mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Any Race Face Next SL 2x10 users on 29ers?

Ok, considering the Race face SL 2x10 crankset that comes in 26/38. I've got another thread about the XTR M985 Race crank but this one only comes in a 28/40. I'm looking to see who has the Race Face SL on their 29er. THis would go on my Tallboy 29er. So who is using this on their 29er or even Tallboy owners out there using the Race Face SL? What are your thoughts and opinions, shifting, reliability, durability? This crankset seems to be the lightest out there by far, unless I missed something. Everything on my current build is all XT.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'll let you know later this week. I just got one for my Scott Spark 29er Expert. However I am doing a single chainring setup utilizing a q-rotor 38, no double.

The crank is insanely light, I had an XX crankset before, but this is scary light.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pumaking View Post
    I'll let you know later this week. I just got one for my Scott Spark 29er Expert. However I am doing a single chainring setup utilizing a q-rotor 38, no double.

The crank is insanely light, I had an XX crankset before, but this is scary light.
    Cool, I'm interested in this.

mtbr member
    You can get aluminum Hollowgrams (BB30, I don't remember what the Tallboy is)) or carbon Lightnings/Specialized. Those are lighter.

ups and downs
    Just for comparison of weights: Next SL 2x10 26/38 versus XTR 2x10 Trail 26/38 (w/o BB)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any Race Face Next SL 2x10 users on 29ers?-2012_0331new0002.jpg  

Any Race Face Next SL 2x10 users on 29ers?-2012_0331new0005.jpg  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Just for comparison of weights: Next SL 2x10 26/38 versus XTR 2x10 Trail 26/38 (w/o BB)
    Yeah that is really a huge difference. I'm guessing that XTR is the M985 race? I think the 980 is in the 700's somewhere.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    You can get aluminum Hollowgrams (BB30, I don't remember what the Tallboy is)) or carbon Lightnings/Specialized. Those are lighter.
    I'm sure they are light and more expensive too. Just interested in Race Face SL 2x10, lets stay on that subject. Any body have this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    I'm sure they are light and more expensive too. Just interested in Race Face SL 2x10, lets stay on that subject. Any body have this?
    I'm interested also!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Found out that NEXT XC comes in a 24/36 and for a 29er for me would make most sense. Oh yeah 680 grams is real respectable in terms of weight! Now to find a better price. Here is an example of what I've found:

Race Face Next XC 2x10 - 24/36/Bashring - Hammerheadbikes.com

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Found out that NEXT XC comes in a 24/36 and for a 29er for me would make most sense. Oh yeah 680 grams is real respectable in terms of weight! Now to find a better price. Here is an example of what I've found:

Race Face Next XC 2x10 - 24/36/Bashring - Hammerheadbikes.com
    24/36/bash is the ticket for sure. Is it not offered in the Next SL?
    I have been contemplating going 24/36/bash with the Next SL triple.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitrin View Post
    24/36/bash is the ticket for sure. Is it not offered in the Next SL?
    I have been contemplating going 24/36/bash with the Next SL triple.
    I'm not so sure it is. I've been looking and can't find it. The Raceface website only claims a 26/38 in the SL 2x10. But when you look under the 3X10 is states there is a "Turbine 10 speed 24/36/BASH" I have not seen this for sale anywhere. I think I'm going to have to call Raceface to get a better answer on this. I can't believe how light this thing is.

The only drawback to SL is the price. But what is the difference between the XC and SL? XC is not that much cheaper. Well I'll ask Raceface about this.