Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ~Reformed Mechanic~

Anyone getting full travel on their Reba 29"?

My last two Reba's I have not been able to get full travel out of them. Im only getting like 3" of travel on a 100mm or about 3.5" on 120mm...

Im 185lbs and set my sag between 25-30% On my 2012 Reba RL ive got it set to about 30% and still do not use nearly all travel. Im running about 110psi in the positive and same thing in negative chamber. Ive tried running few more psi in the negative chamber but then I limit the total travel the fork has... Am I the only one with these issues on recent Reba's?
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If you let all of the air out can you compress it all the way?

I should add that I get full travel out of my Reba. 2011. Originally 100mm but I extended it to 120mm.
    Last edited by hillharman; 06-15-2012 at 09:42 PM.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Yes they compress without air, just seems like im always having to run low pressures extra sag and then still missing about 3/4-1" of the last travel... This is across three models btw... an SL, RL and RLT-TI

mtbr member
    I have a 2010 RLT I regularly get full travel running it at the recommended air pressure and 100mm of travel. I reset the red o-ring before i ride and it is pushed all the way up by the time I get finished with my 15 or so miles.
    The Good Times are Killing me

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    In the last 3/4" or so of travel the rate/pressure ramps up very quickly to prevent a harsh bottom out. With sag/pressure set at a typical value I would think it would take a pretty good hit to get 100% travel. I run my 130mm RLT a bit soft and I normally don't get the last 1/2" or so, even with a little air under the wheels here and there.

Gary
    Kool-Aid, Kool-Aid, Taste Great... Oh Yeaahh!

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by All_talk View Post
    In the last 3/4" or so of travel the rate/pressure ramps up very quickly to prevent a harsh bottom out. With sag/pressure set at a typical value I would think it would take a pretty good hit to get 100% travel. I run my 130mm RLT a bit soft and I normally don't get the last 1/2" or so, even with a little air under the wheels here and there.

Gary
    Yeah, I ride tech'y trails but typically not very heavy hits or huckin. How much sag are you guys setting?

Oh, I should mention I always do get most of my travel from my rear suspension

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I don't really set by sag any more, based on the terrain I'm riding I've learned to set the pressure so that I can use most of the travel. But I'd guess I'm about 30-35% sag on average.

Gary
    Kool-Aid, Kool-Aid, Taste Great... Oh Yeaahh!

mtbr member
    I have a couple year old 100 mm Reba Race and get full travel no problem. But my Fox on the other hand....

empty beer member
    Ace, I get full travel out of my '12 Reba RL and my '11 Reba RLT regularly. I run 120psi in the pos and I weigh 185 lbs. I set my pos pressure to keep from bottoming out, not by sag and adjust the neg for comfort over the small stuff. I say try hitting harder and huckin further
    Special Processed American Meat

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Follow this philosophy and your problems will be solved

Quote Originally Posted by WrecklessREX View Post
    Ace, I get full travel out of my '12 Reba RL and my '11 Reba RLT regularly. I run 120psi in the pos and I weigh 185 lbs. I set my pos pressure to keep from bottoming out, not by sag and adjust the neg for comfort over the small stuff. I say try hitting harder and huckin further

usually cranky
    11 reba set at 130mm. i can just about get full travel. 2 clicks of compression with floodgate about half open though i have to run the pressures lower than suggested.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I get full travel on a '11 rlt ti set at 120. Not sure what model you have but there is a thread here somewhere about setting up that fork that was very helpful to me. I was running more pressure than needed, even though I was at the recommended psi on the chart. Once I set it up properly it has been super plush and only used up all the travel when I needed it.

~Reformed Mechanic~

I think I got it figured out

I took apart my 2012 100mm RL last night and the spacer inside was small... like 10 or 15mm small...? I removed it anyway cause I love to have a little extra and then I lowered my pressure's just a bit and if felt GREAT today! I intentionally hit a few jumps hard today and sure enough I was getting almost full travel.

It felt so much better the way it was setup today! But now Im wondering did the 2012 Reba RL get switched to 110 or 115mm instead of 120mm max?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I kinda had the opposite problem. I was getting full travel on ever single ride. I was able to bottom it out just in my drive way. That was at the recommended pressure for my weight(set at 80mm). So I bumped up the pressure so that I would usually come around 1/4 to 1/8th of an inch from bottoming out but it just felt really harsh. So i just went back to having it very plush and having it bottom out occasionally. Taking out a spacer and bringing the full travel to 100mm definitely made it feel better and allowed me to use a little lower pressure.

I have a 2011 RL.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadcmpr View Post
    I kinda had the opposite problem. I was getting full travel on ever single ride. I was able to bottom it out just in my drive way. That was at the recommended pressure for my weight(set at 80mm). So I bumped up the pressure so that I would usually come around 1/4 to 1/8th of an inch from bottoming out but it just felt really harsh. So i just went back to having it very plush and having it bottom out occasionally. Taking out a spacer and bringing the full travel to 100mm definitely made it feel better and allowed me to use a little lower pressure.

I have a 2011 RL.

Wow, ya that doesnt sound like it was working right if you bottom out in your driveway.. I mean I was finally able to get it about 1/2" from bottom out, but I had to catch a good 3-4 foot air to do it... And its very plush on small stuff still. I like to run my negative pressure the same psi or about 5psi more though...

empty beer member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    I took apart my 2012 100mm RL last night and the spacer inside was small... like 10 or 15mm small...? I removed it anyway cause I love to have a little extra and then I lowered my pressure's just a bit and if felt GREAT today! I intentionally hit a few jumps hard today and sure enough I was getting almost full travel.

It felt so much better the way it was setup today! But now Im wondering did the 2012 Reba RL get switched to 110 or 115mm instead of 120mm max?
    What did the hash marks on the side of the stanction show before and after you pulled the spacer out? I should've added that both of mine are 100mm.

I'm wondering about the max travel too...
    Special Processed American Meat

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by WrecklessREX View Post
    What did the hash marks on the side of the stanction show before and after you pulled the spacer out? I should've added that both of mine are 100mm.

I'm wondering about the max travel too...
    Before I removed the spacer It was sitting right around the bottom of the 10% mark and I could not see the 100mm mark. After removing the spacer I can now see the 100mm line and it sits a few mm below it. Measuring it in IN shows about 4 1/4" travel without the spacer... I have noticed that I have never gotten 100% of the travel on my reba's. I dont mean when Im riding I mean they always have just sat lower than the travel they were set to... (even with equal pressure)

EXORCIZE
    But now Im wondering did the 2012 Reba RL get switched to 110 or 115mm instead of 120mm max?
    I bought a '11 Reba 80/100/120 after seeing that Rockshox's website listed the '12 as a 80/100. Can it be run at 120?
    ride natty ride

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    I bought a '11 Reba 80/100/120 after seeing that Rockshox's website listed the '12 as a 80/100. Can it be run at 120?
    Thats exactly what im trying to figure out myself... It appears that it can deffinitly be opened up by removing 1 small spacer but this is not a standard 20mm spacer (I do not think). I have done the conversion to many Reba's and I know what their noraml 20mm spacer looks like...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Wow, ya that doesnt sound like it was working right if you bottom out in your driveway.. I mean I was finally able to get it about 1/2" from bottom out, but I had to catch a good 3-4 foot air to do it... And its very plush on small stuff still. I like to run my negative pressure the same psi or about 5psi more though...
    When I had it set at 80mm I had to be set it at around 160+, 160- to keep it from bottoming out while forcefully pushing down just riding in the driveway. At 135 it would bottom out on some of the short down hill sections I ride on.

Since then I took out the spacer to bring it to 100mm and tried riding it at around 120+115 - but it still felt a little harsh. Now I have it at around 95+ and 90- and it feels pretty good.

I also tried riding it higher pressures and putting the negative 5-10 PSI higher than the positive but it didn't seem to help much. So I think I will just try to keep it how it is now.

I weigh around 200 geared up and ride XC in southern California.

turtles make me hot
    I weigh like 250 pounds, so I give my fork no choice but to give full compression.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I just put the new Reba RLT on my ride. I seem to have no problem getting ful ltravel, the red ring will be pushed all the way to the top. But I have a question with this, it seems to me like I shouldnt be getting full travel with the easy type of riding I was experimenting on it with, small jumps, etc. I have the + at 135 psi and the - at 135 psi. I am new to air shocks and dont truly understand what the sag means, the guy at my local bike shop set that for me and only put in 100 psi + and -. I weigh 190-200 lbs and I was getting full travel easily , so I pumped it to 135 on both and although it seems stiffer, im still getting full travel according to my red ring. Is this ok ? If not, can I go even higher then the 135 ?

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinzz View Post
    I just put the new Reba RLT on my ride. I seem to have no problem getting ful ltravel, the red ring will be pushed all the way to the top. But I have a question with this, it seems to me like I shouldnt be getting full travel with the easy type of riding I was experimenting on it with, small jumps, etc. I have the + at 135 psi and the - at 135 psi. I am new to air shocks and dont truly understand what the sag means, the guy at my local bike shop set that for me and only put in 100 psi + and -. I weigh 190-200 lbs and I was getting full travel easily , so I pumped it to 135 on both and although it seems stiffer, im still getting full travel according to my red ring. Is this ok ? If not, can I go even higher then the 135 ?
    I personally would feel like something was wrong If I was getting full travel every time I rode. It would depend though of what Im riding. So for me I think of the biggest hits and drops that I every take on the trails I ride and I try to get almost 100% out of those hits since they are not "huge". My goal is that I will get as close to 100% travel without bottoming out, I want to leave a little room for some fun after all. However, by doing this it means that most of the trails I might only get 80-85% travel. This leaves enough room to play with but doesnt feel overly soft for my style of riding. Anyway thats what works for me but YMMV of course.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Right now Demo-ing a Giant XTC-1 Aluminum, but the Reba100mm travel fork is only at 80mm? I can "pull" the fork up to the 100mm travel mark, but then it sits right back down to 80mm (without a rider on it). Not sure what is goin' on there...

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Ray View Post
    Right now Demo-ing a Giant XTC-1 Aluminum, but the Reba100mm travel fork is only at 80mm? I can "pull" the fork up to the 100mm travel mark, but then it sits right back down to 80mm (without a rider on it). Not sure what is goin' on there...
    This usually happens when your negative air chamber is a higher psi than your positive chamber. Let air out of the lower chamber and then reset them both, that should do it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast