mtbr member

Anyone run Xpedo Baldwin pedals?

http://www.xpedo.com/products/pedals/mtb/140/baldwin

They certainly look sexy, and the weight is great for the price (the steel axle version can be had for $65 on eBay). Any real world feedback? Anyone know if these are rebuildable?

Here's a favorable review: Team Tested: Xpedo Baldwin Clipless Pedal | Enduro Mountainbike Magazine

However, this reviewer had issues with shoe clearance: Xpedo Baldwin Clipless Pedal - Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Mountain Bike Clipless Pedals - Vital MTB

That concern is the only reason I haven't ordered a set, as I wear 48s. However, my Turbine cranks are low profile, so it might not be an issue. If you've tried these pedals, can you comment on shoe clearance?

Thanks! (I know, not 29er related, but these would go on my Honzo...)

cowbell
    I have not run the Baldwins. I have (do) run the MF4 and the Spry. Every time a What Pedal? thread pops up, I tell people about Xpedo pedals because they seem to break the rules. Light, inexpensive, and high quality. Typically, you only get to pick 2 of the three, but in this instance, in my experience, you can actually have it all. And no, I'm not affiliated with Xpedo, I don't sell them, I get nothing for saying any of this. I just have a big mouth and like to tell people about good stuff when I find it.

mtbr member
    I have a pair of Baldwins. They are excellent pedals. I really like them. I haven't torn them apart yet.

My only complaint is like others have said, the axles are a little shorter than other pedals, so there is less clearance. I have 44-45 size feet. All of my XC shoes have plenty of clearance. My shimano MT43 (more hiking walking friendly) shoes are pretty close to the crank. They still work and do not rub ( I could get more clearance if I adjusted the cleat).

I have added one extra pedal washer with no issue, but would not add any more. I have ridden them pretty hard (Gold Creek Dungeoness, Wa, Alpine trail, Oakridge OR, Cannell Trail, Kernville CA, Palm Canyon Epic, Palm Springs CA, Noble Canyon, Pine Valley CA, etc. etc.).

Unfortunately if you have large/wide shoes and/or run biking shoes with large rubber soles, you might run into problems.

Handmade in Switzerland
    I have a pair too. Tried first with Shimano SPD shoe cleats because I have Shimano SPD pedals on the other bike. Bad idea! The Shimano SPD Cleats do not match with the Baldwins. So I changed the SPD cleats to Baldwin cleats. This one works great with the Baldwin pedals but not with the Shimano pedals! Hmmmmmm...

I switched from Crank Brothers and I thought all of this SPD-like pedals are compatible but this is wrong. My fault...

Also the Baldwins have very sharp edges. This is a little bit dangerous when slipping from the pedal or when walking with the bike.

Even though they are lighter, I would not buy the Baldwins anymore.

Just my 5 cents

Regards
    mat

Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    I have a pair. I liked them at first and then stopped using them.

Main reason: They developed sharp edges that ended up slashing my legs. At first it was a little annoying, and then I got a pretty deep cut and that was that.

The other thing I didn't like about them was the fact that the cleats weren't compatible with anything else. My Ritchey pedals have cleats that are compatible with Shimano and Ritchey "SPD" pedals. The Xpedo cleats weren't compatible with anything. I don't like the idea of having a dedicated pair of shoes for one bike, and I didn't like the blood.

They were very light though....

I like this place

mtbr member
    my baldwins work with wellgo 98a cleats which work with all my shimano and wellgo pedals. All my shoes have 98a cleats.

cowbell
    Interesting. It looks like the Baldwin cleats are the same as the MF4 cleats. I've got several sets of Shimano pedals, so I kept a relatively new set of shimano cleats on my shoes, and they work fine with the MF4.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the feedback! While we're at it, anyone try the VP VX Trail pedals yet?

STS
    mtbr member
    I rescue this post to advice any interested in xpedo pedals
    This is what I found after the third ride with the expensive Baldwin titanium pedals:

Anyone run Xpedo Baldwin pedals?-img_6551_resize.jpg

They have NO correct customer service.
    3 months ago I sent them the picture the defect of my Baldwin titanium pedals, with part of the mechanism loosed in the third ride.
    I tried to solve it with the customer service, sent the legal invoice, and actually they dont answer to my emails or facebook messages.
    So please don't buy their products, or you will have to eat them if you have any problem.