooth and he has been running 28 hole for about a year IIRC and has had no problem's he think's I won't either.
    I asked if they felt weaker than his old 32 hole but he can't remember since it's been awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    Yes, I custom built the 29er LB Carbon All mountain wider rim on CK hubs with Sapim CX-Ray spokes and DT aluminum nipples. It is/was an awesome wheelset. They ride great, stiff, light and durable. I just sold them, though very reluctantly, because I am now using XX1 and CK hubs are not yet compatible, and they don't look to be doing anything with that for another year. All my contact with CK and everything I've read on the forums seems to be that they are not jumping at this conversion. I used them on my Specialized SS bike (Carve and Carbon Stumpy SS) and my Specialized Stumpy geared HT. I weigh 170 no gear and I was not afraid to anything with those wheels including 2-3 ft drops to flat, jumps with transitions and rock gardens galore, because I live in NE where the rocks are plentiful. Build them, you won't be disappointed. I never had to true them after a quality build, even with the stated riding conditions.
    Good to hear and like I said I weigh around 185 to 190 so I was wondering if heavier people road them.

Thank you both for your input.
    I look forward to getting them built and ride them awhile.
    I'm positive I will be happy with them since I'm using carbon hoop's if they were going to Aluminum hoop's I would most likely be worried.
    Only reason I went 28 hole is because it saved me around $200 on a new set. Originally I was going to go with Industry Nine Torch but at this price I couldn't pass on the Chris King's which was my second choice.
    As for spoke's I was telling my buddy today at work I was thinking of going Sapim X Ray's his comment was they cost three time's more money.
    My answer back was from what I've read they are a lot stronger I will read more on them.
    ​​

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am 175ish and built up a set about a year ago with 240 hubs, cx-rays and aluminum nips. No problems, holding up great. I ride pretty smooth but definitely don't baby them. Actually cracked the sidewall on the rear, cant run tubeless anymore but fine with a tube. Didn't have to true the wheel and haven't touched either one.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AKamp View Post
    I am 175ish and built up a set about a year ago with 240 hubs, cx-rays and aluminum nips. No problems, holding up great. I ride pretty smooth but definitely don't baby them. Actually cracked the sidewall on the rear, cant run tubeless anymore but fine with a tube. Didn't have to true the wheel and haven't touched either one.
    How bad is the crack ?
    Have you thought about trying to repair the crack with maybe super glue on the inside of the hoop ?
    ​​

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anyone running 28 hole hub's on LB Carbon hoop's ?

Crack isn't too bad, just enough that it won't seal. I have been riding it for 4 or 5 months off and on but in reality I like my other bike a little better so it gets most of my love. The other bike has crests on it, no comparison to the LB's. Perhaps I should swap wheels.