mtbr member
    Aug 2012

any real difference between (Benchmark) Thomson elite and Cheapo Kalloys?

I was just about to buy thomson elite for my new Cobia 2012. I do mainly XC riding.

But Kalloys are too popular for their price.

Kalloy Uno SP-712N Forged single piece alloy and SPC-612N carbon tube posts seems to be nice.

Is there a real difference to justify the additional cost? How reliable is the clamping mechanism of Unos? Strong enough to protect my butt from serious injury from breakage?

Value your expert opinions!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have no idea what a Kalloy is but I have a pile of bent and broke seat posts. I finally bit the bullet and purchased a Thomson. Yes the construction is different than most internally with the material beefed up in the front and rear of the post.

Long story short just get a Thomson and be done with it.

29er
    Apr 2010
    only advantage i really see is weight

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    A post is a post. But a thomson is lighter, stronger, and has the best clamp design.

ballbuster
    Studies show you can score 42.5% moar chix.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I prefer them as much for the zero offset clamp design as much as their other great qualities. Very easy to dial in the exact angle you prefer, lightweight, and they just work great in pretty much every way. If you get a 27.2mm Thomson, you can usually transfer it to each new bike if you just use a shim to fit it to each new frame. I like the extra 'give' the slimmer posts afford. I am 6'5" and over 250lbs, and a shimmed seatpost has never given me any problems.

You won't find many disgruntled Thomson seatpost owners, but you can certainly get other seatposts that will work and cost less though.

mtbr member
    Kalloy makes product for many companies who mark it up with their own name on it, their product is solid. Of course Thompson is US made and works of art and provide bragging rights. But both hold your saddle in place equally well in most instances.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    If i am building a frame i always buy a Thomson.
    But, I never change out a seatpost from a complete build for no reason. For instance , the last Giant i bought came w/ a Giant branded post , which worked great, the clamp had a horizontal bolt which made adjustment super easy.
    Buy what you can afford

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    RaceFace evolve seems to be getting good reviews too

Cheesiest
    A former LBS had a story of a roadie being disemboweled by a cheap seatpost. It. Oils have been a marketing ploy, but good enough to get me to stick with Thomson.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I could not resist the temptation and bought the Thomson elite 27.2, 330mm (-: