Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

anyone get rid of FD and regret it? thinking about X01 or XX1 for new bike

I am actually thinking about this for a new MTB and also for my CX bike. sram has cx1 coming soon. My road bike has elec shift and I am thinking about something different. has anyone gone to no FD and regretted it?
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

anyone get rid of FD and regret it? thinking about X01 or XX1 for new bike

I did for a while. Had to stop to move the chain between chainrings, though I could make a downshift with my heel sometimes. Was a PITA.

With a single chainring there is no need for a FD, so you do not miss it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Now that is some good sarcasm. I haven't had any coffee yet and I had to re read it to see if one of us was a little slow on the uptake
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    I'm running 1 x 10 on my MTB and don't miss the front chainrings. I'm running 32T x 11-36T.

With XX1/XO1 you'd have an even wider gear range.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It's pretty easy to determine how you'll like it. Just stop shifting the front derailleur!
    Blur LT & Highball

FKA Malibu412
    Go 1 X 11. The only thing I would regret is whippin' out 300 clams for a cassette.

I went 1 X 9 on my hard tail with a 36 front and 11-36 cassette. A little steep for some climbs but I deal with it by standing and mashing. No regrets.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    The only thing I would regret is whippin' out 300 clams for a cassette.
    +1 - They are pricey:

Sram XG-1199 XX1 Cassette > Components > Drivetrain > Cassettes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

You can try a 10spd 42T option if you are willing to mess around with your drivetrain a bit.

42 Tooth Cog for 10 Speed from OneUp - NSMB.com Mountain Bike Reviews, News, Photo and Video
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    +1 - They are pricey
    Sorry. 400+ clams. Now folks will chime in with "where'd you see an XX1 for $300?"
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

Warrior's Society
    I went 1x9 about 8 months ago....32x11/34 on my Tallboy. I really like it. Haven't run into a situation where I felt I needed any more gear.

About 1 month ago, moved up to 1x10 (32x11/36). Didn't need the extra gear, but wanted to make the jump to Type 2 Derailluer.

Keep in mind that I normal ride a SS so I am used to turning a bigger gear.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donn12 View Post
    Now that is some good sarcasm. I haven't had any coffee yet and I had to re read it to see if one of us was a little slow on the uptake
    I don't think he was being sarcastic. Some people do in fact keep a small chain ring on their cranks and remove all other hardware (shifter and derailleur) if they ride in places where they will predominantly only use a bigger ring. It allows the option to manually use a granny ring when needed on extended hard climbs.

That said, I've been riding with a nine speed 22T/32T and 11/34T cassette on a 29" hardtail. I recently moved to Northern California where the climbs are at times substantial and I've been thinking about lower gearing. The only 36T nine speed cassette is the low level freehub eating Shimano HG61 so I've been thinking about a 1 X 10 or 1 X 11 system but none of them actually get me a lower gear than I'm already using.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    I have three mbikes

1x1
    1x11
    2x10

different bikes for different applications.

The 2x10 is on my FS bike and use it for long distance training and need the extra gearing at times.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    I don't think he was being sarcastic. Some people do in fact keep a small chain ring on their cranks and remove all other hardware (shifter and derailleur) if they ride in places where they will predominantly only use a bigger ring. It allows the option to manually use a granny ring when needed on extended hard climbs.

That said, I've been riding with a nine speed 22T/32T and 11/34T cassette on a 29" hardtail. I recently moved to Northern California where the climbs are at times substantial and I've been thinking about lower gearing. The only 36T nine speed cassette is the low level freehub eating Shimano HG61 so I've been thinking about a 1 X 10 or 1 X 11 system but none of them actually get me a lower gear than I'm already using.
    Where abouts you live now? I've got 28x36 and 32x36. There are both good, but there are a lot of very tough climbs around here. I've not been riding much outside of local trails this year, and rides under 2 hours, so I haven't needed lower gearing, but I'm always thinking I should get it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Where abouts you live now? I've got 28x36 and 32x36. There are both good, but there are a lot of very tough climbs around here. I've not been riding much outside of local trails this year, and rides under 2 hours, so I haven't needed lower gearing, but I'm always thinking I should get it.
    I'm in the South Bay area.

