mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Another wheels thread - XC race wheelset under 800$

Hi everyone,

just bought a Anthem advanced 1 to use as my marathon/endurance xc race bike and I'm looking at changing the stock giant wheelset.

Although the giant wheelset is apparently not that bad, I'd like to get something a bit lighter. I have a budget of around 800USD.

I shoot for a weight of around 1500g to 1600g. Any suggestion of either parts to build a custom wheel that would weight around that mark or stock wheelset ?

I was considering Am Classic wheels, but I've had issues with their hub durability (play developing in rear the hub after 300km) in the past and I'm hesitant at buying again from them. I'm also skeptical about the durability of the Stans Crest. especially since they I've read they're pretty flexy.

Lastly, I weight around 145lb-150lb, so I'm a fairly light rider.

Thank you all for your suggestion!

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    By the way I didn't mention it but I'm looking at a 29er wheelset.

Hope to get your suggestion!

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    At under 160lbs, you'll find the ZTR Crest plenty stiff. I'm 170 geared-up and they never needed a true, after the initial re-tensioning. The wheels were straight as an arrow after 1200 miles of hard trail use. Mine were 1550g and bombproof. Don't believe everything you read.....believe what you witness yourself!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Cheap Chinese Carbon rims for about $190 each delivered, a great rear hub, a lightweight front hub that doesn't break the bank (it's just a shell, two bearings and axle, afterall), and have a great local wheelbuilder handle the rest. Under 1600 grams and under $800 depending on rear hub such as DT Swiss 350.

Or used Specialized Roval Carbon SL on eBay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The LB carbon rims or wheelset will meet your budget and weight range.
    They have a new hookless rim with 22mm inside width at 380g/$165+ship.
    $568+sh wheelset with Novatec D700 hubs/1500g. I would ask for brass nipples to avoid galvanic corrosion.
    You can probably get this built with hookless rims and make up for the brass nipple weight.
    all mountain 29er carbon mtb wheels clincher tubeless wheel ready Light-Bicycle
    Derby rims are 29mm inside at 445g/$279+sh.
    I would build these with Dt SuperComps and brass nipples.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The LB carbon rims or wheelset will meet your budget and weight range.
    They have a new hookless rim with 22mm inside width at 380g/$165+ship.
    $568+sh wheelset with Novatec D700 hubs/1500g. I would ask for brass nipples to avoid galvanic corrosion.
    You can probably get this built with hookless rims and make up for the brass nipple weight.
    all mountain 29er carbon mtb wheels clincher tubeless wheel ready Light-Bicycle
    Derby rims are 29mm inside at 445g/$279+sh.
    I would build these with Dt SuperComps and brass nipples.
    Any experience with the Light bicycle all mountain wheelset ? I find it hard to believe that such a light wheelset will be durable and reliable.

Thanks!

Professional Crastinator
    OP,
    I have AC hubs from 2007 (Disc 130 front, Disc 225 rear). I ride them all the time ~1000mi./yr. Only needed minor adjustments.
    I would go with AC hubs + whatever rim you need.

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    ... I would ask for brass nipples to avoid galvanic corrosion....
    Never happened to me. I have a set of wheels built in 1993 that have been ridden year round - no evidence of galvanic corrosion. Just a little salt exposure. Where does this start? Between the stainless spoke and the aluminum nipple? Some spoke prep usually fixes that.

Thanks,
    -F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Another wheels thread - XC race wheelset under 800$

Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    OP,
    I have AC hubs from 2007 (Disc 130 front, Disc 225 rear). I ride them all the time ~1000mi./yr. Only needed minor adjustments.
    I would go with AC hubs + whatever rim you need.

Never happened to me. I have a set of wheels built in 1993 that have been ridden year round - no evidence of galvanic corrosion. Just a little salt exposure. Where does this start? Between the stainless spoke and the aluminum nipple? Some spoke prep usually fixes that.

Thanks,
    -F
    Aluminum nipple on a carbon rim.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Anybody knows how to get Novatec hubs online ? I can't seem to find any online retialer that stocks this brand of hubs ?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    eBay or maybe Hubs-MTB
    When going with Novatec be mindful if it's XX1 or 12x142 compatible. My rear Novatec hub is 135QR only, and it came on a very reliable, durable LB wheelset, but it's pretty much stuck on my 29er carbon HT with the traditional dropout. Weight can be kind of high for Novatec hubs depending on freehub material (al, steel).

Quote Originally Posted by NRS_Comp1 View Post
    Anybody knows how to get Novatec hubs online ? I can't seem to find any online retialer that stocks this brand of hubs ?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    As mentioned before I would really consider Light Bicycle Carbon wheels for the money...that really would deliver the best bang for the buck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    As mentioned before I would really consider Light Bicycle Carbon wheels for the money...that really would deliver the best bang for the buck.
    It's hard to argue against the bang for the buck of the light bike wheels, but how trustworthy is this company ? My other concern is getting spokes for these wheels if I happen to break one.

Maybe someone could help me with this but what is the difference between a hookless hook design for rims ? How could this affect conversion to a tubeless setup ?

Laslty, can you use a stans rimstrip with these wheels (the AM version/wider rims)?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You can read more about them via this thread:
    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

181 pages long and still strong (maybe start from end and read backwards), I've been following it all this year via email notifications and am to the point where I wish I would have bought those instead of my Arch EX. Nothing wrong with Arch EX other than being aluminum.

A friend of mine has a friend who is CAT1 and has been rolling on a set of 27.5 rims from them. Apparently he was having trouble with race light wheelsets (aluminum) from other vendor via pulling spokes out or something but he hasn't had any problems with his LB rims. Take that with a grain of salt but it was another test i was monitoring.

The problem with 29er rims is that they get noodley when u try to go light. That's where carbon comes into play, and hence Light Bicycle.

Yeah a few guys have cracked the rims, but they were bottoming them out pretty hard on rocks and stuff but weren't disappointed.