mtbr member

Anyone have info on WTB SX23 wheelsets?

Trying to get any info on my Mahuna's wheels. I can't find anything on WTB's site, or anywhere else for that matter. OEM build?

I mostly just want to be aware of the strengths and weaknesses of the components… and see how long I should wait until I give in to a set of Flow EXs. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I imagine they are 1mm narrower than these

WTB » Products – Wheels – Rims – XC – SX24
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    My Diamondback came with those rims also. Mine have proven to be quite round . Seriously, like most of the OE on this bike, the rims seem good and durable, but not the lightest. They have held up to any drop to which I have subjected them.

It's funny, because I am also thinking of replacing my wheels with a Flow wheelset. Until then, I'm sure the SX23's will be fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Anyone have info on WTB SX23 wheelsets?

I have those on my RM Altitude 29. Light, strong, cheap pick 2. Any how Stan's Flow is on my list as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dbraxis View Post
    I have those on my RM Altitude 29. Light, strong, cheap pick 2. Any how Stan's Flow is on my list as well.
    So which two do the SX23 adhere to?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Anyone converted these tubeless as yet? Recommend a specific stans kit? 650b

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    ^Bump that. Anyone made the SX23 tubeless? What did you have success (or struggle) with?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've done mine with the Joes kit. Super easy and not even a bubble around the bead. Maxxis Icons. Did them 5 months ago and have had no issues.

Dianetics Junior
    I ran them with Stan's and gorilla tape for a year, no issues...ardents, saguaros, bronsons no trouble at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    It took me two layers of stans tape and a compressor with the valve core removed to get these to seal tubeless. Never managed to get them to work with my Maxxis Ikons, but I didn't try very hard. I now have Forte Pisgahs, and I got them to mount fairly easy. I had to fill the tire with the valve core removed, plug the valve with my finger, then jam the valve in there. Once I got the valve threaded in, I had plenty of air left and bounced the wheels until it all sealed up.

I do believe these are very heavy though, and I have a set of ENVE AM wheels on the way

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks, ya'll.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by bikethenbeer View Post
    So which two do the SX23 adhere to?

Cheap... and that's about it.

OTOH, I wouldn't worry about it much unless they feel noodely under you.

Heh... Light Cheap Strong. You can actually have all three, ya know. That was coined by Keith Bontrager who's biz was being undercut by cheap Asian imports that were actually pretty dang good. When I buy aluminum rims these days, I get Sun Inferno 23s. They are almost as cheap as the cheapest rims, but hold up as well as Stan's rims and weigh the same for half the price.

If you do bend one of your WTB SX23s, I suggest replacing them with Sun Infernos. You'll drop 30g a wheel and have a stiffer wheel.

I'm surprised folks can run them tubeless. The SX23 is a pinned rim, not welded. There is no seal at the rim seam. At least Infernos are welded at the seam.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    Thanks, ya'll.
    I said two layers of stans tape, but that should read gorilla tape. My bad. I wonder if stans tape would work, as it would be considerably lighter than two wraps of Gorilla tape (I have heard GT is 40g per 29 inch wrap??? That seems insane.).