mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Answer pro taper carbon bar and clamp-on grips

Do any of you guys know if these bars have reinforced ends for clamp on grips; I love my Ergons.

jms
    mtbr member

Nope

They do not - I've already killed mine using the Cane Creeks.
    My Favorite Peeps:

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Glad you asked this question. I was going to pick these up for a new bike build. I guess I need to go Easton Haven's?
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks This is why I love MTBR

I almost pulled the trigger. JMS, rep added for the save!

mtbr member
    I've been using a Answer Pro Taper Carbon 720 for months with Ergon grips. I have had absolutely no problems. My second bike has a Easton carbon bar and it is no stronger or thicker than the Answer.

Improper torquing of grips on any carbon bar will destroy it.

Why don't you ask Hayes/Answer to get a proper answer.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    P.S. As a matter of fact I've just checked and Answer only make clamp on grips:

Fall Line DH | Answer Products

Why would they make grips that you can not use on their bars.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks for the second opinion Ronnie

Maybe I will give them a shot. I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it. Rep added

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006

It's been a year...any new reports?

I'm thinking about the Answer Protaper Enduro 720 Carbon bar but really don't want to give up my Ergon clamp-on grips. Any past posters from this thread end up running clamp-ons with the Answer Protaper? Has anyone contacted Answer directly?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin View Post
    I'm thinking about the Answer Protaper Enduro 720 Carbon bar but really don't want to give up my Ergon clamp-on grips. Any past posters from this thread end up running clamp-ons with the Answer Protaper? Has anyone contacted Answer directly?
    As I said above, been using Ergon grips for a long time and still have them on a year later. Still no problem. See post #5.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Answer pro taper carbon bar and clamp-on grips

What's the torque spec for the clamps? I have 3 bikes on answer pro taper carbon am handlebars. All have clamp on grips but no torque spec. I use a bit of carbon paste on the inside of the grip...it makes the handlebar look like hell but seems to require less torque to secure the grips.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    What's the torque spec for the clamps? I have 3 bikes on answer pro taper carbon am handlebars. All have clamp on grips but no torque spec. I use a bit of carbon paste on the inside of the grip...it makes the handlebar look like hell but seems to require less torque to secure the grips.
    The last time I asked a handlebar manufacturer what torque to use for the stem and grips, they told me to use the torque specified by the stem and clamp manufacturer. That was Easton but I'm sure the same applies to Answer.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Answer Pro Taper is actually a damn good XC/AM bar. Nothing is immune to improper torque, using "feel."
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    The last time I asked a handlebar manufacturer what torque to use for the stem and grips, they told me to use the torque specified by the stem and clamp manufacturer. That was Easton but I'm sure the same applies to Answer.
    I torque the stem to spec but it is hard/impossible to find the torque spec for the grips.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    I torque the stem to spec but it is hard/impossible to find the torque spec for the grips.
    Ergon grips have the torque spec. printed on the clamp.