I was not referring to the larger or single ring setups but rather my 22T ring and 34T sprocket is still a lower gear ratio than a SRAM XX1 28T ring and 42T on the cassette.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I would never run more than one ring up front, regardless of where I lived/rode.

More crap to break/maintain/add weight/etc...

I run 32 up front and a 11-36t in the back of the geared bike, and 32:20 on the SS.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Sorry. 400+ clams. Now folks will chime in with "where'd you see an XX1 for $300?"
    eBay. Paid less than $300 for each of mine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I'm running 1 x 10 on my MTB and don't miss the front chainrings. I'm running 32T x 11-36T.
    Ditto here. Love it! There are a couple of climbs that my legs ache for a granny, but they get fewer and fewer the more I ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    I'm in the South Bay area.

I was not referring to the larger or single ring setups but rather my 22T ring and 34T sprocket is still a lower gear ratio than a SRAM XX1 28T ring and 42T on the cassette.
    Oh, so you aren't thinking of going 1x. You were only talking about going 2x and getting a bigger cassette. Sorry I read that wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A few years ago I had a Niner RIP9 that had a 22/32/bash set up with 11-34 cassette. I took off the granny, front derailleur, and shifter. I did not like it. I am mostly a single speeder but when I ride full suspension it's all about sitting and spinning. 32/34 was just not a low enough gear. If I ever built up another FS bike I would consider a 1x set up like the One Up with 42 low, but would never spend the money for 11 speed SRAM.

dvn
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    A few years ago I had a Niner RIP9 that had a 22/32/bash set up with 11-34 cassette. I took off the granny, front derailleur, and shifter. I did not like it. I am mostly a single speeder but when I ride full suspension it's all about sitting and spinning. 32/34 was just not a low enough gear. If I ever built up another FS bike I would consider a 1x set up like the One Up with 42 low, but would never spend the money for 11 speed SRAM.
    I mostly ride SS as well. I feel the same way when I get on my FS rig. I hate the way it feels when I try to stand and mash so it's sit and spin for me too. I'm running a 30T narrow wide front with 11-36 rear + added 41T cog. I rarely use the 41 but it's there if I need it. Works for me.
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    Oh I wish I could get rid of that horrible burden of my front derailleur, shifter and chain ring!
    So much more maintenance -- (maybe 1 hour every 5 years)
    So much more weight -- (less than one half of 1 percent additional weight to carry)
    But worst of all is the curse of wider options for gearing, which damages one's soul and weakens one's character!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donn12 View Post
    I am actually thinking about this for a new MTB and also for my CX bike. sram has cx1 coming soon. My road bike has elec shift and I am thinking about something different. has anyone gone to no FD and regretted it?
    I did. For xc racing (on a carbon Epic) I missed the low gearing once getting tired. I could still turn the higher gear, but would end up with sore knees the day after the races. I switched back to the 2x10 and it was all better.

hold my beer & watch this
    Jan 2007
    no regrets here, last 2 bikes have been without a front der.
    Not a lot of big hills in Memphis though, I usually only use 2 to 3 of the gears when riding around here, not sure I have ever used the 36 or 32 tooth rings
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
    -- Robert Heinlein --

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Funny I read your thread and thought, wow! I never use mine either. Just pulled it off! Thanks for the reminder. lol!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dvn View Post
    I mostly ride SS as well. I feel the same way when I get on my FS rig. I hate the way it feels when I try to stand and mash so it's sit and spin for me too. I'm running a 30T narrow wide front with 11-36 rear + added 41T cog. I rarely use the 41 but it's there if I need it. Works for me.
    What is the shift action like on the modified cassette? I imagine you dropped the 17T cog to add the 42T ring. From what I am reading, the transit from 15-19 is loud, especially when dropping through the gears and the 42T is quite a tight clearance to the RD. What RD are you using? Did you have to reverse the distance screw on the RD?

I was considering this option, but in the end I was concerned about shifting action with the 42T setup (1x10). I just went with the 30T Wolf Tooth front ring on a 11-36 rear (1x10). It is too snowy/icy to find out what it is going to be like. I will have to wait for a couple of months to know.

mtbr member
    1x is the only way to go - so much less hassle, and a good way to drop a full pound off the bike. Running 30T RF N/W and never going back to 2x or 3x.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast