Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Anyone get their hands on a Surly Knard 29x3"?

Like the title says... Has anyone actually received a 29x3" Knard tire yet? I'm super curious to see what rims you can run with these tires. I'm currently running P35's and I'm hoping they're not too narrow for these tires.

I want the Knard for the front by the way. I know it won't fit in the frame.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by trrubicon06 View Post
    Like the title says... Has anyone actually received a 29x3" Knard tire yet? I'm super curious to see what rims you can run with these tires. I'm currently running P35's and I'm hoping they're not too narrow for these tires.

The tires are not shipping yet.

Will fit fine on a P35.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The tires are not shipping yet.

Will fit fine on a P35.
    I know they haven't shipped yet, but didn't know if SPECIAL people have been given the chance to use them.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by trrubicon06 View Post

I have two Knard 29 x 3" folding tires, and two Rabbit Hole rims.

Yes, you can fit the Knards to the P35 rims. I think you'll end up running slightly higher pressures to keep the tire from rolling off the rim. I would not personally feel comfortable running Knards on P35's--just a bit too narrow of a rim.

I think the RH rims are great, but I'm already looking forward to something wider--more on the order of a 29" Marge Lite--to really spread out the casing and give a more square footprint. Knard is still pretty bulbous on the RH rims.

MC

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I have two Knard 29 x 3" folding tires, and two Rabbit Hole rims.

Yes, you can fit the Knards to the P35 rims. I think you'll end up running slightly higher pressures to keep the tire from rolling off the rim. I would not personally feel comfortable running Knards on P35's--just a bit too narrow of a rim.

I think the RH rims are great, but I'm already looking forward to something wider--more on the order of a 29" Marge Lite--to really spread out the casing and give a more square footprint. Knard is still pretty bulbous on the RH rims.

MC
    Is it fair to ask if you can give the weights of the tires and the rims? Or did Surly ask a gag order? Don't mean to put you on the spot...feel free to ignore if there's some ethical line.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Is it fair to ask if you can give the weights of the tires and the rims? Or did Surly ask a gag order? Don't mean to put you on the spot...feel free to ignore if there's some ethical line.
    Ask all you like, but I have no idea what the answers are.

The rims and tires felt light--like 'OMG how can this stuff have a Surly label on it' light.

They ride light too--just like a mountain bike with float, but none of the ponderousness of a fat rig.

Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Claimed weights are 820g for the 120tpi Knard and 700g for the Rabbit Hole rim
    mtbtires.com

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Claimed weights are 820g for the 120tpi Knard and 700g for the Rabbit Hole rim
    That's really light for such a big tire considering that a "28" x 2.35 inch Big Apple tire is quite a lot heavier. Schwalbe specs. them at 890 grams but mine are a bit more than that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

The rims and tires felt light--like 'OMG how can this stuff have a Surly label on it' light.

They ride light too--just like a mountain bike with float, but none of the ponderousness of a fat rig.
    But with your weight weenie reputation, I figured you weighed everything. Below Shiggy mentions the claimed weights, I was just trying to get some real-world confirmation. So light the weights are almost hard to believe, especially for the tire.

Arnborg strik

Have you seen this ?

Surly Krampus Review - BikeRadar

They say the tires weigh 1150gr
    Single dad, and proud of it!

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Surly Krampus Review - BikeRadar

They say the tires weigh 1150gr

That's a lot more than stated above. Hopefully the production 29 X 3" tires will be a bit more light than 1150 grams each, making Krampus a bit more lithe. If they end up weighing that much it would be nice if the tires were also super tough. I looked up the weight I
    measured on my Big Apples for comparison purposes (Schwalbe Big Apple 28 X 2.35 1075 & 1074 grams) and they are up there in weight too and are still huge fun to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post

That's a lot more than stated above. Hopefully the production 29 X 3" tires will be a bit more light than 1150 grams each, making Krampus a bit more lithe. If they end up weighing that much it would be nice if the tires were also super tough. I looked up the weight I
    measured on my Big Apples for comparison purposes (Schwalbe Big Apple 28 X 2.35 1075 & 1074 grams) and they are up there in weight too and are still huge fun to ride.
    Bikeradar does not say if they had the 120tpi or 27tpi tires. The later would be heavier.

The Big Apple tread is relatively thick and slick treads can have more rubber than knobby treads. Add in the commuter baised casing and the Knard could still be as light. The claimed 800g is still way light.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Realise only a few have tried them so far but any feedback on knards in mud yet?

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Bikeradar does not say if they had the 120tpi or 27tpi tires. The later would be heavier.

The Big Apple tread is relatively thick and slick treads can have more rubber than knobby treads. Add in the commuter baised casing and the Knard could still be as light. The claimed 800g is still way light.
    Right, forgot that there were going to be two versions of the Knard, the 27 tpi and 120 tpi models. That isn't mentioned under the Knard description on the Surly website but it is in the Surly Blog.

We've told you most of the pertinent details of the new 29x3.0 Surly Knard tire. It'll be about 820g for the 120tpi folding version and pretty close to that for the 27tpi. It's got blocks and whatnot for a tread pattern and it is 100% the best thing ever in the history of the universe and if you don't buy two you don't know anything about anything and you're a big jerk. It's also a very nice tire.

Single Speed Junkie

That is good feedback on the tire/rim combo.

Already have a hub here with spokes waiting for a RH rim. Thinking it might be a little bit with all the interest on this combo. I'm hoping the 29er tire is a major success for Surly and they will want to offer additional tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by octavius View Post
    Realise only a few have tried them so far but any feedback on knards in mud yet?
    Rode them on the Krampus at a demo day a few months back. Trail was wet-ish from a rain the night before. In the patches of red clay peanut butter mud the Knards got pretty slippy. In the more loamy and sandy parts of the trail they were fine, but I'm definitely looking forward to something more like a 29x3" Nate.

mtbr member
    thanks bike hippy.
    torn between getting a fat front (nate) or hanging back and going for a 29+. your comments on the knard are what id expected and its not for me but a nate 3.0 could be in the future...
    cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Octavius, I also did not have a lot of time to play with tire pressures at the demo. I would estimate I was running the tires around 15 psi. With more time to play I'm sure one could find the sweet spot for these tires and get a little better traction out of them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

tubeless?

Any opinions on running them tubeless (Stan's Arch)?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Actually, there is a picture of the tire and it is clearly labeled as a 27tpi, which would make it the heavier wire bead version, so a folder should be lighter. However, 300gm lighter would be a stretch unless it was a UL casing, but then the price should be higher than $120...

I was suprised to see Mikesee's comments concerning the fit on a P35, though I suppose if we're already running 3.8" tires on the 65mm LM, then going down by ~25% would lead us to ~50mm rim...

I ride muni, so right now I am limited to a 36h hub with a Nimbus Dominator 2 42mm rim, but if the tire works out and my dream hub (32h) arrives, I'll build up a Rabbit Hole fer sure.

I have two Knards on order, one 29 x 3" and a 26 x 3.8, can't wait for Santa to bring me some late presents

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bike hippy View Post
    Rode them on the Krampus at a demo day a few months back. Trail was wet-ish from a rain the night before. In the patches of red clay peanut butter mud the Knards got pretty slippy. In the more loamy and sandy parts of the trail they were fine, but I'm definitely looking forward to something more like a 29x3" Nate.
    Some D-bag neg repped me for this response.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sad news from Surly, the Knard 29 x 3 120 tpi has been delayed, March at best

Word on the street is that some of these tires, 850 were distributed, but I was not able to find out to whom or to where.

I'll pay a nice premium if someone will turn me on to one of these tires.

Yes, I only need one, it's the only benefit of riding a unicycle: fewer parts = lower costs.

Send me a PM if you can help me out. Mum is the word

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

Word on the street is that some of these tires, 850 were distributed, but I was not able to find out to whom or to where.

Yes, I only need one, it's the only benefit of riding a unicycle: fewer parts = lower costs.

Heard that as well. Think Surly knows they opened up a can of worms. Now they are trying to feed the supply chain so they can reliably deliver product.

I do know that there are a handful out there mostly with people inside the industry. Have a friend who ended up getting an early sample. From the sounds of it looks like the Knard will be a nice tire. Hoping the Krampus will bring about wider tire options.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Does anyone know if the Rabbit Hole rim got released on 1/7 as previously rumored?
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

How credible is that info about 850 tires being distributed? I'd really like to know where they went, anyone have a clue? I REALLY need to get my hands on a pair of these, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Mark

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast