mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Anyone know much about the new Bontrager 29-3 tires I see on 2013 models?

I see em on the new stache and fuel ex models for 2013. They look like a slightly less burly version of the newest 29-4. I need a new rear tire soon, and it looks like it would be a nice match for my 29-4 I have on my X-cal. They aren't on Bontrager's website and I can't find any info on the web about them.....would like to know widths offered and weights.
    Thanks, Kevin

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Looks aren't everything

Work in a Trek shop, and just put together a bike today with these on them. On test ride, they seemed very average. Much like an blown up version of the small block eight. See them being good for dry, hardpack but for wet or rooty, the large spaces could become no zones of contact.

Apologize for no hard data, just relaying what was in my hands. The weight was very middle of the road as well. Shop around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsand View Post
    Work in a Trek shop, and just put together a bike today with these on them. On test ride, they seemed very average. Much like an blown up version of the small block eight. See them being good for dry, hardpack but for wet or rooty, the large spaces could become no zones of contact.

Apologize for no hard data, just relaying what was in my hands. The weight was very middle of the road as well. Shop around.
    That's too bad. The current 29-3 is the worst tire I've ever owned, and I've owned a few. I was hoping Bonty was finally stepping up there game.......guess not.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    thanks for the replies.....ended up buying a maxis ignitor standard non exo and took it out on the first ride tonight......was very good...Have it on the rear. Excellent traction and confidence inspiring in corners......I think i'll try another out on the front soon. Yeah saw the new 29-2 bontrager in my local shop on a bike....it looked ok but not great as said before