Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Anyone had problems with the WBT Nano TCS?

I have a customer who cannot get these tires to mount properly - they require an amazing amount of work to mount, and then the bead seems to be so tight that it won't pop into place properly. This is on a Stan's rim, but it's so tight I can't really imagine the tire fitting well on any 29" rim.

Has anyone used these successfully? WTB claimed that the Stan's rims aren't compatible with their TCS tires and refused to take them back, which seems odd to me, since I've mounted lots of tubeless ready/UST/etc tires on their rims for years without problems.

Thanks!

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Are they using the new Stan's rims with the BST? Stan's has a little thing hiden in the help section saying not to use TCS tires with there new rims. Recommended Tires

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have these tires on WTB rims and they work great, though that shouldn't be a surprise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    They are very tight beads. I had the same problem with Bontrager TLR rims and strips. I spoke with someone from stans and they did not recommend these tires. The non-TCS tires work well.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Thanks guys!

I really appreciate it, folks. Sounds like we need some different tires!

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Cassoulet forever !
    i think NoTubes rims might need a redesign, as a lot of manufacturer of tires are chosing an ust bead.
    WTB, Geax, Schwable, hutchinson, even maxxis now !
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I don't know. I have a set of WTB UST rims and a set of Flows. Unfortunately, the UST rims are on my light bike. I don't really trust regular tires tubeless on the UST rims. My options for UST tires though are 20% heavier, 50% more expensive and limited in tread choice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The Nano's work good on UST rims. I have Mavic C29'er rims, tires mount easily with a tire pump. I have had serious trouble with Stans rims. They don't use a tubeless bead. Hince the need for soap and water on the bead when mounting.

Keep on Rockin...
    I've found TLR tires work well on TLR rims, but not well on Stans.

Non-TLR tires haved worked very well with Stan's, as Stan's was designed to work with non-TLR tires. Non-TLR tires have worked poorly with TLR rims.

Pretty simple. Sorry. I'm not trying to sound too blunt.

Now that we have an increasing number of TLR 29er tires, one needs to give serious consideration as to which design to choose.

Many may chime in and say they've mounted both types of beads to both types of rims. I'm sure they have. I'm also fairly certain I could roll a bead off on a hard corner unless the bead-rim interface is appropriately matched.