Mtn Biker
    Aug 2012

Anyone ride a Wolf Tooth chain ring?

So I really, really want to swap out my Sram X-O, 2x10 for a 1x10. The problem is the Sram X-O is a 120 BCD, 39 tooth. Wolftooth only makes a 120 BCD, 36 tooth. I hesitate to switch down to a 36 tooth. Would it be a huge difference? Does anyone else make a 120 BCD, 38 or 39 tooth? I don't believe Raceface makes one? Maybe my only choice is to change cranks? That's a lot more $$$. Any advice would be greatly appreciated?
    wolftoothcomponents.com, super cool stuff. No chain-guide needed

mtbr member

Re: Anyone ride a Wolf Tooth chain ring?

Are you running big ring and small cogs that much? The 36 should be fine.
    Scott Genius 910 tricked out as much as I could without getting a divorce

Mtn Biker
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by weaverwins View Post
    Are you running big ring and small cogs that much? The 36 should be fine.
    To be honest I was wanting to switch to a 40 tooth if anything? If they made a 38 I would be good with that. I tend to have a slow cadence and ride the small cogs most of the time. So, you don't believe the 36 to be that much of a difference?

mtbr member

Use a gear calculator? Sheldon brown or android/iPhone app etc to see what you'd be giving up. I dont know your terrain etc. In Austin a bunch of friends run 32 or 34 1x10 setups. Some 29er guys run 30t up front and I personally run a 28 11-36. But our terrain is very "crawling" for the most part and technical.

If you're running 39 a lot with the smallest cogs then maybe a 36 would give up too much. Seems like and awful lot of gear though....

Myself and other 1x10ers are running plain ole single rings up front with an xc guide (mrp for me). I'd love to run narrow/wide but they don't make one in spiderless 28 (so I'm running my mrp bling ring spiderless on SRAM cranks).

All comes down to what gears you're willing to give up. I guess its hard for me to imagine you're pushing a 39x11 or 12 a bunch

Mtn Biker
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by weaverwins View Post
    Use a gear calculator? Sheldon brown or android/iPhone app etc to see what you'd be giving up. I dont know your terrain etc. In Austin a bunch of friends run 32 or 34 1x10 setups. Some 29er guys run 30t up front and I personally run a 28 11-36. But our terrain is very "crawling" for the most part and technical.

If you're running 39 a lot with the smallest cogs then maybe a 36 would give up too much. Seems like and awful lot of gear though....

Myself and other 1x10ers are running plain ole single rings up front with an xc guide (mrp for me). I'd love to run narrow/wide but they don't make one in spiderless 28 (so I'm running my mrp bling ring spiderless on SRAM cranks).

All comes down to what gears you're willing to give up. I guess its hard for me to imagine you're pushing a 39x11 or 12 a bunch
    Yeah, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to say that I'm some amazingly strong rider. I do ok, but here in Michigan I'm good to go on the 39. I really like the clean look without the chain guide. I appreciate the advice, I checked out the gear calculator. If I used correctly, the diff between a 39-11 and a 36-11 equals about 1 MPH. Seems like hardly a difference. (BTW, I fully believe it is quite flat here compared to other parts of the country).

Thanks again

mtbr member

Yea I had to make sure I wasnt in the roadie forum!

Do what works for you!

mtbr member
    Running a Wolf Tooth..love it.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I think ive seen a person or two using a wolftooth ring before.... WolfTooth Components Thread
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I was running Sram's 2x cranks with 26-39t chainrings when I got a 36t MRP Bling Ring. I have a 11-36t cassette and I only used 39x36t when riding really groomed flowy tracks and on fire roads. And still, riding those same trails with 36x36t, there isn't much of a difference now. Sure, I know where the difference affects the feel of the trails. But after being on the 39t for a year and the 36t for seven months, I'd say most people wouldn't mind. Unless you're really about XC, I wouldn't worry about it. If you really like the feel and can't live without it, then keep hunting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Get a 104 bcd spider for the crank and go with the 38 tooth ring. Or wait a few more months and see what sizes of rings they offer. I heard a rumor they are offering them for CX bikes. That might get closer to the tooth count you want.

mtbr member

Anyone ride a Wolf Tooth chain ring?

Any reason you're not considering their direct mount ring for your X0 setup?

Edit:re-read your post. Usually, when someone goes from 2x to 1x, they choose a ring somewhere in between their small and big rings. I went from 26/38 to a 32 ring, and like it very much.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

Mtn Biker
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    I was running Sram's 2x cranks with 26-39t chainrings when I got a 36t MRP Bling Ring. I have a 11-36t cassette and I only used 39x36t when riding really groomed flowy tracks and on fire roads. And still, riding those same trails with 36x36t, there isn't much of a difference now. Sure, I know where the difference affects the feel of the trails. But after being on the 39t for a year and the 36t for seven months, I'd say most people wouldn't mind. Unless you're really about XC, I wouldn't worry about it. If you really like the feel and can't live without it, then keep hunting.
    I think I will order up the 36 tooth!