Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anyone have any experience or comments/concerns about this Sette frame?

Here's a link to the frame in question:

Sette Razzo SC 29er Carbon Hardtail Frame - Gloss Black w/ Tungsten Silver | Sette | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

Anyone have any thoughts, concerns, comments or first hand experience with this frame?

I ride trails on a Karakoram 2.0 L size frame, but with a 120mm fork, and I'm wondering how similar/dissimilar this would ride.

Edit: Updated to include correct link to 29" frame
    Last edited by peteer01; 12-05-2013 at 11:47 AM.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post
    Here's a link to the frame in question:

Sette Serum Elite Carbon Hardtail Frame | Sette | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

Anyone have any thoughts, concerns, comments or first hand experience with this frame?

I ride trails on a Karakoram 2.0 L size frame, but with a 120mm fork, and I'm wondering how similar/dissimilar this would ride.
    Whoa! That looks like an amazing deal. I was just thinking last night while riding my Salsa Mamasita, that it doesn't really 'sing' to me on the trail, and maybe it was time to look at one of the cheap Chinese HongFu frames. This looks like the same frame, pretty much (it's probably an OEM chinese carbon frame) but for the same price you have a US company backing it up with a warranty.

... although, it has a regular English BB. I was hoping for a BB30 so I could install a Beer Components EBB shell to use it singlespeed if needed.

... and I'm between sizes. The 19" frame has a 23 3/4" and the 21" frame is 24 3/4". I need 24"-24.5". I have a 24.75" frame, and it's a stretch even with a shorter stem.

AZ
    banned
    Price Point is killing off the Sette frame line, make sure you have a complete understanding of how they will handle any warranty issues.

transmitter~receiver
    Um... it's 26"?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Um... it's 26"?
    Heh... it is? It actually doesn't say. But if it is, no wonder they're blowing them out so cheap. Who buys Large or XL hardtail cross country 26er frames anymore? I mean, I can see Dual Slalom or dirt jumpers, but XC?

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Heh... it is? It actually doesn't say.
    I can tell by looking at it, but if you click the "tech" link to the left it shows you the built bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Um... it's 26"?
    Sorry for the error. This is the 29er frame I had originally been pointed to, and the link I meant to use:

Sette Razzo SC 29er Carbon Hardtail Frame - Gloss Black w/ Tungsten Silver | Sette | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

mtbr member
    I don't see how you could go wrong with that for such a low price.

+1 on the threaded BB!
    2014 Tallboy 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post
    Price Point is killing off the Sette frame line, make sure you have a complete understanding of how they will handle any warranty issues.
    Great info, than, you.

Does anyone have any additional information confirming that the Sette line is being killed off and what Price Point will be doing from a warranty standpoint?

turtles make me hot
    Just like AZ said, There will be no more Sette frames. If you break it, what will they be willing to do for you?
    I like turtles

Fat-tired Roadie
    Steep head angle. Tight tire clearance too.

I'm of two minds about frame upgrades. On the one hand, I think they tend to do less than making a few choice component swaps. On the other hand, I think builds often don't migrate as well as people want them to, so if you want to replace everything, the frame's a good place to start.

What kind of riding do you do?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Crash Dummy In Training
    I wouldn't wait to long they only have one left.
    Not a bad deal...... but with no warranty it's a gamble.
    And I don't know where they came up with the $2,000 MSRP Since on Sette's site it's $800 ?
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Steep head angle. Tight tire clearance too.

I'm of two minds about frame upgrades. On the one hand, I think they tend to do less than making a few choice component swaps. On the other hand, I think builds often don't migrate as well as people want them to, so if you want to replace everything, the frame's a good place to start.

What kind of riding do you do?
    I do trail riding in upstate NY, and, starting next year, some longer day trips to VT. (also turning stock wheels into road wheels for weekdays)

My current bike is also set up for a 100mm fork, but I put the 120mm fork on it, and I actually like the change in the head angle.

I do not think I am going to replace the frame any time soon...but I do very much like the idea of continuing to learn about bikes by building things out myself, and at this point, I have the tools and confidence to attempt a move to a new frame if I came across a deal I couldn't resist.

Basically, I'm trying to learn and plan for the future, and haven't written off buying a much nicer bike in a few years if my interest, level of use, finances and skill all justify it. Nor have I written off buying key upgrades as I see them on sale, which doesn't just improve what I'm riding, but teaches me about bike maintenance and the difference a specific upgrade actually makes. And what will likely happen, at least for the immediate future, is that I'll stay pat for the time being until something brakes, and then upgrade that. (There is a 3x9 X9 Drive Kit I have on my 26er that I liked so much I'd buy that when I see a similar sale, which will hopefully be right around the time I've put enough wear on my cassette and chain to justify the upgrade. :-) )

TL;DR: Primarily trail riding in NY, mostly just thinking about the future and pinging you guys for your input as you're a great source of knowledge and helping me grow and plan well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sette bikes come with a 5 year warranty. I paid $850 shipped for the same frame a couple of years ago. The bike built up great and worked great. Plenty of clearance in the rear for most any XC/Trail type tire including the Maxxis Ardent 2.2. Not tight clearance at all unless you wanted to run 2.4 or something, but why would you on a XC racing hardtail? It is not a free ride bike. And to top it off, Pricepoint has a 90 day returns policy if you wanted to return it for a full refund if you didn't like it. Don't know how anyone sees, "no warranty". Now, how PP handles an out of production frame, who knows. But they have to honor the 5 year warranty somehow with a replacement or a credit.

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    Don't know how anyone sees, "no warranty". Now, how PP handles an out of production frame, who knows. But they have to honor the 5 year warranty somehow with a replacement or a credit.
    What they mean is that typical warranties, like this one, are "repair or replace" and since you can't replace and repair is highly unlikely, what is the option. What makes you so sure about "have to" do it the way you think?
    They could take a calculated risk and tell you to pound sand and realistically probably see no side effects. There goes "have to."

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    PricePoint is a legitimate company that has been in business for a long time. Here is their warranty policy, "At Price Point, we want you to shop with confidence. Price Point honors any manufacturer warranty on items we sell. And here is Sette's warranty, " We at Sette stand behind the quality on all our products. Sette frames are backed with a five year warranty against manufacturing defects."

Using your shortsighted reasoning, any manufacturer could tell you to pound sand at anytime.

transmitter~receiver

PricePoint is a legitimate company that has been in business for a long time. Here is their warranty policy, "At Price Point, we want you to shop with confidence. Price Point honors any manufacturer warranty on items we sell. And here is Sette's warranty, " We at Sette stand behind the quality on all our products. Sette frames are backed with a five year warranty against manufacturing defects."
    So what do you think the remedy would be for a frame that is no longer available?
    That's the point I think.
    Personally I don't think a warranty issue is even that likely and the big discount on the price should be somewhat of a protection against one anyway.

Using your shortsighted reasoning, any manufacturer could tell you to pound sand at anytime.
    Using your naive reasoning nobody should have ever had a customer service issue or gotten hosed on a warranty claim. Oh wait... but they have. What say ye, Peter Pan?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I say instead of coming up with a bunch of foolish scenarios and opinions a person does their homework by picking up the phone and inquiring at the source, Pricepoint. If a warranty were to occur for a discontinued item, Pricepoint will credit the purchase price of the warrantied item back to the customer. Sounds like a pretty good remedy/warranty to me. If I was in the market for another bone jarring hardtail I would be all over this.

I guess if this is not good enough, or if anyone still has any doubts then Niner has a proven warranty/track record and for FOUR (4) times as much you will more than likely get one of their Carbon RDO frames warrantied.

transmitter~receiver

I say instead of coming up with a bunch of foolish scenarios and opinions a person does their homework by picking up the phone and inquiring at the source, Pricepoint. If a warranty were to occur for a discontinued item, Pricepoint will credit the purchase price of the warrantied item back to the customer. Sounds like a pretty good remedy/warranty to me. If I was in the market for another bone jarring hardtail I would be all over this.
    Not a bad point. It would have been much more productive to lead with that rather than whining about how PP gets no love and generally talking about what they "have to do." Gimme a break.
    Bringing up warranty concerns on a discontinued frame is also not a bad point. What's the problem? We all know you love your Sette from Pricepoint. The warranty is a legitimate question and only one person as far as I can tell said "no warranty."
    I guess if this is not good enough, or if anyone still has any doubts then Niner has a proven warranty/track record and for FOUR (4) times as much you will more than likely get one of their Carbon RDO frames warrantied.
    WTF?!?
    Who brought up Niner?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I was just trying to help the original poster out after he asked the question, "Anyone have any thoughts, concerns, comments or first hand experience with this frame?"

Thus far I am the only person that has owned this frame and can attest to everything I have said and backed it up with proof and helpful suggestions.

What is not helpful to anyone is for someone who thinks they know it all (and clearly don't) and is trying to start **** through asinine, unfounded, condescending comments.

transmitter~receiver

What is not helpful to anyone is for someone who thinks they know it all (and clearly don't) and is trying to start **** through asinine, unfounded, condescending comments.
    Sorry I hurt your feelings.
    HTFU, especially if you're going to start **** with accusations like "shortsighted reasoning."

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sounds to me like your feelings were hurt due to your repeated stupid comments. I guess with 7,371 posts what more could be expected.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have to wonder if theyre simply killing off Sette Bikes altogether.. a WHOIS on settebikes.com reveals the administrative contact is tony@ pricepoint.com

and if pricepoint isnt going to carry them anymore, I cant imagine theyll still be in business to honor a warranty..
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

ballbuster
    Sorry for the error. This is the 29er frame I had originally been pointed to, and the link I meant to use:

That's more like it! $500 for a sub three pound carbon frame with a warranty is a really good deal. The 19" size is even good for my freakishly long arms with a 24" eTT.

Too bad it doesn't have a BB30, tho.

I'm sure they'll honor the warranty, even if they don't have stock on them. Any decent retailer would just give you a store credit for what you paid for it.

ballbuster

... and hey, those Niner frames are only 4 times the price, too. If these frames had 100% failure rate, that would work out nicely.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast