Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anyone get their hands on a Surly Knard 29x3"?

Like the title says... Has anyone actually received a 29x3" Knard tire yet? I'm super curious to see what rims you can run with these tires. I'm currently running P35's and I'm hoping they're not too narrow for these tires.

I want the Knard for the front by the way. I know it won't fit in the frame.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by trrubicon06 View Post
    Like the title says... Has anyone actually received a 29x3" Knard tire yet? I'm super curious to see what rims you can run with these tires. I'm currently running P35's and I'm hoping they're not too narrow for these tires.

The tires are not shipping yet.

Will fit fine on a P35.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The tires are not shipping yet.

Will fit fine on a P35.
    I know they haven't shipped yet, but didn't know if SPECIAL people have been given the chance to use them.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by trrubicon06 View Post

I have two Knard 29 x 3" folding tires, and two Rabbit Hole rims.

Yes, you can fit the Knards to the P35 rims. I think you'll end up running slightly higher pressures to keep the tire from rolling off the rim. I would not personally feel comfortable running Knards on P35's--just a bit too narrow of a rim.

I think the RH rims are great, but I'm already looking forward to something wider--more on the order of a 29" Marge Lite--to really spread out the casing and give a more square footprint. Knard is still pretty bulbous on the RH rims.

MC

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I have two Knard 29 x 3" folding tires, and two Rabbit Hole rims.

Yes, you can fit the Knards to the P35 rims. I think you'll end up running slightly higher pressures to keep the tire from rolling off the rim. I would not personally feel comfortable running Knards on P35's--just a bit too narrow of a rim.

I think the RH rims are great, but I'm already looking forward to something wider--more on the order of a 29" Marge Lite--to really spread out the casing and give a more square footprint. Knard is still pretty bulbous on the RH rims.

MC
    Is it fair to ask if you can give the weights of the tires and the rims? Or did Surly ask a gag order? Don't mean to put you on the spot...feel free to ignore if there's some ethical line.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Is it fair to ask if you can give the weights of the tires and the rims? Or did Surly ask a gag order? Don't mean to put you on the spot...feel free to ignore if there's some ethical line.
    Ask all you like, but I have no idea what the answers are.

The rims and tires felt light--like 'OMG how can this stuff have a Surly label on it' light.

They ride light too--just like a mountain bike with float, but none of the ponderousness of a fat rig.

Claimed weights are 820g for the 120tpi Knard and 700g for the Rabbit Hole rim
    mtbtires.com

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Claimed weights are 820g for the 120tpi Knard and 700g for the Rabbit Hole rim
    That's really light for such a big tire considering that a "28" x 2.35 inch Big Apple tire is quite a lot heavier. Schwalbe specs. them at 890 grams but mine are a bit more than that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

The rims and tires felt light--like 'OMG how can this stuff have a Surly label on it' light.

They ride light too--just like a mountain bike with float, but none of the ponderousness of a fat rig.
    But with your weight weenie reputation, I figured you weighed everything. Below Shiggy mentions the claimed weights, I was just trying to get some real-world confirmation. So light the weights are almost hard to believe, especially for the tire.

Arnborg strik

Have you seen this ?

Surly Krampus Review - BikeRadar

They say the tires weigh 1150gr

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Surly Krampus Review - BikeRadar

They say the tires weigh 1150gr

That's a lot more than stated above. Hopefully the production 29 X 3" tires will be a bit more light than 1150 grams each, making Krampus a bit more lithe. If they end up weighing that much it would be nice if the tires were also super tough. I looked up the weight I
    measured on my Big Apples for comparison purposes (Schwalbe Big Apple 28 X 2.35” 1075 & 1074 grams) and they are up there in weight too and are still huge fun to ride.
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} </style> <![endif]-->

Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post

That's a lot more than stated above. Hopefully the production 29 X 3" tires will be a bit more light than 1150 grams each, making Krampus a bit more lithe. If they end up weighing that much it would be nice if the tires were also super tough. I looked up the weight I
    measured on my Big Apples for comparison purposes (Schwalbe Big Apple 28 X 2.35” 1075 & 1074 grams) and they are up there in weight too and are still huge fun to ride.
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} </style> <![endif]-->
    Bikeradar does not say if they had the 120tpi or 27tpi tires. The later would be heavier.

The Big Apple tread is relatively thick and slick treads can have more rubber than knobby treads. Add in the commuter baised casing and the Knard could still be as light. The claimed 800g is still way light.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Realise only a few have tried them so far but any feedback on knards in mud yet?

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Bikeradar does not say if they had the 120tpi or 27tpi tires. The later would be heavier.

The Big Apple tread is relatively thick and slick treads can have more rubber than knobby treads. Add in the commuter baised casing and the Knard could still be as light. The claimed 800g is still way light.
    Right, forgot that there were going to be two versions of the Knard, the 27 tpi and 120 tpi models. That isn't mentioned under the Knard description on the Surly website but it is in the Surly Blog.

We've told you most of the pertinent details of the new 29x3.0 Surly Knard tire. It'll be about 820g for the 120tpi folding version and pretty close to that for the 27tpi. It's got blocks and whatnot for a tread pattern and it is 100% the best thing ever in the history of the universe and if you don't buy two you don't know anything about anything and you're a big jerk. It's also a very nice tire.

Single Speed Junkie

That is good feedback on the tire/rim combo.

Already have a hub here with spokes waiting for a RH rim. Thinking it might be a little bit with all the interest on this combo. I'm hoping the 29er tire is a major success for Surly and they will want to offer additional tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by octavius View Post
    Realise only a few have tried them so far but any feedback on knards in mud yet?
    Rode them on the Krampus at a demo day a few months back. Trail was wet-ish from a rain the night before. In the patches of red clay peanut butter mud the Knards got pretty slippy. In the more loamy and sandy parts of the trail they were fine, but I'm definitely looking forward to something more like a 29x3" Nate.

mtbr member
    thanks bike hippy.
    torn between getting a fat front (nate) or hanging back and going for a 29+. your comments on the knard are what id expected and its not for me but a nate 3.0 could be in the future...
    cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Octavius, I also did not have a lot of time to play with tire pressures at the demo. I would estimate I was running the tires around 15 psi. With more time to play I'm sure one could find the sweet spot for these tires and get a little better traction out of them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

tubeless?

Any opinions on running them tubeless (Stan's Arch)?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Actually, there is a picture of the tire and it is clearly labeled as a 27tpi, which would make it the heavier wire bead version, so a folder should be lighter. However, 300gm lighter would be a stretch unless it was a UL casing, but then the price should be higher than $120...

I was suprised to see Mikesee's comments concerning the fit on a P35, though I suppose if we're already running 3.8" tires on the 65mm LM, then going down by ~25% would lead us to ~50mm rim...

I ride muni, so right now I am limited to a 36h hub with a Nimbus Dominator 2 42mm rim, but if the tire works out and my dream hub (32h) arrives, I'll build up a Rabbit Hole fer sure.

I have two Knards on order, one 29 x 3" and a 26 x 3.8, can't wait for Santa to bring me some late presents

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bike hippy View Post
    Rode them on the Krampus at a demo day a few months back. Trail was wet-ish from a rain the night before. In the patches of red clay peanut butter mud the Knards got pretty slippy. In the more loamy and sandy parts of the trail they were fine, but I'm definitely looking forward to something more like a 29x3" Nate.
    Some D-bag neg repped me for this response.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sad news from Surly, the Knard 29 x 3 120 tpi has been delayed, March at best

Word on the street is that some of these tires, 850 were distributed, but I was not able to find out to whom or to where.

I'll pay a nice premium if someone will turn me on to one of these tires.

Yes, I only need one, it's the only benefit of riding a unicycle: fewer parts = lower costs.

Send me a PM if you can help me out. Mum is the word

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

Word on the street is that some of these tires, 850 were distributed, but I was not able to find out to whom or to where.

Yes, I only need one, it's the only benefit of riding a unicycle: fewer parts = lower costs.

Heard that as well. Think Surly knows they opened up a can of worms. Now they are trying to feed the supply chain so they can reliably deliver product.

I do know that there are a handful out there mostly with people inside the industry. Have a friend who ended up getting an early sample. From the sounds of it looks like the Knard will be a nice tire. Hoping the Krampus will bring about wider tire options.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Does anyone know if the Rabbit Hole rim got released on 1/7 as previously rumored?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

How credible is that info about 850 tires being distributed? I'd really like to know where they went, anyone have a clue? I REALLY need to get my hands on a pair of these, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Mark

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by erik h View Post
    your probably better off running them on something wider like the flow or the Flow EX for starters...

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mjduct View Post
    your probably better off running them on something wider like the flow or the Flow EX for starters...
    Agreed wider rims the better. (even though I have not yet ridden the tires.)

Quote Originally Posted by erik h View Post
    As previously stated, at least a P35 is recommended. Neither Arch or Flow come close to the minimum recommendation.

Does anyone know if the Rabbit Hole rim got released on 1/7 as previously rumored?
    No go from my local shops. They're saying March. Maybe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Surly facebook page says Krampi framesets, Knard tires, and RH rims are shipping to shops on 1/17. I'm not clear on whether the big distributors like Quality will get them or if they're all going to LBS's with big pre-orders.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    Surly facebook page says Krampi framesets, Knard tires, and RH rims are shipping to shops on 1/17. I'm not clear on whether the big distributors like Quality will get them or if they're all going to LBS's with big pre-orders.
    If anyone hears any news about when individual rims and tires will be available, please post up. Latest rumors are March. From what I've heard, initially you won't be able to get rims and tires unless you pre-ordered a frameset. Now, that could be bad information, so post up if you hear.

mtbr member
    Quality serves the LBS, and owns/founded Surly, they might get a few of them.

Fat Tire Beer Bum
    Random update but some LBS in Minneapols received the frame sets and rim/tire combo on 1/15. My was built up and ready 1/17 (and in time for my birthday yesterday) see angrycatfishes FB page for pics,etc. rims and tires only available with pre-ordered frame sets. I weighed two 127tpi Knards and both were 700g. I weighed four Rabbit Holes, 2x680g, 690g,and 700g were respective weights. Total weight was around 28 lbs with the wheels set up ghetto tubeless using 24" tubes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dbruning View Post
    Random update but some LBS in Minneapols received the frame sets and rim/tire combo on 1/15. My was built up and ready 1/17 (and in time for my birthday yesterday) see angrycatfishes FB page for pics,etc. rims and tires only available with pre-ordered frame sets. I weighed two 127tpi Knards and both were 700g. I weighed four Rabbit Holes, 2x680g, 690g,and 700g were respective weights. Total weight was around 28 lbs with the wheels set up ghetto tubeless using 24" tubes.
    You say the tires are 700 grams? That's almost unbelieveable. And I'm not saying I don't believe you, but...Holy crap that's light.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by dbruning View Post

There
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone get their hands on a Surly Knard 29x3&quot;?-704765_10151352960556506_1861344949_o.jpg  

No moss...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    how much is the wheith of de knard 27tpi????

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman13 View Post
    how much is the wheith of de knard 27tpi????
    Earlier in this very thread, somebody weighed them in at 1150 grams. In this very thread.

I think he's asking the width?? If so, it's right on the Surly blog.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Db Jeff, can you guys put the calipers to those tires and tell us what you get (height and width), also what rims (width) are they mounted on?

I've been riding a 26 x 4 Knard 120tpi, not sure I like it, traction is so so, lots of autosteer, terrible on crown and off camber, hopefully that's a non issue on the narrower tire.

Put up some ride feedback once you get some miles on the Knards...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Surly/Salsa on a road tour promoting fat bikes and Krampus. I plan to hang out at Island Lake in SE Michigan tomorrow afternoon to get a first hand look see.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    i will try to get a side by side pic of the knard on a p35 and rabbit hole posted later today

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Edit: As of 1/24/13, it's probably best to call Tree Fort before making an order.

Someone over in the 29er Krampus thread claims Treefortbikes has stock of rims and tires available. I went and checked. From what I can see, the Rabbit Hole and the 27tpi Knard are available to order. Stock looks good the site says.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 01-24-2013 at 09:29 AM.

The Rabbit Hole rim is only available with a frame purchase. I wonder if its the same with the Knard?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    The Rabbit Hole rim is only available with a frame purchase. I wonder if its the same with the Knard?
    You sure? I have a Rabbit Hole in my cart at Treefort and it takes me to checkout. I'm right up to the point where you have to pay. Edit: Same with the 27tpi tire. I think they must have at least a few for sale w/o frameset.

You sure? I have a Rabbit Hole in my cart at Treefort and it takes me to checkout. I'm right up to the point where you have to pay. Edit: Same with the 27tpi tire. I think they must have at least a few for sale w/o frameset.
    Look at one of the questions and TFB's response on the Rabbit Hole page. They say frame purchase is required. But maybe that's old info. Hope you can get your rim and tire!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Look at one of the questions and TFB's response on the Rabbit Hole page. They say frame purchase is required. But maybe that's old info. Hope you can get your rim and tire!
    Edit: Call Treefort first, according to Dan below the orders aren't going through as of 1/24/13.

Yeah, I saw that, but it appears to be older info. At least in the sense that you can put a rim and tire in the cart and pay. Unless TFB comes back and and refuses payment. But if you try to order the 120tpi tire, the website doesn't even give you the option of placing it in the cart. Thanks for the well-wishes. I think I'm going to wait until the 120tpi tires are out. I think I can live until I can save up the coin to pay for both a front and back wheel.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 01-24-2013 at 09:27 AM.

mtbr member
    I jumped on the chance to order the 27tpi tire. The order went throughbut then this morning I get the email saying that the went to back order but the site still shows in stock. So looks like im still waiting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan View Post
    I jumped on the chance to order the 27tpi tire. The order went throughbut then this morning I get the email saying that the went to back order but the site still shows in stock. So looks like im still waiting.
    Fixgeardan, sorry to hear this. I edited my posts above so hopefully others won't get lured in. Hopefully, something will get sorted out quickly with TreeFort, and they will send yo u a tire asap.

mtbr member
    Like everyone else around here im on multiple watch lists, friends in the biz watching out. My 50mm wheels with Ardents are great but I want my Knards!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    fixgerdan , have you picture the ardents 2,4 in 50mm rim

mtbr member
    No but I can try tonight.It makes it HUGE.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i hope this, thank you

y have on krsh holm rim 38mm, y am waiting for one knard but of while i put a ardent 2,4
    Last edited by ironman13; 01-24-2013 at 04:02 PM.

mtbr member
    For everyone wanting these tires, I just got a stock alert from Universal Cycles, says they have 50 available, but only the 27 tpi version. I am holding out for the 120 tpi version.

mtbr member
    How much more durable would the 27tpi be over the 120tpi ? My concern with this tire
    is that I will tear it.We tear alot of tires here in AZ. I have a Minion coming monday I may just stick with that. Dont even ask how I got a Minion !

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    How much more durable would the 27tpi be over the 120tpi ? My concern with this tire
    is that I will tear it.We tear alot of tires here in AZ. I have a Minion coming monday I may just stick with that. Dont even ask how I got a Minion !
    Haaay! Where did you get a Minion? No fair. Just kidding, but post up your opinions on the new Minion over in that thread please.

mtbr member
    Will do on monday. Should be pretty massive on a 50mm rim.

mtbr member

Re: Anyone get their hands on a Surly Knard 29x3"?

My knards in 120 tpi from Treefort were 963 grams.
    RH rims were 652 grams.
    Dbruning... I want your 700 gram knards. Is your scale calibrated? My racing ralph 2.4s weigh 640 plus grams.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    My knards in 120 tpi from Treefort were 963 grams.
    RH rims were 652 grams.
    Dbruning... I want your 700 gram knards. Is your scale calibrated? My racing ralph 2.4s weigh 640 plus grams.
    Those rims are shockingly light. From what I've seen, a heavy measure for the rim is 700 grams. That's impressive, especially if they prove durable over time. I'll be happy to have the Knard I get come in under 900 grams. But even at 963 that's a lot of tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    For everyone wanting these tires, I just got a stock alert from Universal Cycles, says they have 50 available, but only the 27 tpi version. I am holding out for the 120 tpi version.

And I have just seen a 120tpi on eBay. Within 24 hours of the Universal Cycles alert.

Edit: I bought 2 of them, there 3 left at 3:21 am pacific time, Saturday morning.
    Last edited by Godlikedog; 02-02-2013 at 04:21 AM.

Calgon, take me away!
    I was shocked to find them in Ebay and just bought a 120tpi...so 2 left....

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Anyone get their hands on a Surly Knard 29x3&quot;?-img_4205.jpgHere is a pic of my buddies new Krampus. The tires are really nice and surprisingly not too heavy, much lighter then a Pugsly tire.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I weighed a Rabbit Hole and a 27 tpi Knard 29x3 (I only got one of each) on my Park scale...

Rim: 695g
    Tire: 1205g

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My Knard arrived today - first impressions : weighs 940g, heavier than hoped for, but in the region that others are getting, and 600g lighter than my Nate!!! size : looks a bit smaller than expected :/ OK - I've only got it on a 35mm Rim at the moment so it measures 67.5mm on the casing and 73mm across the tread. No doubt it will spread a little more when my Rabbit Hole arrives.

Just got back from my first ride - this tyre ROCKS I ran it at 14psi, and felt some squirm in fast sharp corners, but nothing I'm not used to with fat tyres I'm hoping I can run it at 13 or 12psi on a 50mm rim. I think this tyre really brings out the best in my Jones -it's super agile with some nice cush and grip - it's an absolute riot

Quote Originally Posted by Futon River Crossing View Post
    My Knard arrived today - first impressions : weighs 940g, heavier than hoped for, but in the region that others are getting, and 600g lighter than my Nate!!! size : looks a bit smaller than expected :/ OK - I've only got it on a 35mm Rim at the moment so it measures 67.5mm on the casing and 73mm across the tread. No doubt it will spread a little more when my Rabbit Hole arrives.

Just got back from my first ride - this tyre ROCKS I ran it at 14psi, and felt some squirm in fast sharp corners, but nothing I'm not used to with fat tyres I'm hoping I can run it at 13 or 12psi on a 50mm rim. I think this tyre really brings out the best in my Jones -it's super agile with some nice cush and grip - it's an absolute riot
    I would love to hear your thoughts on the Knard on that 35mm rim (P35, I'm assuming) and the RH. I've got P35's on my Jones, but was thinking about going RH up front. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My review IS for a Knard on a 35mm rim.

Trail Ninja
    Saw this pic on another forum, of the Knard mounted on Arch EX rims.

My review IS for a Knard on a 35mm rim.
    Right. To clarify, interested to hear your comparison between the 35mm rim and the 50mm rim with the Knard. I want to know if spending $300 to get a RH will be worth it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the riding differences between the Knard on a 29er rim and a fat tire on a 26 inch rim. I know the tire weight is going to make for a big difference, but did the differences in outside wheel diameter change the handling of the bike all that much? I ask, because I've only ridden my Jones with a fat front. However, I'm using a 50mm Jones rim with a Husker Du tire. Weight wise, there wouldn't be a huge change for me if I switch to a Knard/Rabbit Hole combo. I'm wondering if I should A. keep my fat wheel and forget the Knard/hole. B. Keep my fat front and get the Knard/Hole because both are useful in their own ways. C. sell my fat wheel to help pay for the Knard/Hole. Obviously, nobody can answer that question for me, but I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts. I'm thinking if my bike will handle nearly the same with the Knard/Hole then why bother, except to save 200-300 grams, which is tempting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I won't be getting any Rabbit Holes until mid march, so we'll have to wait and see

Ok - fat vs thin on a Jones - I have a normal 35mm Gordo 29er wheel and a fat 72mm 26" wheel. The 29er, with, say, a Weirwolf 2.55 LTwheel accelerates quickly corners spectacularly well - it's very flickable and responsive - twisty single track is a joy, the downside for me is that even run at 18psi I find it a bit too bumpy at high speeds YMMV. The fat tyre gives great comfort, but at a cost of some manoeuvrability, cornering is slower and requires more input from the rider, it has fantastic grip too which is a real bonus in winter mud. I also love the feeling of invincibility that a fat tyre inspires! 95% of my riding has been with the fat front- but I think that is about to change!!!

The Knard combines the flick ability of the former with enough of the Cush of the latter. If you've never ridden your Jones with a 29er wheel - I think it'll be an eye opener. I'd recommend 2 sets of wheels, it's really like having 2 different bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I won't be getting any Rabbit Holes until mid march, so we'll have to wait and see

Ok - fat vs thin on a Jones - I have a normal 35mm Gordo 29er wheel and a fat 72mm 26" wheel. The 29er, with, say, a Weirwolf 2.55 LTwheel accelerates quickly corners spectacularly well - it's very flickable and responsive - twisty single track is a joy, the downside for me is that even run at 18psi I find it a bit too bumpy at high speeds YMMV. The fat tyre gives great comfort, but at a cost of some manoeuvrability, cornering is slower and requires more input from the rider, it has fantastic grip too which is a real bonus in winter mud. I also love the feeling of invincibility that a fat tyre inspires! 95% of my riding has been with the fat front- but I think that is about to change!!!

The Knard combines the flick ability of the former with enough of the Cush of the latter. If you've never ridden your Jones with a 29er wheel - I think it'll be an eye opener. I'd recommend 2 sets of wheels, it's really like having 2 different bikes.
    Much appreciated. My plan has been to buy the Knard/Hole and keep my fat wheel. Ride the Knard/Hole then decide if I want to keep, or sell, the fat wheel. My worry is that the 50mm Rabbit Hole will ride similar to the 50mm Jones 26 inch rim. But I won't know until I try. Sounds like you'll eventually have 3 front wheels: fat, Rabbit Hole, P35. Wonder if you'll find one of them overkill.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    UPS brought my knard today. Imediately threw it on the front of my Fargo on the stock wheel. I have plenty of clearance, so I'll probably get a wide wheel built soon. Took it for a three hour trail ride and was impressed. Started at 12 psi (running with a tube) and let some out partway through the ride. Grip was good even where it is normally kind of sketchy(bench cut downhill with loose limestone) and pretty much felt like I was running a suspension fork. It rolled well and I couldn't really feel the weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Bluestatevirgin - there is no comparison between a fat wheel and a 29er wheel..... I used to have a 50mm wide 26" fat wheel rim, so I can assure you, you will feel the difference.

Well, just ordered a 27tpi Knard from UC. It will be mounted to a P35 and will replace the current Ardent 2.4". Hope it will be worth the cash.

mtbr member
    My 27tpi Knard will be here tommorrow. On a UMA 50 rim the rear is also a 50 rim with an ARdent.Finaly!

mtbr member
    Just put my knard on and going ridin in the rocks for my lunch hour in a few minutes.
    Ill check back later.

Just put my knard on and going ridin in the rocks for my lunch hour in a few minutes.
    Ill check back later.
    How did it go? Can't wait to get mine next week.

mtbr member
    It was good.I had a killer migraine and the wind was blowin about 35mph But I started at 15psi and it was a bit bouncy. I was doin very slow tech boulder riding in the Granite Dells. I lowered the pressure to 13.5-14 psi and was better could probably go to 12 out there and be safe Grip was good . Basicly everything I liked about the fat front without the things I didnt .Best of both worlds 29er and fatfront . Only problem was I buzzed my foot on the tire due to toe overlap. But with the Jones being 1x9 I just put the EBB all the way back and should fix that. Supposed to get a couple inches of snow tonight so me beable to test that tommorrow .Pretty much love it. Really is fun

mtbr member
    Anybody mount one of these up to a p35 yet? I'm wondering how the setup will look for the front of my K.Monkey..

Quote Originally Posted by Jstews View Post
    Anybody mount one of these up to a p35 yet? I'm wondering how the setup will look for the front of my K.Monkey..
    I'll be getting mine set up soon. Knard comes in next Tues.

highly visible
    Picked up mine Thursday at Universal. Mounted it on a Kris Holm wheel that's been sitting in my basement, waiting for this tire, for eight long years.

Paired it with a shaved Dissent 2.5 in back (which still has gobs of traction but rolls fast and is practically flatproof even at low psi). Doesn't exactly turn my Vulture into a fatbike, but at least it's a little chubby. Overweight anyway, with this tire/wheel combo. I didn't weigh my Knard, but it's definitely lighter than the Dissent!

Now I need to go find some sand or snow. Might not be able to get out and ride for a few days, but this big, fat, cushy tire sure is begging to be ridden.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Been riding the snowy streets of Anchorage this week with a Knard 27 tpi on 44mm Snocat on the front of my El Mariachi. I must say I'm very impressed with it's leading quality thru manky (unplowed streets and foot pocked snow berms) snow. Racing Ralph 2.4 on Snocat on the rear. Despite it's weight it still feels much lighter and faster than my Pugsley with Holey Rolling Darryl's shod with 120tpi shoes. Tempted to stretch the chainstays on my KM and/or Salsa, but will build up Rabbit Holes for the Pugsley as a summer wheelset. Krampus will replace the Salsa ultimately, me thinks......

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My Knard arrived last night and I quickly threw it on my front wheel. Much to my chagrin it is too wide for my GT Peace fork.

The Knard won't fit the stock fork on my Sawyer either - the fork is wide enough but that stupid bridge that Trek welded on just above the tire and below the crown makes the fork too short for the tire. Interestingly enough, there is *almost* room for the Knard in the back of the Sawyer but it rubs the seatstays. I'm using a P35 rim so it might actually fit back there on a narrower hoop.

I've got a spare Enabler fork (which should have tons of clearance) and a spare Surly rear hub so I'll be rebuilding the wheel tonight and hopefully getting some rides in later this week. I've been running a fat front set-up on two of my bikes for the last year and can't wait to see how the Knard/P35 combination compares.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    On an alex adventurer 25mm I think, it will fit in the Salsa and spin with rubbage on the chainstays. All I would need is a cm or so. The KM is slightly tighter at the chainstays with the wheel all the way back. Plenty of room on both at the brake bridge. With all the soft terrain we have up here winter or summer, I'm wanting max floatation though. The Knard is plenty round profile-wise on the 44mm rims. With a pugs in the fleet to experiment with and the proper frame soon to be available, I'll hold off on the modification idea. The ? is, will the Pugs fly on our local singletrack come summer, or just be a slightly lighter feeling fat bike for bike packing?

mtbr member
    Well heres mine. Still playing with pressures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone get their hands on a Surly Knard 29x3&quot;?-p1000613.jpg  

Trail Ninja
    Wonder how the Knard fits on other standard wheels in other forks (Revelation, Niner or Whiskey Rigid, Tower Pro, etc). Expecting some success, considering how well it fit in a Fox fork on Stan's Arch EX.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well heres mine. Still playing with pressures.
    Where's the Minion? Where's the ride report?

Sorry, I had to play with the new smilies.

mtbr member
    The minion is just sitting there I havent even ridden it. Its very very very thick casing ,
    weighs 1285grams. Looks and feels like the most burly down hill tire just bigger. And
    I really dont know why I bought it or what Im going to do with it .I may let Enel try it or
    just unload it. Im liking the Knard alot.

Harrumph
    120tpi 29in Knards were in stock at "the Q" yesterday..... And also sold out yesterday. So shops somewhere have them in stock.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Called all the fat bike retailer on the web, talked to some local shops, but not a single bike shop would sell me one without a frame/wheelset, I even explained that I only need one cuz I ride muni, but nada.

Saw a post where someone had found the Knard on Ebay, ordered on Wednesday, Scheduled for delivery today.

Silly bike shops, Silly QBC.

Now I'm just stitting by the door, waiting for that familiar sound of engine and brakes, signifying brown santa has arrived with the goods

And the weather has cooperated!

Picked up my Knard a couple of days ago. It is the 27TPI and weighs in at 1,300 grams (!!). I see Universal Cycles has 4 of the 120tpi version available as of today.

mtbr member

Picked up my Knard a couple of days ago. It is the 27TPI and weighs in at 1,300 grams (!!). I see Universal Cycles has 4 of the 120tpi version available as of today.
    Wow. Some people are reporting 700g knards in 120tpi. You've almost doubled the weight! Holy shoot!
    CRAMBA Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    Wow. Some people are reporting 700g knards in 120tpi. You've almost doubled the weight! Holy shoot!
    Yeah, I had to look in the tire to make sure they didn't stuff a second one in there.

Did I catch a niner+?

Angry Catfish posted they have some in stock as of yesterday. (612) 722-1538
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So, I got my Knard 29 x 3, 120 tpi, mounted on a Nimbus Dominator 2 (42mm) running a Maxxis 26 x 2.2-2.5 tube, at 20psi:

Weight 925gm
    Casing 66mm wide x 58mm tall
    Tread 72mm wide x 62mm tall

In contrast, a Hans Dampf Pacestar 2.35
    Weight 870gm
    Casing 62 x 50
    Tread 62 x 55

The tire arrived late, so no ride review other than around the yard. First impression:

An ultralight casing means be careful on dirt and rock!
    I was kinda hoping for a more robust tire, esp at 925gm, but it is what it is, I'm thinking that that I might need to pick up a 27 tpi and see if there's more meat.

The tire did not want to stay on the rim, blew off on two sides as I was setting the bead. The Dominator rim has a very aggressive hook, so I was really suprised when it came off, but then the tire has a very small bead and was quite loose going on. Once mounted "square" it held the bead fine, as to how it'll do on the trail, we'll see.

Anyone have a comparo between the two casings, ie does the 27tpi feel that much more robust?

BTW, I have a 26 x 3.8 120tpi Knard for sale barely used, I paid the fee, so it's listed in the classifieds, send me a pm if interested.

I work in .001 tolerances

LBS here in Denver has been sitting on half dozen Knards for weeks.
    I finally broke down 2 days ago and dropped the cash.
    Best money I've spent on bike part(s) in years! Love. This. Tire

Mounted to a Kris Holm 47mm freeride rim on a '08 Karate Monkey. Way, way to fat for the rear.
    Here's a pic from yesterdays 36 mile epic with the Knard

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i have this rims waitting the knard tire

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My LBS has put out several Krampus and one has P35's. Knard fits fine on there and is minimally different when mounted to the Rabbit Hole wheel.

For inquiring minds: 29 Knard on 47mm rim + 2011 Reba.

Not even close

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have a 29x3, 120tpi, going for the first ride today, thinking I'm going to need a more burly sidewall as this will be an all season tire for minu, so lots of rocks.

Anyone want to trade a 27tpi plus cash for my 120tpi?

Also have a 26 x 3.8 , 120tpi that I'm not riding, 1325gm.
    Send me a PM

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Got another ride on the Kanrd 29 x 3 (120i), playing with pressures to find the ideal feel, seems to be very sensitive to pressure, far more so than the 26" version, may be due to the ultralight casing.

Compared to the 26 x 3.8 (120tpi) which has a standard casing, the 29" Knard is very thin in the sidewall, more like an RR. This is probably fine for snow and mud, but off drops and around rock and root, I find that I'm having to run a higher pressure than I would on a 26" fat tire, nearly double the pressure to get the same feel.

Still looking for real life comparison between the 120 tpi and the 27tpi, specifically is the 27tpi more burly in the sidewall?

Attempted the tubeless route on the Knard this evening.
    Took all of 5min with the split-tube ghetto method and a floor pump. No compressor.
    Also decided to throw some reflective banding in the rim while I was in there

Anyone get their hands on a Surly Knard 29x3&quot;?-imag0462-1.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6